Leadlight 105/110 Modification Stages1,2

liteglow

Enlightened
Re: How to Modify 5mw Leadlight Green Laser upto 4

dont worry... shorten the pot will only give a damn bright beam.. but if it`s stay ON more than 5 sec.. then "maybe" u got a nuclear blast... i dunno...

DarkLight

Enlightened

I shorted mine a sec and was like wow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lite glow what value resistor you using again to short that pot to the diode?

LaserMod

Enlightened

LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Just short it and enjoy it while it lasts...about two hours of use then you'll have a 1mw/expensive battery holder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bond007

Newly Enlightened

I've never trusted myself before with the modifying before, my sense of touch and delicacy would make a baby elephant laugh...

But only 5 minutes ago I had a good read of the pot mod thing and I got my old 5mw out. I managed to hold the button down whilst I was actually turning the pot and I was really pleased lol..

I don't have a coherent laser check but comparing how it changed and also to my 45mw, I'd guess the laser is now more like 15mw and I'm delighted lol,

*checks back pocket*

Anybody fancy selling me a coherent laser check for £3.59 ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wintermute

Enlightened

You could build your own cheap laser power meter with a green LED like SBK by checking out his website here.

drpepper1024

Newly Enlightened

I performed the first two mods on my new leadlight and its tons brighter. I do have a problem because there is some green light leaking out around the dot where it shouldnt be (see the pic, light leak is circled in red). I think it might be a focus issue, but I've tried turning the focus ring and it doesnt seem to help. Does anyone have any suggestions to correct this? I sure hope I havent broken anything.

you can see the image here (sorry i couldn't get the pic inserted into the post):
laser problem you may have to refresh the page once before you can see it, again sorry for the inconveniance

userx

Newly Enlightened

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum and I have a question. I recented got a modded 5mW leadlight laser from z-bolt. The product page (http://z-bolt.com/generic33.html) says that they replaced a few resistors to increase the current load. If I do the pot mod, would the new load be too much? I really dont wanna get a dead laser but on the other hand actually seeing a semi-solid beam at night is pretty cool. And how do you know how much to turn if you're turning the pot without the laser on? Will it just stop turning, or is there a click? Thankss

drpepper1024

Newly Enlightened

userx, im not sure, but your modified laser may have already had the pot mod done to it. In the case that it hasn't been done, you will not feel a click or be unable to turn the pot past a certain point. If you wish to turn the pot while keeping the laser off to reduce the risk of shorting it, turn the pot counter-clockwise a little bit and then switch the laser on. Repeat these very small turns and switch the laser on inbetween every turn. Eventually after one of the turns the laser will become very dim. When this occurs, turn the pot back CLOCKWISE a tiny turn and switch it on. If its gone bright once again then youve done it, otherwise if its still dim give it another small turn clockwise and switch it on again. Hope this helps.

userx

Newly Enlightened

cool, thanks drpepper. I'll try it out once i get back home. Hmm, still one question though. does the resistors that they 'upgraded' affect anything? will it make the current too much?

LaserMod

Enlightened

In my opinion the fact they have had to change surface mounts is a load of...well popcorn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

To increase the current load just for a true 5mw should never be needed and probably hasn't actually been done (well thats what I think anyway).

5mw with the SMR's changed will result in 300-400ma and so must be a very very inefficient MCA and very low battery life and way too much heat and work for the diode. Not good.

The most effcient laser I have seen came from WickedLasers and was putting out 15mw at 180ma. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Userx - whack the pot to the maximum - you have nothing to fear.

LaserMod

Enlightened

Oh and the problem with the leaking green...

UserX you need to turn the diode just a little bit either left or right. There is a small amount of Z movement and that is what causes the diode to be a little off centre.

dyter

Newly Enlightened

with a 360ma, I've got a 30mw and the MCA temperature is stable, but at >360ma, the MCA heat and the power beam down !
The result depend of the diode and MCA quality ...

userx

Newly Enlightened

whoooo!! awesome! it works!! at first i was a bit scared cause i think i turned it a bit too much and it didn't work but just like you guys said, i turned it back slightly and now it's much brighter =] Thanks for all the help guys!

userx

Newly Enlightened

ps: a beam in daylight!!!! =P

userx

Newly Enlightened

pps: hmm, drpepper seems to be right. the 'hole' was pre-drilled already so it seems they have tinkered with it a bit. but since it was only 5mW then, it wasn't much i guess...

Shredhead

Newly Enlightened

what will stage 2 do...i already did the p_mod...will stage 2make it even brighter?

Bond007

Newly Enlightened

Well, yeah, like it says in the first post in the thread!

drpepper1024

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
LaserModifier said:
Oh and the problem with the leaking green...

UserX you need to turn the diode just a little bit either left or right. There is a small amount of Z movement and that is what causes the diode to be a little off centre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried what you said and i still have the little quarter halo of green light outside of the main dot. Maybe I'm being too picky and just need to get over it, but do you have any other suggestions?

bg2vo

Newly Enlightened

Greate post! My EXTREME from WickedLaser looks exactly the same.

herminator

Newly Enlightened

I've just tryed the pot mod, but it doesn not seem to work correctly.

When i tur it on, the beam is wery weak, and slowly increasing in strengt untill it reaches full power. Somethimes it does not increase at all..

help plz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif