Leadlight 105/110 Modification Stages1,2

herminator

Newly Enlightened
Re: How to Modify 5mw Leadlight Green Laser upto 4

uppdate: when i as much as touch the pot with a screwdriver without adjusting at all, the beam increases to full power.

DaFiend

Enlightened

your shorting the pot to the case........ might want to wrap some tape around your screwdriver.

LaserMod

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
drpepper1024 said:
[ QUOTE ]
LaserModifier said:
Oh and the problem with the leaking green...

UserX you need to turn the diode just a little bit either left or right. There is a small amount of Z movement and that is what causes the diode to be a little off centre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried what you said and i still have the little quarter halo of green light outside of the main dot. Maybe I'm being too picky and just need to get over it, but do you have any other suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some 'spill' can be caused when the beam hits the side of the barrel - just try and centre it again - it is very fiddly.

Try holding each of the objects to the light and look for dust particles/hair etc.

herminator

Newly Enlightened

ok.. lets say i shortened the pot to the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
For short periodes, would that damage the diode?

After the pot mod (stage 1) my laser produced a very weak green beam, and somethimes i had to "start" the laser by shortening the pot to the case.

Now i tryed stage 2 of the mod, witch involves loosening the diode and adjusting for max power. During this operation my laser died.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

it seams to me that the doide is fine casue its emitting a deep red light, and lots of IR.
My problem is that i dont get any green light at all, with the all of the lences and parts assembled..

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened

all sound reasonably simple, except i saw a tutorial with a 1ohm resistor soldered across one of the pcb ones to further increase the power, is this recommended?

LaserMod

Enlightened

The MCA will go bang...

Don't say you haven't been warned... only one in every few hundred MCA's can be pushed beyond 50mw.

550ma is the absolute maximum of the diode in my opinion - not had one die at that current (yet).
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

'herminator' if you have taken your laser apart, try reversing the very last lense (that sits on top of the diode) this is the OC mirror and only works one-way.

herminator

Newly Enlightened

ok.. guess i have made some progress on getting green light.

When i turn on the laser i get green light, dim, for a very short time. Like 0,1 secs.

This i with the original positions/setup of the parts, the one that i have always been using..

what is wrong?

xcxeon

Newly Enlightened

To begin with, I would like to say thank you, I just completed both mods on my leadlight in less then 30 mins. The power increase is amazing. I would also like to note, that on the newer model, you can no longer access the pot simply by prying off the switch, as the black plastic piece that covers the switch, no longer has a hole in it. You have you take the laser out of the case, and remove the black plastic piece to adjust the pot.

xcxeon

Newly Enlightened

Heh, I'm not gonna try that, the plastic is very thin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is there any other way to modify a laser like this to increase the output?

DaFiend

Enlightened

you don't use a drill. you use the drill bit by hand.

Uisgdlyast

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
LaserMod said:
[ QUOTE ]
drpepper1024 said:
[ QUOTE ]
LaserModifier said:
Oh and the problem with the leaking green...

UserX you need to turn the diode just a little bit either left or right. There is a small amount of Z movement and that is what causes the diode to be a little off centre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried what you said and i still have the little quarter halo of green light outside of the main dot. Maybe I'm being too picky and just need to get over it, but do you have any other suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some 'spill' can be caused when the beam hits the side of the barrel - just try and centre it again - it is very fiddly.

Try holding each of the objects to the light and look for dust particles/hair etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the same exact problem, i messed around with the laser for hours and still had a little halo.. thought i got it perfect but there is still some leakage. When i shine it next to an object i can see the object shadow on the wall.

I think it might just be the price you pay for the rush...

cy

Flashaholic

what holds the UV filter to brass body? does anyone have a picture that show correct order of internal lens?

08_Diode_Assembly.jpg

09_Diode_Crystal.jpg

Raccoon

Enlightened

all leadlights have splatter. you will not find a pen laser that produces a crisp beam with no light spilling out to the sides.

this is my understanding anyway, someone correct me otherwise.

l337m4n

Newly Enlightened

would it hurt if you take the plastic part out?
EDIT:nevermind i cant even see the POT when i open it up.i can see it buy it is way up there its not close to the switch at all,do i have to take it apart?Or should i just leave it?

Jim Smyth

Newly Enlightened

Well I picked up a Leadlight off ebay recently from vital. When I took the rubber button off there was alreay a hole above the pot. I did the stage 1 modification with a flat bladed screwdriver that had the shaft of the screwdriver covered with a very thin layer of tape so as to not short out the pot while adjusting. It didnt do any good. The pot was already adjusted for max power/light throw. I'm not even going to try the 2nd stage mod because I dont feel it will do much good either and really has the potential to mess up the unit. If you want more power I would recommend saving your money and getting a higher powered unit from the beginning.

bg2vo

Newly Enlightened

I recently bought eight 10mW from CNI(group buy. I'm in Dalian, China).
The background is that one of my friend bought one and I measure the current draw to be 210mA with 10mW output. I modified for him to about 40mW and we are very happy with it.
I called CNI to tell them that I'd like 10mW output with the current draw not greater than 220mA. At some stage they said they can only achieve 10mW with 240-250mA. I insisted I need 210mA or I will have my money back. Finally I got all eight GLP back and the biggest current is 217mA(the smallest is 197mA). Most of those was modified to 30mW-50mW later.

thor

Newly Enlightened
Re: How to Modify 5mw Leadlight Green Laser upto 45mw+

WOW, what an incredible mod! I just got my leadlight off ebay where also you could bid for mod instructions from $5 and up so thats when I googled and got em for free! However on my pointer I removed the laser barrel because unless I angled the screwdriver in there at an extreme angle i wouldnt have been able to hit the pot, let alone turn it at such an angle. So I pulled the barrel out with a pair of mini vice-grips (a little sratch dosnt bother me) and tapped the batteries into a pack while i adjusted the pot. After turning it just a hair the brughtness jumped! I was amazed to see such a difference, anyway, great instructions. Anyone know a good sight for building your own DPSS in the 50-100mw range? More power, more power!!
Thor

DeltZ

Newly Enlightened

is it just me or am i the only person who find it absolutely impossible to remove the aperture lens? it's properly stuck for me. i can't reach the pot under the switch, cause it's a bit too far forward + i broke the thing which lets you use a screw driver to adjust... so i'd need to take the PCB out etc...but...it's properly stuck on that lens. Only thing i've done is scratch and ruin paint job...i've tried everything from slitting knife, vice thingy (not much luck, won't grab on) and biting lol..really annoying me now any pro tactics to remove the front ? :/

SuperBert

Enlightened

i used a vise grip brand pair of pliers and it came off IMMEDIATELY with no scratches or anything. It a second to clamp in on properly, but then it just came right off