Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Right

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • Ambidextrous (very rare - be honest)

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do a few things left handed but using a mouse is easiest because I've got a Trackpoint keyboard so the pointing device is in the middle of the work area.
I've been trying to improve my left hand strength since sometimes I need that more than finesse.

-LT

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Oh, I forgot to mention that I use the mouse right-handed despite being left-handed. I never could get used to it the other way. Maybe I'm semi-ambidextrous, or just very adaptable.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Mostly left handed and footed, but I golf and bat righty. I'll always open a jar with my right hand, too. Can shave with either hand. And I'll use both feet when driving an automatic.

Geoff

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Right handed. My left hand is usually only good for holding things. I can type with it as I am doing now but that is pretty much it.
I once broke my right hand when I was a teenager and had to use my left hand for everything. I never knew how hard it was to place a spoon in my big mouth using my left hand until then. :popcorn: < right handed like me.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay, I did think of a few things I do lefty.

I almost exclusively steer my truck lefty. I pick up and drink with my left.

I can operate a fingernail clipper equally well lefty.

I could shoot fairly well with a pistol lefty, but long guns are right only!

Golf, Bat, Throw etc. all righty.

Interestling thread!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962 said:
.... I don't know if being able to write backwards or upside-down (with my left hand) should be counted as ambidextrous but it's certainly an ability most people don't seem to have.....
I learned to write upside down and backwards while an instructor in the navy. When explaining things to the student on the other side of the desk, facing me, I got in the habit of making my notes on drawings, etc. this way so it was readable by the student. Not very pretty, but readable.

cosine

Newly Enlightened
I didn't vote 'cause I don't know what to vote!
I write with my right
I throw with my right
I eat with my left (fork in left hand)
I open bottles and jars with my left
I carry things, move things, etc. with both my right and left equally

So, am I right handed because I write with my right, left handed because I eat and open things with my left, or am I ambidextrous because I split many tasks between my right and left hands? :thinking:

I never have found a satisfactory answer to that question.

Edit: Okay, I voted right handed. I think that's pretty accurate.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, it's about 37% left handed. That's like better than 3 times the Western average (see "More" link in first post). Interesting, we're gettin' close to the number of left handeds in insane asylums....

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
nerdgineer said:
So far, it's about 37% left handed. That's like better than 3 times the Western average (see "More" link in first post). Interesting, we're gettin' close to the number of left handeds in insane asylums....
Well that should tell you something right there. :)

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
I write with my left if i dont want others to recognise my handwriting - oops...

I left foot brake though.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I can do everything equally well either hand. Even shooting handguns. I keep a flashlight on either side, as well as a knife. My natural inclination is right, but I fight it all the time and use my left. I had my right arm boken twice when in the third and fifth grade, so had to learn to use my left. Have kept it up to this day.

Last edited:

vaism

Newly Enlightened
Clear blue ocean & windswept coconut trees..
Left hand
  1. Punch
  2. Write, spin a pen
  3. Use Chopsticks and forks
  4. Shoot a basketball, Badminton etc..
Right Hand
  1. Wave
  2. Use a spoon
  3. Dribble a basketball, and lay-up.
  4. Use a mouse
  5. Open doors
Left leg
  1. Kick someone
Right Leg
  1. Kick something (Like a ball)
:shrug: I don't know.. somehow kicking someone and kicking a ball registers differently in my mind. I feel weird kicking someone with my right leg. And feel weird kicking a ball with my left leg. :thinking:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
I voted left-handed, but I use scissors and can openers with my right hand while I write with my left hand.
If I attempt to write with my right hand, it comes out backward and inverted - the writing can be read in a mirror. :sick2:

cool! you can write a secret letter with that ability.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a lefty as well as my sister, but my brother is a righty(I'm a triplet). I play guitar right handed. I started playing when I was 13 and couldn't afford or find many left-handed models, so I went with a right-handed model.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice a lot of folks handedness varies with the task "at hand" -- same for me. I'm right-handed when using only one hand, such as with writing, eating, and hammering. But with two-handed tools (axe, shovel, bat) I'm left-handed. Hmmm.

Paul

Zigzago

Enlightened
Yes, I'm surprized how many people are "mixed" like me. I thought I was more of an oddity.

Left Hand: Write, throw, fork

Right Hand: Knife, gun, scissors, hammer, bat, mouse

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Let's see if I can break things down here...

Left hand: Use a pen/pencil, use a computer mouse, swing a baseball bat, throw a bowling ball

Right hand: Use silverware, use a can opener, use a pair of scissors, play a guitar, play a violin, use a letter opener

Left leg: Kick something (ball, empty box etc.)

Right leg: Kick somebody

Both hands: Wave to somebody, shake hands, type on a keyboard, use cigerretes & lighter, use a remote control, steer an electric wheelchair, shine a flashlight, cut something (such as a sealed box) with a knife, stab something with a knife, shoot a gun, use a sword

There may be things I forgot, but these are things I thought of right at the moment.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
You might be surprised to know.....

I have 'worn' a Spyderco Military pocket knife for many years, always on my right side, either in my rear pocket (until I found out it wore out the fabric of the trousers very fast), or inside the right hip pocket (or front pocket, depending how you view pockets), or inside the RIGHT hand rear waistband of my trousers.

I'm LEFT HANDED !. I generally open the Spyderco with the right hand as I draw it from it's position in/on my trousers, but for precise cuttng, or any cutting that wasn't an emergency, I'd then put it, opened, into my left hand....

It's like when I used to shoot pistol (until they banned pistols in Britain), it feels natural to draw and deploy the knife with the 'pistol' hand (and again, I'm left handed, but shoot pistol right handed by preference).

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid left handed equipment of any type was rare to come by, at least in our neck of the woods, and considerably more expensive. So I learned to play sports, shoot and hunt all right handed. I instinctively shoot bow to this day right handed, and shoot firearms best right handed, however being left eye dominant, I have to close my left eye to shoot handgun well or my left eye tries to take over the sighting. Most handguns do not have enough adjustment in the sights to allow me to adjust them properly, if they do, the sight is buried right as far as it will go.