Lights that dangle around your neck or attach to your keys.....

roguesw

Enlightened
Surefire L4. Its more like whats attached to the light rather than whats attached to the key.
Its been my keychain light for the last 4 and a half years. Its held up well, and its been upgraded to a brighter Lux V but a MC-E is in the works.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a Fenix Lop around my neck, and a fenix P1CE on my gadgetring (it has had the "o"ring replaced, with one from a minimag AA, to make the action a bit stiffer, it used to turn on in my pocket

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
I broke down and put my Lummi Wee NS on my keyring. I was leery of putting it in the pocket with the keys, but it's too great a light to just sit on the shelf and admire. It replaced one of those neat little coin cell lights from Battery Junction.

I'm not really a collector, but neither am I one of those totally pragmatic guys who refuse to keep anything they don't use regularly. Is there a name for that situation? Maybe an "appreciator" of fine lights?

USP9c

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Photon look-alike with a red LED. Not very bright and it sort of tints the way everything looks but it's sure gotten me out of a lot of scrapes.

gorn

Enlightened
I have a La Patite Killer on a chain around my neck and have had a Peak brass in my pocket for years. Never had a problem with the Peak unscrewing.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I've now got a titanium Lummi Wee with ice blue tritium locaters on a titanium chain around my neck. Total weight including chain and battery is only 16 grams!

litetube

Enlightened
This brings up something that bothers me and I cant seem to find a good answer for.

Why do flashlight makers continue to make twisty lights designed for keychain carry or similar modes of transport, with the "OFF" position requiring you to loosen the head and "ON" you tighten the head down. It should be the reverse since the light is carried and banged around constantly in this type of carry .Plus it makes the light more resistant to intrusion of crud and such also during EDC . There are a cpl light makers who realize this but 90% don't.

The OP has experienced this flaw first hand , it can and will happen.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
This brings up something that bothers me and I cant seem to find a good answer for.

Why do flashlight makers continue to make twisty lights designed for keychain carry or similar modes of transport, with the "OFF" position requiring you to loosen the head and "ON" you tighten the head down. It should be the reverse since the light is carried and banged around constantly in this type of carry .Plus it makes the light more resistant to intrusion of crud and such also during EDC . There are a cpl light makers who realize this but 90% don't.

I asked this a few times, but no one has ever given me a satisfactory answer. My guess is it follows the tradition of lights in the old days when you need to untwist to disconnect. :shrug:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I asked this a few times, but no one has ever given me a satisfactory answer. My guess is it follows the tradition of lights in the old days when you need to untwist to disconnect. :shrug:
What would appear obvious to me is that it is easier to design twisty lights to contact the battery upon tightening and just simply be the easiest way to have them operate.

I have a Draco on my neck lanyard, no lights on my keys.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that's the main reason -- the simplest methods of breaking a circuit involve moving the two ends apart, not together. The problem with a Mag-style (i.e. minimag or solitaire) twisty is that it takes more length. In fact, it takes up just about as much length as a clicky, but most people seem to prefer twisties as keychain lights because they're shorter. It's a no-brainer, then, that it'll be hard to compete by selling a bigger light that costs more to make.

I suspect there's also a slight reliability penalty for loosen-on twisties (given the same level of dust intrusion), inasmuch as you can't readily guarantee twisting to self-clean the contact surfaces. A tighten-on also allows you to more readily clean all contact surfaces yourself. With those, the loosen-on's advantage for storage in dirty environments doesn't strike me as a clear win.

But I do prefer the way loosen-on lights handle -- I can crank down the head as securely as needed to prevent accidental loosening, but once it's cracked open, I don't have a heavily-compressed o-ring stiffening it up, so I can twist it on and off freely.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would appear obvious to me is that it is easier to design twisty lights to contact the battery upon tightening and just simply be the easiest way to have them operate.

I understand that and users have proved both way works. :)
In your opinion, do you think having tightened for off is a better idea?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
fenix E0... Its lighter than the E01 and less lumens too so IMHO its better suited for neck EDC and night vision preservation. Paired with a surefire neck lanyard its a great low $$$ setup.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still have a Fenix E0 on the keys. For neck carry while walking the dog I use my Sapphire. The Sapphire will replace my Fenix E01 for neck carry for this summers upcoming camping trips as well.

Disco888

Newly Enlightened
found a fenix e01 cheap on ebay so gone for one of those--didn't realise how much I used my torch on my keys until I didn't have it.....when I've got a few more quid a lummi would be nice

Disco

Latest posts