Lost in the wilderness, which lights?

watt4

Enlightened
waterproof, long runtime

cctreklight01fd0.jpg

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, here's the situation, you've been backpacking for the first time but you're a flashaholic. You're lost, which lights do you have or wish you had with you? Try to be realistic. :confused:
thinking.gif

OK... which lights do you have with you when you're lost? the same ones you had before you got lost!

Keeping that in mind, and being (as a first-time backpacker) more likely to overpack than underpack, I'd probably wind up with:
  • Big guns with unique fodder, all or most of which should have been left at home
  • 4D MagP7 (Yes, all the more experienced backpackers will laugh at the first-timer with his 4D light. And it's quite likely I don't bring it next time...)
    • 4xD Li-ion in the pipe (190m)
    • 4x2AA to D adapters to use Li AA cells as backups.
  • Stanley 5W LED spotlight (My best LED thrower)
    • Integrated 7.2V NiMH pack, not sure what runtime.
  • 2C Mag61, if it was a short trip (on a long trip, the 2 hours total runtime makes it pointless weight, even to a flashaholic)
    • 3 loads of 2x25500 (~35m)
    • 1 load of 2x18650 (~20m)

A couple 10440 lights (total of 6 cells, 3 in lights and 3 spares)
  • 5mW green laser
    • 1x10440
  • Akoray K-102
    • 1x10440 (~45m)
    • Could use 1xAAA, but I wouldn't have any.
  • Fenix E01
    • 1x10440 (~10h maybe)
    • Could use 1xAAA, but I wouldn't have any.

And a bunch of AA/14500 lights (total of 6 14500s, 4 in lights and 2 spares, plus lots of Li AA, 5 in lights and numerous spares)
  • Nitecore EZAA (assuming it gets here by then)
    • Lithium AA (89m high, ~24h low)
  • Akoray K-105
    • 14500 (~45m high, >10h low)
    • 1x Lithium AA, should be similar or longer, but less output on high
  • Energizer 4xAA CCFL/5mm LED
    • 4xLithium AA (estimated ~10h CCFL)
  • Garrity 1W 3xAA headlamp, modded for 3x14500 and anisotropic flood beam (runs on 1x, 2x, or 3x14500 in parallel, so I could poach a battery or two for the K-105, or vice versa)
    • 1x14500 (~2.5h high, ~10h low, maybe 24+h on 1x5mm white; should scale linearly with 2 or 3 cells)
    • 3xLithium AA (original config, field-convertible with pocketknife if I run out of Li-ions; should be comparable or better than 3p Li-ion)

Of these, the only really useful ones would be the headlamp (for seeing where I'm going while walking), the EZAA and/or K-105 (general purpose lighting things up), the laser (for signaling), and maybe one of the big guns (also for signaling), and I'd probably conserve batteries accordingly.

If that's all I'll use, why am I taking all the others? Good question, but you said it's my first time backpacking, and I would rather be on the safe side until I actually do have my own experience to rule some of them out.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of all my lights I'd pick either fenix P3D or Novatac, just so I can have it blink SOS while I sleep at night.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those CC Trek lights were nice until the positive contact solder blob wore out and the other contact on the circuit board got cut through with the metal spine that went up the battery tube. Plus, the positive contact solder blob crushed the positive end of batteries. Once the solder blob wore out all the way, the l.e.d.s were left with poor contact between the leads and the circuit board. I had a CC Trek and a CC Expedition (the earlier 7 l.e.d. one). Neither light works anymore due to that major flaw. When they worked, however, they were the brightest l.e.d. lights made and the l.e.d.s were the whitest available at the time. Now, for the cost of the CC Expedition ($60), I can get a much brighter Fenix P3D Q5. L.e.d. technology has come a long way since then as I can get a 200+ lumen light for the cost of an older 25 lumen light.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight T-15= General purpose pocket light
Gerber IU=backup light and/or spare battery holder :D
Princeton Tec Eos=Headlamp for the trail and around camp. Looking to upgrade to a aa headlamp so I can keep everything on the same type of battery

Somy Nex

Enlightened
is anyone gonna be looking for me? if so then i'd be carrying my mini-HID =) i'm sure someone would be able to locate a beam ~1km into the sky =)

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Okay, here's the situation, you've been backpacking for the first time but you're a flashaholic. You're lost, which lights do you have or wish you had with you? Try to be realistic. :confused:
thinking.gif

Lights from my collection I would want to have:

Olight Titanium Infinitum
AmondoTech HID N30
Husky 4W 2D Tactical
Wicked Lasers CORE

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
H30
P1D Q5
L1
A2

If I was hunting instead of a multi day backpack trip I'd probably take a HID Xenide25 with me.

A couple of years ago my AE24/S HID helped to get me back to camp in what would have otherwise been a cold, wet night in the forest at 8000' elevation. I was archery hunting deer and got on the trail of a bachelor group which led me over hill and dale. I didn't have my GPS because my buddy borrowed it to get coordinates and didn't put it back in my pack which I discovered after I was in the field......:ohgeez: Although I was trying to be careful there was no star or sunset reference due to the clouds but I did have two compasses and a laminated map. After calming down and being at easy with the fact that I might be stuck for the night I gathered myself and with some estimates and a few recognizable terrain features I found the edge of the dried lake near our camp. I just barely caught the east end of the 1000 yard lake after walking about 3 miles which I only saw because I had the HID. It took nearly three stressful hours but without the monster throw of the HID I really don't think I would have made it back that night. It was raining the entire time and I arrived at camp just as my second battery pooped out around 10:00PM. After that experience I normally shove the AE24 or Xenide25 in my pack religiously. I'm also much more careful about intentionally placing hands on my GPS before I head out.

Spence

Enlightened
I think it's really evident that we flashaholics find comfort and reassurance in packing our perceptive best lights, including headlights and back-ups. I think this flashaholic said it best:

WADUS:
"This is a hobby, just like knife, coin, or stamp collecting, and not everything has to have a purpose as long as I get enjoyment out of it. This hobby just happens to be useful sometimes!" :candle:

I think that justifies overpacking favorite lights and spares to make us feel prepared and secure for the worst case scenario. I, personally have over a hundred lights, but I can only use 3 at a time.
hahaha.gif
LOL
str.gif
buttrock.gif

TO: Patriot- That was quite a story. I hate it when someone I know borrows something important and doesn't return it or put it back where it belongs...just for situations like yours.
There have been some great replies to this question/thread. Thanks so much.

Now I think I would pack and use:
Princeton Tech Apex headllight-4 X AA
Fenix PD20-1 X CR123
SureFire L1 Lumamax-1 X CR123
Spares carrier pouch with: 8 X AA's, 6 X CR123's

To hard core backpackers that would be alot of extra weight, but that's what it would take to still my troubled waters if I were lost. Of course the GPS running on AA's would really help as well.
My thanks to everyone.lovecpf:thumbsup:
wink2.gif

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was backpacking I'd never carry more than one light (with the possible exception of a Photon Freedom around my neck). I'd carry something small and tight with a long runtime -- like an old CMG Infinity (not Ultra) with a bright colored LED like blue/green. The Infinity with a blue/green LED is very nearly as bright as the old CMG Infinity Ultra with a white LED -- but the blue/green Infinity had a runtime of 40 hours to 50%. That's what I'd want.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was backpacking I'd never carry more than one light (with the possible exception of a Photon Freedom around my neck). I'd carry something small and tight with a long runtime -- like an old CMG Infinity (not Ultra) with a bright colored LED like blue/green. The Infinity with a blue/green LED is very nearly as bright as the old CMG Infinity Ultra with a white LED -- but the blue/green Infinity had a runtime of 40 hours to 50%. That's what I'd want.

Mono-chromatic light is pretty lousy for trail finding and a few other uses like trying to find the red wool top in your pack. For instance a blue blaze on a tree would become near invisible.

Now I think I would pack and use:
Spares carrier pouch with: 8 X AA's, 6 X CR123's...

Here is a brilliant way to carry 8AA spares (hyperlink).

:devil:

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mono-chromatic light is pretty lousy for trail finding and a few other uses like trying to find the red wool top in your pack. For instance a blue blaze on a tree would become near invisible...
Different strokes f/different folks... :D

325addict

Enlightened
L1 LumaMax as a backup to a C3, which I would prefer over a LED-light due to the color of the light. C3 too big / too heavy? Take an E1e..... and have plenty of extra batteries (they are light!)

BEFORE you actually go, just go into dark AND wet woods to see how bad a LED-based light actually is under these circumstances. Only when you have seen that black & white world a LED gives you, take out any decent incan, switch it on and.... WHOOWW!! NOW I can see what COLOR that tree has.... it isn't black at all, it's dark brown.... and the grass is green now!

Try it... and I'm sure even the most hardcore LED-supporter will (re)turn to an incan then :grin2:

Timmo.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Of my current collection I would have my Novatac 120P, Jetbeam III-M, and MRV P7 mod. I keep these three lights with or near me any given day anyway, as well as others. The zipper pouch that came with my Keltec P32 holds14 CR123 cells in a ziplock. I also like the 2L bottle blanks for spares carrying.

+1 to spence and wadus. I like USEFUL hobbies! :thumbsup:

yowzer

Enlightened
It's very rare that someone says "It's a good day for going outside and getting lost." Thus, my lights would be the same ones I take on normal hiking or backpacking trips: A headlamp and a single-cell light using the same battery size as the headlamp (Usually AAA, at least until I get a zebralight). Maybe a 2AA light as well if I'm planning on night hiking.

Also, I wouldn't get lost at all, because I volunteer with search and rescue and having to be found by people I know would be too embarrassing. :ohgeez: I'd never live it down.