Malkoff M61SHO

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Brasso said:
To each their own. This is why I won't buy any more. There are only so many needs for a single output light, and those are covered. What I would like is a Malkoff based light that I can edc. This doesn't exist yet precisely because they are only single output.

Even a resistor ring made for a Valiant style head would be sufficient, but this doesn't exist either. He won't even make a high/low ring for the M31 models. My 2 duty lights have malkoffs. That's all need them for until he adds modes. All my money is going to Zebralight lately.

Very well said! I feel the exact same way. I had an original MD2 with hi/low ring loaded with a M61w (3700k). I loved it but even two modes were not enough for me. All of my money is also going to Zebralight lately.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
450 lumens?! Pretty cool. Love to see this in an optic. In a M60 flood it would be similar to the MCE in terms of output but with twice the runtime. In the M60 with the 8 degree optic the throw would be awesome.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
To each their own...

I have a M91 in a stretched 9P and while I'm really impressed with the output I prefer the M61L better. Even that one is too bright in most circumstances. But then again if I can pick one up cheap like I did my M91 I will.

Glock 22

Enlightened
Could somebody post a beamshot? I'm dying to see one. It would be greatly appreciated.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the weekend, but I should be home tomorrow night. Based on when I ordered it (and Gene's typical shipping times) I should have an SHO waiting for me when I get there. I will definitely get a beam shot although it will be my only cool Malkoff, so it will probably look a bit blue. I've never tried to adjust anything to get the white balance right. I'm open to any tips anyone is willing to provide.

Also, I don't know if this is getting ahead of myself, but has anyone thought about the implications of a Hound Dog XP-G2? Just some back of the envelope math here... the original Hound Dog XP-G does 325 lumens compared to 260 in an M61. That's 20% more output in the Hound Dog, presumably because the additional mass could help dissipate some of the extra heat. If we apply the same math to the theoretical "Hound Dog XP-G2" that's 540 lumens! Not factoring in how the slight change in the LED's optic angle will affect the throw, we can assume some massively improved throw relative to the original HD (based just on brute force) and probably improved throw over the HD XM-L because of the smaller LED.

Thoughts?

Jay T

Enlightened
Some quick Bathroom bounce tests with my lightmeter.

M61 30 lux
M61 HO 38 lux
M61 SHO 54 lux

The beam profiles are the pretty much the same, so if you want a beamshot just download one from an M61 and lighten it. The color tint on the SHO is a little nicer, while both the HO and the SHO are cool the SHO seems to be a little more pure.

Both the HO and SHO draw about the same current at the tailcap.

Edited to add M61 readings

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

M61 HO 38 lux
M61 SHO 54 lux

The beam profiles are the pretty much the same, so if you want a beamshot just download one from an M61 and lighten it. The color tint on the SHO is a little nicer, while both the HO and the SHO are cool the SHO seems to be a little more pure.

Both draw about the same current at the tailcap.
very nice, thanks for the info!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

M61 HO 38 lux
M61 SHO 54 lux

Both draw about the same current at the tailcap.

Here are some additional comparative bounce test results. I threw in a few other Malkoffs and some other lights that were close at hand to give more comparisons.

LightLuxMfr. Lumen Rating
Surefire M3LT/UB334800
Surefire M6 (MN21)28500 (yeah right :devil:)
Nailbender XML23600
Surefire Fury22500
Malkoff M91 (3x123)19500
4Sevens X7 Maelstrom17480
Malkoff MD60 (3x123)17450
Malkoff M61SHO (3x123)16450
Surefire M4 (MN60)12225
Malkoff M61 (3x123)11260
Surefire 6PX8200
Malkoff M607?
Surefire AZ27150

These pretty well match what I saw with my eye. The differences were noticeable between the M61 and M61SHO (big difference) as well as between the M61SHO and M91 (much smaller difference). All of the Malkoffs were run on 3 new Surefire CR123's during these tests.

Just playing around indoors, I think I prefer the color of the M61SHO over my M61's but I will have a better idea after the sun goes down.

Last edited:

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
I believe the reason for one mode is due to the fact these models are meant as drop-in replacement for surefire lights; surefire lights are mainly tactical in nature and have only one mode for this reason; They were never designed for general purpose needs.

Perhaps if enough interest in multi-mode setups was expressed, Malkoff may offer them in the future.

sf

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
880arm, try that MN60 with 3X16340's, and measure at 30 seconds. You will be impressed. I have used 3X17650's, or 3X17500's. with extenders, and it is absolutely outstanding. If using bored bodies, then use 18mm cells. 16340's is pushing the mAh specs of the cells, but good cells will be fine if not used non stop.

Bill

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay... as promised, some beam shots and numbers for the newly arrived M61SHO. As I've said previously, I only own warm/High CRI Malkoff's so I don't have a good tint comparison, but the shape of the beam should be apparent. Also note, I lent my camera to a friend on Friday and forgot to get it back so these are cell phone pictures :sick2:. Wall shots are white balanced to "florescent" which was the best of my options and taken at 100 ISO.

First, for comparison:

M61 219 in MD2 with 2 x CR123a

RxIdG.jpg

M61W (3700) in MD2 with 2 x CR123a

pKLye.jpg

M91W in MD3 with 3 x CR123a

YO6Nx.jpg

and finally, M61SHO in MD2 with 2 x CR123a

4BaJg.jpg

I also took some very quick outdoor beam shots but again, this needs to be done by someone with a proper camera. Kept the white balance at "florescent" but bumped ISO up to 400 (in retrospect, should have been higher).

Same configuration, same order:

M61 219

TxlMf.jpg

M61W

78hut.jpg

M91W

5Gtpz.jpg

M61 SHO

3dON8.jpg

And for the numbers...

These are 1 meter lux numbers taken with my lux meter at the brightest part of the hot spot about 10 seconds after turn on. Note: I do not have a lab setup, these numbers should be considered only as relative to each other.

M61 219: 1760
M61W: 2050
M91W: 2300
M61 SHO: 5870 :eek:oo:

And just for kicks, I took a ceiling bounce test to compare my M91W with the SHO:

M91W: 38.4
M61SHO: 40.9 (a hair over 6% brighter)

Impressions are as follows:

I didn't know what to expect in terms of the beam profile. In my mind, it could have been a wider or narrower hot spot than the M61. If the pictures are any indication, the hot spot is definitely larger, but it is also noticeably more intense. It's tough to speak about the spill since the higher intensity of the hot spot diminishes any perceived increase in the brightness of the spill, however I suspect it is also significantly brighter.

In general, the beam is flawless. Very smooth transition from hot spot to spill, no rings like the M61 219 or irregularities like the M91W. It's as if the reflector was made for the LED. I am very, very happy with the performance of the light, especially on 2 x CR123a. The ability to run this fully regulated in an MD2 is awesome. The M91W runs at almost full power on 2 new cells but it eventually starts to taper outside of regulation.

I'm clearly a warm tint guy, but the tint on this is actually very nice. Quite obviously cooler than the warm drop ins but not a hint of blue. Just bright white. That said, I will be first in line for an M61 SHOW :devil:

Also, I have no idea what this would look like but we need to get this thing in a Hound Dog head. If it throws half as well as I think it will in that big deep reflector, the potential for a shorty 2 cell pocket thrower with Malkoff toughness is extremely enticing.

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers!

-G

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
880arm, try that MN60 with 3X16340's, and measure at 30 seconds. You will be impressed. I have used 3X17650's, or 3X17500's. with extenders, and it is absolutely outstanding. If using bored bodies, then use 18mm cells. 16340's is pushing the mAh specs of the cells, but good cells will be fine if not used non stop.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the tip. Right now I don't own 3 of any single rechargeable battery type but I will give this a try after I order some more.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
GeoBruin, thanks for the pics they look great. I was going to take some last night but I couldn't find my camera . . . . but I don't think I would have done any better than you did with your phone!

In my earlier post I made a comment that my M91 was noticeably brighter than the M61SHO, when bouncing them off the ceiling, but I couldn't tell any difference when outside. I don't think I could have picked which was which, based on brightness, if I wasn't holding the lights in my hands.

Also, while outside it was interesting to compare the M61SHO to the Fury. The Fury definitely had the brighter hot spot (and more throw) but the M61SHO was more effective for me at distances up to 100' due to the noticeably brighter spill. I didn't have the opportunity to compare them at longer distances.