Malkoff M61SHO

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
i've not found a huge difference in wall shining on other lights, but the differences become more apparently outside in real usage

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't quite know how to explain that your M60 "definitely" out throws the SHO. The comparative lux numbers taken by myself and others in this thread show that the SHO produces comparable to slightly higher 1 meter lux values than the M60. This could be the result of the contracting retina phenomenon where because the SHO is producing twice the output of your M60, your eyes are adjusting to let in less light, making the M60 look comparatively more intense. The numbers seem to suggest similar intensity at the hotspot with a ton more spill.

You know, I've followed this thread for awhile and ended up buying my own M61SHO. I have an original hand engraved M60, an M61 original version and now a M61SHO. From the naked eye I can honestly say that the M60 definitely out throws the both of my other two Malkoff's, granted it has MUCH less spill. Whats surprising though is that other than tint, I really can't see difference between my M61 and the M61SHO. The SHO MIGHT have a little more even spill is all. I can't say I'd buy it again due to this. Just a casual observation here folks. Has any one else noticed this at all?

Dan

N/Apower

Enlightened
I am considering this for a weapon light. Currently, I run an M600C. Spill is adequate, but throw is what I am interested in. The M600C = E2DL on high.

Based on the LUX readings of the SHO (5-6,000@1M), it looks like it just puts out more light in the spill, but the M600C SHOULD out-throw it (I keep finding LUX 1M readings of around 6-7,000)

Is my understanding that the M600C/E2DL throws further, although with less spill, or do the extra lumens of the M61SHO somehow off-set the lower LUX readings? If anyone has compared the two, that would be great!

Thanks!

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted come crappy beam shots early in this thread. I've been meaning to do some proper beam shots however so maybe this weekend will be the time.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so would it matter or be very noticeable of a difference if I wanted a 'distance'/throw light if i chose an M61SHO versus an M91A?

also what does the "A" mean for Malkoff stuff?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
so would it matter or be very noticeable of a difference if I wanted a 'distance'/throw light if i chose an M61SHO versus an M91A?

We need to have a beam center lux figure for the M91A. I don't know what that figure is.
The M61SHO and the M60 are fairly similar lux figures in the beam center, and the M60 throws about 150 yards down my dark street, so the SHO is probably right around that throw distance too.
Somewhere between 5000-6000 lux for both of those modules.

If somebody has the lux figure for the M91A, we can make some good estimates based on that.

For a comparison, the Hound Dog has a lux of about 20,000, and in my dark street it throws about 250 yards.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about an M61SHO for a few weeks for an MD3, as an upgrade over the HO. I'd be very surprised if it would throw better than my E2DL.

I may be one step closer to picking up an SHO. I realized that the A12 exists, so I should be able to add it to my M951 (on a 6.8 SPC AR) so it'll accept three primaries. I realize I could use an A19, but I'd rather have the added length on the head end instead of the tail end.

I could use the M61HO in the M951, which would free up the MD3 for the SHO. This would pair up well with the other MD3 with an M91A. :)

Grizz

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I actually got down to taking some decent beam shots this evening. Unfortunately, I don't have an M91A but there's one in my future and I'll update this at that point.

First of all, I am not a photographer. It stresses me out having to switch my camera from "auto" to change all the settings for these beam shots. Please go easy on me.

These were taken at 30 feet but I zoomed so that my little diorama filled the viewfinder. Taken at F6.3 for 1", ISO 100 and white balance set to "Daylight Fluorescent" (camera won't let me just pick a CCT). After looking at these, they brighter in real life, but not terribly. I stuck my lux meter in the pictures so I will provide lux numbers with each shot:

Control (0 Lux)

gTqk8.jpg

M61 (42 Lux)

LLLiN.jpg

M61W (23 Lux)

lYI7n.jpg

M61 219 (21 Lux)

9wNtF.jpg

M91W (30 Lux)

HuSEc.jpg

M61SHO (68 Lux)

YRCur.jpg

And just for kicks, a Hound Dog XM-L (271 Lux)

rhKkg.jpg

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great!

I want this thing if for no other reason than because my 6p will be an SHO (if I could only SHO my truck into a raptor this cheap)!

Last edited:

arvetus

Newly Enlightened

The M91 is very floody. The hotspot is quite small. It is designed as a flood. You will get more throw from an M61 or M61SHO.
The M91a is the new model and has a bit more output than the M91, but the beam pattern is the same.

Great!

I want this thing if for no other reason than because my 6p will be an SHO (if I could only SHO my truck into a raptor this cheap)!

I have the M61SHO in my 9p. It will not run for long in a 6p. It requires high voltage to run it, and it will not last near as long in a 6p as it would a 9p.
I have the standard M61 in my 6p...

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the M61SHO in my 9p. It will not run for long in a 6p. It requires high voltage to run it, and it will not last near as long in a 6p as it would a 9p.

Malkoff's website says 1.25 - 1.5 hours on two primaries. I've run through one set of primaries in an MD2 and this is about right. It's not as long as a 9P but it's far from useless run time.

arvetus

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it's not totally useless, but on 2 cells, it will have little to no taper once that voltage drops below 6v...
I don't know if the extra cell in the 9p matters, but Malkoff claims it has a bit longer taper with 3 primaries rather than 2.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my M61SHO today. First impressions was un-impressive. Like the others said, on the wall it does not look to be much brighter than a regular M61. First time outside afterdark = AWESOMENESS! Noticeable throw improvement, and the spill beam is not too far off from a M91. Perfect beam and a nice cool tint. The rest of the M61 line up should be offered with the Gen 2 XPG.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SHO should arrive tomorrow or Saturday. :)

Improved throw over the M61 is exactly what I'm looking for. My next drop-in may need to be an M60, especially if the two mode VME head comes to light (Ha!!).

Grizz

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
leon2245 said:
Great!

Well so far I've only tried the m61, m61LL, & m61LLL in mine, but from what you're saying it sounds like the m61-sho will NOT run as long!! Thanks for the heads up!!

rwi45z.jpg

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SHO arrived today. Come darkness, I'm ready. :twothumbs

I found a park that's not too far from home that may work out, as long as it's dark. My neighborhood is well lit (I guess that's a good thing).

Gonna compare it to the M61 and M91A varieties. I may even try some outdoor beamshots.

Grizz

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering this for a weapon light. Currently, I run an M600C. Spill is adequate, but throw is what I am interested in. The M600C = E2DL on high.

Based on the LUX readings of the SHO (5-6,000@1M), it looks like it just puts out more light in the spill, but the M600C SHOULD out-throw it (I keep finding LUX 1M readings of around 6-7,000)

Is my understanding that the M600C/E2DL throws further, although with less spill, or do the extra lumens of the M61SHO somehow off-set the lower LUX readings? If anyone has compared the two, that would be great!

Thanks!

I compared the SHO with the E2DL, and was surprised at the result. At 140 long steps (didn't bring my range finder) they were close enough that I'd need a light meter to tell for sure which one put more lux on target. I wasn't able to increase the distance to the target, but I'm not certain another 50 yards would have changed the outcome. The E2DL definitely uses its measly 200 lumens to great effect. Maybe I'll start some research for a meter so I can be more certain with my tests.

Grizz

N/Apower

Enlightened
I compared the SHO with the E2DL, and was surprised at the result. At 140 long steps (didn't bring my range finder) they were close enough that I'd need a light meter to tell for sure which one put more lux on target. I wasn't able to increase the distance to the target, but I'm not certain another 50 yards would have changed the outcome. The E2DL definitely uses its measly 200 lumens to great effect. Maybe I'll start some research for a meter so I can be more certain with my tests.

Grizz

I purchased Nailbender's version, which is a 5000K tint XP-G2 driven at 1.4A with a voltage input of 2.8-6. It uses a LOP reflector.

My impression is that this is somewhere between the XP-G and XM-L. The tint is warmer than my M600C (E2DL in non-weapon format), and it has a TON! more spill, and the hot-spot is for sure a lot larger. However, the throw of the two lights seems roughly equivalent with the edge going to the M600C. Inside on my wall, I can pass the M600C hot-spot through the XP-G2's hot-spot and "see it" all the way through the beam as I move it. At distance in my apartment complex (sprawling, poorly lit corners in areas), the M600C seems to illuminate things just fine, albeit in a 6-6500K tint vs. the 5K tint.

My KX2C head remains on my M4 and my XP-G2 module lives in my hand-held. That is my impression, for now.

Last edited: