Malkoff M61SHO

Glock 22

Enlightened
GeoBriun thanks for the beamshots they turned out perfect with all the others to compair to.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much shorter are the runtimes with the SHO, compared to the normal M61?

Jay T

Enlightened
A quick shot of a standard M61 an HO and SHO all in the same shot.
m61hosho.jpg

Darvis

Enlightened
Hmmmm...

First off, great beamshots!!!

For me personally, especially seeing GEO's great outdoor shots, I'd have to say I'd pass on this one. The lux difference is clear between the M91w and the M61SHO, but I'm not sure it's more useful given the nice even flood of the 91. My guess is that the difference might be less if those shots also had the cool tint vs. cool tint comparison.

It's still a 2 cell light (like the M91) so no real gains there, it really just comes down to beam profile.

That, and having a few of the MD60's in an M6 package, I'm not sure the cost is justified for me.

Like it, don't love it enough though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think we are seeing a 40-50% gain in lumens with the SHO, at 1A to the LED. Imagine what the SHO would show with 1.4A's to the LED in a Hound Dog, with the attendant throw.

Bill

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M91 is not regulated on 2 primaries. To get full, regulated output in a two cell host, you will need to run lithium ions, effectively halving your capacity. Right?

Hmmmm...

First off, great beamshots!!!

For me personally, especially seeing GEO's great outdoor shots, I'd have to say I'd pass on this one. The lux difference is clear between the M91w and the M61SHO, but I'm not sure it's more useful given the nice even flood of the 91. My guess is that the difference might be less if those shots also had the cool tint vs. cool tint comparison.

It's still a 2 cell light (like the M91) so no real gains there, it really just comes down to beam profile.

That, and having a few of the MD60's in an M6 package, I'm not sure the cost is justified for me.

Like it, don't love it enough though.

Darvis

Enlightened
The M91 is not regulated on 2 primaries. To get full, regulated output in a two cell host, you will need to run lithium ions, effectively halving your capacity. Right?

Good point GeoBruin, and definitely. I was, actually, thinking LIon when I made that statement... you would need 3 primaries to run in regulation with the M91. A better statement by me would have been that multiple cells are still needed for regulated runtime with either light... If the SHO could run at that level on 1 LIon like the M61, well then, that would be a game changer!!

Also, I agree with Bill, get that output in the hound dog with the smaller die and then you'll have something as well...

But until then, I really do still feel it comes down to beam preference given the current P60 format... adding that, true (and a point I clearly overlooked), the option to run on 2 primaries in regulation is a nice to have if you're not charging your own, but not enought justify the extra spend if you are.

And, by the way, my stance is not that it's not a great offering, I think it is... just not different enough to justify the spend given that I already have about 20 Malkoff drop-ins with three being M91's. For someone buying their first, or second, or even third.. I think it's a lot to consider.

Last edited:

af112566

Newly Enlightened
the m61sho is great!! noticably brighter and better tint than my m61.and the beam is very similar,just a brighter hot spot,but it still has the nice spill i love...all in all the xp-g2 has alot of potential..

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
And for the numbers...

These are 1 meter lux numbers taken with my lux meter at the brightest part of the hot spot about 10 seconds after turn on. Note: I do not have a lab setup, these numbers should be considered only as relative to each other.

M61 219: 1760
M61W: 2050
M91W: 2300
M61 SHO: 5870 :eek:oo:

First, thanks for posting the beamshots and lux readings. Excellent work!
Do you have a Malkoff M60 that could could do comparative lux-at-1-meter readings with the new M61SHO? I'm curious to see if the M61SHO's pure power is able to keep up with the M60 as far as throw goes. I would imagine that the M60 would still out throw the M61SHO, but it would be interesting to see real numbers.

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, thanks for posting the beamshots and lux readings. Excellent work!
Do you have a Malkoff M60 that could could do comparative lux-at-1-meter readings with the new M61SHO? I'm curious to see if the M61SHO's pure power is able to keep up with the M60 as far as throw goes. I would imagine that the M60 would still out throw the M61SHO, but it would be interesting to see real numbers.

Thanks,
Robert

+1, Thank you for the great info.

Would love to see how the M60 compares.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Pulled out my light meter, an LM631 and did lux numbers at 1 meter for the:

M61 219.....1500
M60 ...........5350

As Robert said, these numbers are only useful relative to each other. I would hazard a guess, and say that the M60 SHO would be in the neighborhood of 5600+ lux using my light meter. That would be one huge hotspot with decent throw.

Bill

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the M61 219 as a benchmark, I think we can safely draw some conclusions even if no one has an M60 and an M61SHO. It looks like the M61SHO is making about similar lux to the M60 with a lot more light spilling out everywhere. Sweet!

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pulled out my light meter, an LM631 and did lux numbers at 1 meter for the:

M61 219.....1500
M60 ...........5350

As Robert said, these numbers are only useful relative to each other. I would hazard a guess, and say that the M60 SHO would be in the neighborhood of 5600+ lux using my light meter. That would be one huge hotspot with decent throw.

Bill

Bill, thanks a lot for posting these numbers!

arvetus

Newly Enlightened
I had to bite the bullet and buy one of these for my 9p. Guess we'll see how it works... I need a bit more throw out of it.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I've followed this thread for awhile and ended up buying my own M61SHO. I have an original hand engraved M60, an M61 original version and now a M61SHO. From the naked eye I can honestly say that the M60 definitely out throws the both of my other two Malkoff's, granted it has MUCH less spill. Whats surprising though is that other than tint, I really can't see difference between my M61 and the M61SHO. The SHO MIGHT have a little more even spill is all. I can't say I'd buy it again due to this. Just a casual observation here folks. Has any one else noticed this at all?

Dan

arvetus

Newly Enlightened
On the wall, the M61 and the SHO look very similar. The color is a little different side-by-side. In the dark, outside, the SHO does seem to give off quite a bit more light, but that's the only place I really notice it. I don't know that it throws any better... I probably wouldn't buy another SHO for the same reasons you mentioned. But it does give off a bit more.

I'm going to try a Nailbender in my other 6p and maybe get one of his hi-voltage ones for the 9p to see how it does. I like the 3-modes, which is likely what I'd prefer the 9p for (hunting). I like the 6p to be single mode for tactical/self-defense purposes, but I might try a hi/lo/strobe drop in to see what I think.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh, ok. I guess I have to say that I only white wall hunted and shot some beams indoors in my basement, but I haven't really compared the two side by side outside. I'll have to try that.