More Fenix Digital Lights - L0D CE and L1D CE

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since both use the same Cree LED (7090 XR-E), I would like to see what the LOD CE can do with a 3.7 v lithium 10440. I would bet the LOD CE would be pushing over 100 lumens since the L1D CE will push 135 lumens with a lithium 3.7 v battery.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
liteglow said:
I still dont understand what the CREE edition give me ?
70 dollar for a CREE edition, and 44dollar for a Regular P1D..
I dont need to SOS function, I only want more lumen :) And small size..

The fenix store dont say how much lumen they have output...

You may want to get the L1D Ce Turbo series.
Fenix L1D CE
turbo series: 85 -> Strobe

cannesahs

Newly Enlightened
4sevens said:
Fenix L1D CE

Six brightness levels (current regulation), including strobe and SOS

They will come in two flavors:
general series: 18 -> 40 -> 74 -> SOS
turbo series: 85 -> Strobe
(I'm getting clarification on these modes right now - this is simply what they
provided me)

For me that means:

It will have turnable head, which select general- or turbo-mode like L1T's head selects low- or high-mode.

Then with tailcap you those between those levels (18 -> 40 -> 74 -> SOS, or 85 -> Strobe) with turning light momentary off. Just like you do with P1D (CE) with turning its head.

4Sevens' says quite clearly, that ONE lamp will have SIX output levels. So please stop speculating about TWO different lamps like L1P CE "general series" and L1P CE "turbe series".

My opinion about levels and they order, that fenix have selected:

Perfect!
General mode have first the lowest mode, So I can maintaing my darkseeing. And If I want to move quickly to very bright I just turn the head. I suppose turning head while lamp is already on moves lamp to selected mode-series' first choosable output level.

(SOS is nice feature, doesn't cost more to include and does NOT bother in normal use.)

With momentary clicky tailcap it's extremely fast to go trought 18 -> 40 -> etc. for me.

About "memory efect", that light would remembe its last output level: It is technically very expensive and (depending on chosen way to produce efect) battery consuming also in off-mode.

PS.
My first post :) And waiting for L2P CE.

edit: typos

d1337

Enlightened
cannesahs said:
For me that means:

It will have turnable head, which select general- or turbo-mode like L1T's head selects low- or high-mode.

Then with tailcap you those between those levels (18 -> 40 -> 74 -> SOS, or 85 -> Strobe) with turning light momentary off. Just like you do with P1D (CE) with turning its head.

4Sevens' says quite clearly, that ONE lamp will have SIX output levels. So please stop speculating about TWO different lamps like L1P CE "general series" and L1P CE "turbe series".

edit: typos

cannesahs,
Please keep in mind that this is only your interpretation of what 4sevens wrote. It is not clear to me what 4sevens meant by his comments but I don't think it's right for you to judge others interpretations. Maybe 4sevens hasn't commented yet because he isn't sure himself.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance of seeing these in HA natural sometime in the future? Please....

I prefer the colour over black and it looks a lot better after a few months of wear and tear...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
imho there will be no "twist head action", the driver board and switch on/off will make any changes
(I wonder where You think to read this head action out?)

thats why 2 differnt models have been mentionned.
The "turbo" will start in higher mode and will (probably) also offer a higer max, in trade with runtime.

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
yellow said:
imho there will be no "twist head action", the driver board and switch on/off will make any changes
(I wonder where You think to read this head action out?)

thats why 2 differnt models have been mentionned.
The "turbo" will start in higher mode and will (probably) also offer a higer max, in trade with runtime.

I also posted the theory about a six level flashlight in one. It would explain lots of the features expained in the post. Like why would one model have more output than the other in ultra mode? It wouldn't make sense.

As I already said, I hope the theory is true.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll just throw in my 2 cents. These lights were inevitably going to come out, everybody knew it and it was just a question of particulars. What we have seen so far looks promising. I will probably be caving and buying one or both of these lights. That said, there are a couple things I'd like to get off my chest.

First off, I've said it before, others have said it before, and I'll say it again: Low needs to be LOW!!

It's lovely that we've now got these whiz-bang emitters that can push 2 lumens for a year straight on a AAA, yet no one seems to be doing this. Rather, they just slap an existing current structure into a Cree based light, and vua la... "low" is now 10 lumens or higher. People- the technology has changed but our eyes have not! Remember that 10 lumens was HDS's "primary" medium mode and it worked just fine. For an EDC light, I need a real low (between 1 and 5 lumens max) so that I don't burn my eyeballs off when I'm on a darkened airplane and need to look in my bag for a piece of gum or read a book. Its great that we can have some decent runtimes on the eye-searing spot-the-owl-in-the-distant-tree settings, but give us a real low for pete's sake.

OK rant over. Now a word about prices. No prices for these lights have been released yet, so I'm willing to give Fenix the benefit of the doubt. However, we did see a $20 premium for the Cree emitter in the first Fenix Cree based offering (which sold like hotcakes), so I'm concerned Fenix will keep with the set precedent and continue seeing dollar signs. Now, I understand that this is a buisness, and whatever the market will bear, etc, but IMHO, a $20 premium is unreasonable considering Fenix's history of providing good quality at reasonable prices. The Cree LED is the current state of the art, and it is just a matter of (very little) time before a Cree Dorcy appears in Target for $20. These emitters are pretty much the same price as luxeons, so you can't keep charging for "newness." When Photons switched from the old 5mm LED to the twice as bright CS, they didn't raise the price. JetBeam has come up with a 1AA Cree for under $30!! Fenix will need to price these lights under $50 for me to feel that I'm getting a decent value.

These criticism's aside, I do respect Fenix's tireless innovation and their generally excellent products and I never hesitate to recommend their lights (and 4seven's superb web buisness of course) to any newly interested people I come across.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Any idea when these will be released?

How does this typically work, will there be a waiting list? I'm sure demand will be high, and snatch up all the supply at first. I, like others here, want to be one of the first. Forgive my Newbi-ness, but just curious. I need to add one or both of these to my signature..........

Which online stores will be the best to get these, fenix-store and who else?

Thanks for any advice, I'm anxiously awaiting.....

Edro

Newly Enlightened
Solstice said:
Low needs to be LOW!!

...I need a real low (between 1 and 5 lumens max)...

Bingo! I totally agree. I remember this request coming up right after the P1D CE came out and there was a thread where we were putting together a wish list for the inevitable arrival of the Cree AA. There were quite a few of us who wanted a < 5 lumens low.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
tslrc said:
Any idea when these will be released?

How does this typically work, will there be a waiting list? I'm sure demand will be high, and snatch up all the supply at first. I, like others here, want to be one of the first. Forgive my Newbi-ness, but just curious. I need to add one or both of these to my signature..........

Which online stores will be the best to get these, fenix-store and who else?

Thanks for any advice, I'm anxiously awaiting.....

I don't have any answers, but you can get an idea based on how the P1D CE was released. It was announced by 7777, then a few weeks later he blew through 200 of them on a pre-order basis. About a month after that he had the naturals in stock, which is how it stands now.

However, I read somewhere that he hopes to have a large enough initial supply to withstand the onslaught of the CPF'ers. Now we just have to wait for the release!

SpeedEvil

Newly Enlightened
Solstice said:
I'll just throw in my 2 cents.

For an EDC light, I need a real low (between 1 and 5 lumens max) so that I don't burn my eyeballs off when I'm on a darkened airplane and need to look in my bag for a piece of gum or read a book. Its great that we can have some decent runtimes on the eye-searing spot-the-owl-in-the-distant-tree settings, but give us a real low for pete's sake.

Unfortunately, with PWM lights, at the low levels, it becomes annoying for reading - at least at the frequency that the L0P-SE uses.

I just did some tests.

Though completely unscientific, they were interesting to me.

Took my L0P-SE, and saw at what distance I can easily read a random paperback.

Easily at 3m, on low, 10m on medium.

I note that it's _much_ apparently brighter on low when I can read it comfortably.

Neglecting the PWM issue - the fact that you get 50% or so extra battery life out of crees at low brightness at the same lumens with constant current, rather than PWM, with the L0P at a usable range - the beam spot means that at under a meter it's not comfortable to read.
If at medium it's at 12 lumens, and I can read at 10m, and I want to read at 1m, I need .12 lumens.
With a diffuser that blows the beam into a 30 degree cone, .05 lumens should be fine.
Assuming an 80 lumen binned part.

At .1 lumens, with a constant current, the cree wants around 1/800 * 0.66 = 1/1200 of a watt or so.
Call it 1mW after the losses in the converter.

This is approaching a thousand hours on an AAA cell.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
wish the brightness level on the P1DCE "picked up where it left off" instead of going onto the next of the 3 brightness levels whether or not you wait 1.5 seconds...

otherwise it seems to be a really nice bright, white, even light..first night with it coming up momentarily..

jHO

Newly Enlightened
:awman: I just got a L1T for Christmas and cannot afford to get another light.

*Wants an L1D CE so bad.* :mecry:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok - gotta say wow - this lil sucker (p1dce) gives my Inova T-4 a run for the money! VERY comparable beam brightnesses! the p1dce beam is smoother and MIGHT be just a wee bit dimmer, though definitely whiter than the T-4.
I could say the P1dce is at least 90 % as bright as the T4.. and at a fraction of the size..; 'course you get half the run time of the T4 at the highest setting. Interestingly; Inova calls the T4 a 100 lumen light (iirc)... Fenix calls the P1dce 135 lumen...

moses

Enlightened
OK, read through this and don't think i saw a definitive statement on how the switching is done.

I've been EDCing a couple of MillerMods's L1P with 3 stages and running about 1.7 watts at max. Luxeon bulb will will be upgraded to CREE when the Q2 arrives.

My point: The MillerMod L1P has on/off in the clickie, and power level on a manual twist of the head. That way I can set the level I want manually and control on off manually - totally separate. This is a great interface. If the Fenix requires multiple clicks to select a level each time, that's a real pain in my opinion.

Also, the low level seem a bit high on the Fenix. I want my low to run 24-36 hours for night adapted eyes. I don't know what lumens it is but the Millermod does that for me and the output is just about right.

Mo

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
TedTheLed said:
ok - gotta say wow - this lil sucker (p1dce) gives my Inova T-4 a run for the money! VERY comparable beam brightnesses! the p1dce beam is smoother and MIGHT be just a wee bit dimmer, though definitely whiter than the T-4.
I could say the P1dce is at least 90 % as bright as the T4.. and at a fraction of the size..; 'course you get half the run time of the T4 at the highest setting. Interestingly; Inova calls the T4 a 100 lumen light (iirc)... Fenix calls the P1dce 135 lumen...
Wait, this thing isn't significantly brighter than the T4????

According to FLR:

Inova T4
Throw: 1665
Overall Output: 2700

P1DCE (on Max)
Throw: 2700
Overall Output: 7850

How is it dimmer with readings like this? Is it defective? Or is FLR just misleading...

LowTEC

Enlightened
^^ Yeah, I thought that P1D-CE in medium owns the T4 front back left and right in term of brightness, let alone the high mode, no?

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
No kidding, with readings like that I would expect this thing to blow a T4 away....

Latest posts