Most Dependable Flashlight: Voice Your Opinion

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have dropped my SF-6P/11836 several times on the hard floors at work, and my ROV sportsman has taken several tumbles too. Both lights have hit hard enough to dent their bezels, and they still work like a charm. My Nuwai river rock has also endured similar abuse and has endured 6-7 feet of water submersion without problem.

My AA minimag has also been very durable, going on strong since 1998.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I have a lot of faith in a number of lights most of them I discovered in the last few years here on cpf.The light that has stood the test of time for me is a 3D Mag.Purchased new around 1990 it never failed me.Last year I "retired" it to my collection for sentimental reasons,I have other C and D cell Mags that I still use.

UWAK

Enlightened
Surefire 6P+A19 battery extender. I can choose several lamp configuration. It's simple and reliable.

firefly99

Enlightened
My SF E2D had been through a lot with me in the last few years. It has all the characters marking to show for it.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the flashlights I've used pretty frequently and occasionally dropped or immersed, the Wolf Eyes Boxer 24Watt High Intensity Discharge.

I've got many others that I haven't given a chance to really prove themselves, one way or another.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Most trusted? Surefire C2 HA.

To be completely honest, only LED flashlight failure I've ever had was a Jetbeam C-LE that crushed the battery negative side to the point of being unable to make contact. Knowing the Arc-P is the only other flashlight I have with the same system makes me feel a lot less safe than I would like.

Perhaps without real reason to it, I sometimes worry about Fenix clickies failing, and Surefire L1 switch being damaged, since it's so exposed. Twisties still seem like the safer choice, when combined with a spring bottom.

Electronic circuit failures are also a possibility, especially considering severe impact: there are many possible points for circuit damage. But let's face it, a flashlight is designed to be operated while holding it, not treating it like a hammer.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Pelican M6 (2330, non HA) LED. i dropped it countless times about 3". the switch is as good as it was back in 2002. it's served me well though it has aquired some superficial marks. i've replaced he bulb module a few months back to boost the useablility. :rolleyes:

shomie911

Enlightened
The Arc is still going on that dead battery. 19 hours and 30 minutes, on a battery that expired four years ago, that was completely dead out of a remote control.

The output of the Arc is really, really low, at the moment but it's on nonetheless.

Gatsby

Enlightened
If a light is not dependable for me then I tend to not keep it around. Since I've dropped LEDs in all the Maglites I have to agree that a 3D mag with an LED in it is a pretty reliable light.

But I believe that the lights I'd likely be most surprised if they did not work would be my Peak Pacific or Peak Kilimanjaros. They are just so well made and constructed, with so little that can go wrong with them, I'd be floored if they did not light up with a decent battery.

shomie911

Enlightened
If a light is not dependable for me then I tend to not keep it around. Since I've dropped LEDs in all the Maglites I have to agree that a 3D mag with an LED in it is a pretty reliable light.

But I believe that the lights I'd likely be most surprised if they did not work would be my Peak Pacific or Peak Kilimanjaros. They are just so well made and constructed, with so little that can go wrong with them, I'd be floored if they did not light up with a decent battery.

I've been considering getting a Peak Kino Bay P4 as my ultra-reliable, weatherproof, do anything AA light with a decent runtime.

I think your post confirmed my consideration, they seem to be quite nice little lights. Plus they're made in the USA.

EDIT:

Arc still going, it's about 30 hours now.

It's just glowing, enough light to read in a pitch black room with your eyes adjusted if you hold it close to the text.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be wrong... but I think twisty switches are less likely to fail than clicky ones.... I also think AA lithiums are less likely to be tempermental when dropped than 123a's. I guess that makes my twisty AE 3AA led dive light my "most trusted" light.... but My Fenix T1 has never let me down.... nore have any of my incan SF lights (unless I dropped them and the bulb broke)

I think a 2 or 4 AA plastic twisty light by uk/pt/sl etc. would be just as reliable as my $230 AE light for arround $30 or less, as long as they could run on AA lithiums.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't actually own one, but some of the abuse CPF members have subject their E01s to just boggles the mind:thumbsup:

GSteg

Newly Enlightened
Most dependable light for me is the OEM maglite. Yes the output isn't that great, but due to its simplicity and build quality, it'll outlast the bulbs and battery themselves. Once you start adding in more gizmos and gadgets, it's one more thing that could go wrong in the future.