Nano RCR123 charger, charging times??

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked my Nano and its putting out 4.17 volts, so I guess I should just leave the cells on longer......

I still dont like how the green light comes on early.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked out my Nano the past couple of days. The green light comes on between 4-4.5hrs. Cell voltage is 4.05V. I rested the cell (cuz it was late and I wanted to go to sleep) and placed it back on the charger the next day (after work) and checked cell voltage every hour or so. After another 3.5hrs, cell voltage was 4.11V (tho, I didn't let the cell rest must after taking it off the charger and checking the voltage). I'll check again tonight after work since the cell's rested. I normally put the cell in the charger at night just before I go to sleep and take if off the next morning and put it in my light. 8hrs of charge. 4.5hrs + 3.5hrs = 8hrs and cell voltage is still only about 4.11V, so it doesn't seem to be hurting the cell by overcharging it even at 8hrs on the charger.

vortechs

Enlightened
Navck said:
Its susposed to trickle to 4.2 volts eventually.

Here is a followup to this older thread.

I was charging a tiny 10280 Li-Ion cell (from AW) tonight using a Nano-123 charger (and some wires). I measured the cell voltage after the green light came on and it read 4.05V. I decided to try to measure the 'trickle charge' feature of the Nano that I remembered reading about. I connected my Fluke77III DDM (300mA test connection) in series with the Nano-123 and 10280 cell and measured the current. With the cell at 4.05V and the Nano-123 charger's green light on, the 'trickle' charging current measured 12mA.

vortechs

Enlightened
vortechs said:
Here is a followup to this older thread.

I was charging a tiny 10280 Li-Ion cell (from AW) tonight using a Nano-123 charger (and some wires). I measured the cell voltage after the green light came on and it read 4.05V. I decided to try to measure the 'trickle charge' feature of the Nano that I remembered reading about. I connected my Fluke77III DDM (300mA test connection) in series with the Nano-123 and 10280 cell and measured the current. With the cell at 4.05V and the Nano-123 charger's green light on, the 'trickle' charging current measured 12mA.

After an hour of 'trickle' charging, I measured it again. The 10280 cell voltage is now up to 4.11V and the charging current measured about 5mA. So trickle charging with the Nano-123 charger seems to work if you watch it carefully and don't overcharge the cell. Of course the tiny 10280 cell is only rated for 180mAh, so it didn't take long to trickle charge it up to a higher voltage, a larger cell would take a lot longer.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pair of Nanos (being male, my pair should be small ;) ) charge a dead (3.7v) cell in 3 - 4 hours, max, or usually less. The stabilized cell voltage is 4.06v if immediately removed when the LED turns green. Letting the cells trickle for a few hours will bring that up to 4.17 - 4.199v.

The RCR123s used in my Fenix P1 are immediately removed so they are close to 4.0v and the ones used for my HDS & E1L are left in until 4.1 - 4.2 volts is reached.

Does that seem like a good practice?