*NEW* Fenix PD40 1x26650 MT-G2 Light

wrxman

Newly Enlightened
OK, with a charged 26650 cell there is a very obvious increase from high to burst. About a half second delay from any level to the burst mode (a half second with no output) and immediate return to the previous level when button is released. VERY smooth floody output. The tint is just slightly cooler than my nichia 219B. I guess I won't be doing any outdoor tests tonight as a winter storm has arrived. Maybe I can see if it will burn through a blizzard on burst :)

I just discovered that the interface on this light is affecting me. After handling the PD40 I find myself "holding for a half second" when clicking the computer mouse. . . .
So, do you like the light so far?

westfork

Newly Enlightened
So, do you like the light so far?

Yes, very much so. I have always liked the single 26650 format and neutral to warm tints so this light had me coming in. It has a fantastic smooth floody beam and performs just as expected. Things that would have made it even better for me:
-Thick stainless steel bezel (I have broken way too may lights over the years from front end falls).
-Eliminate the half second delay for on & off and going into burst mode. I assume this is for switch protection dealing with the high current.
-Separate controls for on/off and modes is always preferred, but the PD40 is pretty intuitive.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pictures comparing the PD40 with the Maelstrom S12 & MMU to go with my comparison comments above. Both Maelstroms have the SST-90 led while the PD40 has the new MT-G2. The release of the Fenix PD40 is four years after the FourSevens Maelstrom S12.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, very much so. I have always liked the single 26650 format and neutral to warm tints so this light had me coming in. It has a fantastic smooth floody beam and performs just as expected. Things that would have made it even better for me:
-Thick stainless steel bezel (I have broken way too may lights over the years from front end falls).
-Eliminate the half second delay for on & off and going into burst mode. I assume this is for switch protection dealing with the high current.
-Separate controls for on/off and modes is always preferred, but the PD40 is pretty intuitive.

I believe this is a feature on the greater majority, if not all, of Fenix's recent lights that use a second button for mode switching. A while back I picked up a PD32 and mode switching was like this. I also own and carry a LD40 since it's release, and this too has the slight delay in mode advancement after pressing the mode switch button, despite being a 4xAA light. Maybe it is Fenix opting for a sort of soft-transition to the next mode? Just a guess though, as I honestly do not understand the reasoning behind it.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that assumption is incorrect. Electronic switches don't need to carry the full current (or even a substantial portion of it), which might be one reason why Fenix didn't go with a rear clicky. IF it had have a physical switch, the current might be a problem...but even then I don't see how a half-second delay would make it any better. Either it can handle the current, or not. I too usually prefer separate switches, but using two electronic switches like the Fenix TK75 or Sunwayman D40A would be the best solution in this case.

I'm still waiting for an explanation for the delay...sounds like it would be very annoying. Burst modes are nice, but having a delay defeats one of the main purposes to have it.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe this is a feature on the greater majority, if not all, of Fenix's recent lights that use a second button for mode switching. A while back I picked up a PD32 and mode switching was like this. I also own and carry a LD40 since it's release, and this too has the slight delay in mode advancement after pressing the mode switch button, despite being a 4xAA light. Maybe it is Fenix opting for a sort of soft-transition to the next mode? Just a guess though, as I honestly do not understand the reasoning behind it.

I have a PD35, a PD32UE, had a TK75 and a TK61. None of them ever had any kind of delay when switching modes, or turning on/off. I am baffled...

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PD35, a PD32UE, had a TK75 and a TK61. None of them ever had any kind of delay when switching modes, or turning on/off. I am baffled...
I am mistaken then. Still interesting and odd nevertheless.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
The delay in on and off isn't too bad, but when going into burst mode directly from another level the output ceases for that half second. It is running, your hold the button to activate burst, it goes dark for a half second, and then burst is on. When the button is released it goes immediately to the prior level without a delay. Now going from off there is no loss of output between the last used level and burst.

wrxman

Newly Enlightened
The delay in on and off isn't too bad, but when going into burst mode directly from another level the output ceases for that half second. It is running, your hold the button to activate burst, it goes dark for a half second, and then burst is on. When the button is released it goes immediately to the prior level without a delay. Now going from off there is no loss of output between the last used level and burst.
I'm thinking that the delay for on and off is to prevent accidental powering of the light in a pocket or bag. The PD 12 has the same switch but it is instant on and would come on in the pocket all the time. So I think the delay is good to initially turn on the light.

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if this light has a lockout?
Either activated by the switch like the Nitecore EA4 or by partially unscrewing the tail cap?
It looks easy to inadvertently switch it on if it hasn't.

wrxman

Newly Enlightened
The snow let up for a while so I did some outdoors testing of the PD40 against the foursevens S12/MMU. Both these lights are awesome! The tint on the SST-90 in the MMU is good but the PD40 is a beautiful creamy neutral white by comparison. The PD40 is pure flood and lights up the whole world with an even beam without a sharp hot spot contrast. The MMU is pretty floody but with a wide focused hot spot. Beyond 70 to 100 yards I would choose the MMU if I had to see detail. The PD40 is a great high power flood light while the S12/MMU combines good flood with moderate throw. The PD40 has more levels than the MMU and the momentary burst mode that can be easy accessed from any level is a big plus. The build quality on both is excellent!
After the first few minutes it looked like I was losing the burst mode on the PD40 again. This was no doubt because of the lower capacity four year old cell I was using that couldn't keep up with the demands of the 1600 lumen burst mode. It is hard to decide which light to grab when heading out the door as they are similar size, weight, and shape and both put out an incredible number of lumens. The output of the PD40 is more pleasing with its smooth warm flood but the hot spot of the S12/MMU allows more reach while still producing a good flood. As you can see I am rambling in indecisiveness here :)
I hope these casual observations are useful.
good thing you have them all!

wrxman

Newly Enlightened
I think that assumption is incorrect. Electronic switches don't need to carry the full current (or even a substantial portion of it), which might be one reason why Fenix didn't go with a rear clicky. IF it had have a physical switch, the current might be a problem...but even then I don't see how a half-second delay would make it any better. Either it can handle the current, or not. I too usually prefer separate switches, but using two electronic switches like the Fenix TK75 or Sunwayman D40A would be the best solution in this case.

I'm still waiting for an explanation for the delay...sounds like it would be very annoying. Burst modes are nice, but having a delay defeats one of the main purposes to have it.
Ok, it's not much of a delay. The only delay should be to turn it on and to enter burst mode; maybe half a second.

w8kbrder

Newly Enlightened
Ok, it's not much of a delay. The only delay should be to turn it on and to enter burst mode; maybe half a second.

So whats the general consensus on this light? I was about to pull the trigger and purchase it but now I'm holding back. I love the way the body is shaped...simple and not busy looking. Love the orangepeel reflector. I'm big on a wider flood rather than a narrow beam as the majority of reasons I want a light is usually up close and personal (protection, observing the most of my surroundings at night, etc).

westfork

Newly Enlightened
So whats the general consensus on this light? I was about to pull the trigger and purchase it but now I'm holding back. I love the way the body is shaped...simple and not busy looking. Love the orangepeel reflector. I'm big on a wider flood rather than a narrow beam as the majority of reasons I want a light is usually up close and personal (protection, observing the most of my surroundings at night, etc).

It has quickly become my favorite light to grab when taking the dogs out. The beam is so pleasant in both tint and smoothness and it has the capability to definitely illuminate a large area. The shape really makes it easy to hold on to (narrow in middle and wider at each end) and the UI is pretty straight forward. The 26650 platform is great because you have the simplicity and safety of a single cell in a high powered light. The build is very stout as you can see by the large chunk of aluminum around the head but the cooling fins look to be less likely to be damaged than on most lights. Small enough to stuff in your back pocket but with lots of output. I did notice during our double digit below zero night that the button can be hard to find with gloves unless you look at the light. But overall I think it is a winner, especially for the current price using CPF discounts.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has quickly become my favorite light to grab when taking the dogs out. The beam is so pleasant in both tint and smoothness and it has the capability to definitely illuminate a large area. The shape really makes it easy to hold on to (narrow in middle and wider at each end) and the UI is pretty straight forward. The 26650 platform is great because you have the simplicity and safety of a single cell in a high powered light. The build is very stout as you can see by the large chunk of aluminum around the head but the cooling fins look to be less likely to be damaged than on most lights. Small enough to stuff in your back pocket but with lots of output. I did notice during our double digit below zero night that the button can be hard to find with gloves unless you look at the light. But overall I think it is a winner, especially for the current price using CPF discounts.

What CPF discounts?