*NEW* Fenix PD40 1x26650 MT-G2 Light

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
ot but anyone know of any other single cell mt-g2's out there, or else multicell aa mtg2s?
I haven't seen any other single battery MT-G2's yet and I suspect for the reason I posted above. The forward voltage of the MT-G2 is much higher than that of an XM-L2, so it's just easier to run 2 x Li-ion.

As for mutli AA, the only ones I know of are custom Mags. But again it's a voltage thing, vs amp draw, vs capacity.

You'd probably need 7 or 8 AA's (NiMH) in series to get sufficient voltage. But in series that would still only be 2000mAh. So to make it useful with enough capacity you'd probably want 15-16 AA's in total.

If you would be happy with lower runtimes and lower output you could probably get by with 8 AA's in maybe a Mag 4D running 2AA in Series per D cell holder. But I bet you would only just match or maybe fall short of this PD40 in terms of performance and with only 40% of the runtime in something almost 4 times longer.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be like using sixteen 50cc go-kart engines in a 2500 Dodge Ram.

HIDSGT

Enlightened
30 second burst mode? LMAO... wat a marketing scam! Fenix just can't get anything right these days. this light has no rear tail switch and their new flagship light has a cluster of buttons on the side vs ONE big button like Olight uses so ppl can get confused which button does wat wen its dark out.

great idea Fenix bravo! Fenix is failing with their new lights and need new developers obviously cause they are missing the boat here.... smh

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
30 second burst mode? LMAO... wat a marketing scam! Fenix just can't get anything right these days. this light has no rear tail switch and their new flagship light has a cluster of buttons on the side vs ONE big button like Olight uses so ppl can get confused which button does wat wen its dark out.

great idea Fenix bravo! Fenix is failing with their new lights and need new developers obviously cause they are missing the boat here.... smh

Are you serious? The light is barely bigger than a TK11 and the *high* put out 1000 lumens. It's definitely pocketable and also does 1600 when you need it. I'm sorry, but we're just getting carried away here on CPF sometimes. Do you guys remember the Olight M22 warrior was released not long ago? People on here were losing their **** from it being able to do over 900 lumens in that small 1 18650 form factor. Are we really going to complain right now that a light this small can only do 1600 lumens for a short time? If you want 2000 lumens running for hours without dropping down in 2015 you just have to get a bigger light.

If you just don't like the non-tail-clicky format then just wait for other makers to put out their answer. Surely there will be tons of lights like this this year.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said martinaee thanks. I think this will be a really nice useable light . It is very very small, running on imr the turbo output will be reusable for much of the run I think too.
When I am walking my dog and wonder whats up ahead, it dosnt take me 30 seconds to look, typically a quick scan around takes 10 secs ? Makes this light great to me !

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally love the 1x26650 format and size. It's just that the UI of this particular light doesn't suit my needs. Since Fenix has already developed the driver I bet we will see them give us additional products like this in the future that address some of our desires/needs.

LessDark

Enlightened
Did anyone actually order this light? If so then I hope you will let us know what you think about it. I'm close to ordering it but just want to hear what other people think about it first.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally love the 1x26650 format and size. It's just that the UI of this particular light doesn't suit my needs. Since Fenix has already developed the driver I bet we will see them give us additional products like this in the future that address some of our desires/needs.

I too think it's awesome, but I just can't see myself getting into ANOTHER battery format now. I've got AAA's, AA's (both in NiMh and Alkaline), D's in NiMh and some alkaline, 18650's, cr123's, 16650's, and an assortment of odd battery formats for random things. Also a million chargers and power cords for devices and also my DSLR batteries and chargers.

TOO MUCH lol... The 26650's are beasts, but I'm going to wait a few years if ever.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too think it's awesome, but I just can't see myself getting into ANOTHER battery format now. I've got AAA's, AA's (both in NiMh and Alkaline), D's in NiMh and some alkaline, 18650's, cr123's, 16650's, and an assortment of odd battery formats for random things. Also a million chargers and power cords for devices and also my DSLR batteries and chargers.

TOO MUCH lol... The 26650's are beasts, but I'm going to wait a few years if ever.
lol I still struggle to see the issue tbh. If you have multiple flashlights at your disposal, you only need one 26650 and simply leave it in the torch. If you think you'll use it a lot or want a spare, get two and keep the other one in a box where you keep batteries.

Charging is easy, just get yourself a single Li-ion charger capable of charging say 14500 to 26650 sizes. It really isn't difficult.

Now if you where into RC cars or planes, that would be a different thing entirely. Lots and lots and lots of different sized batteries, specs, configs and connectors. But again it's really not complex or difficult.

Just as in the same way spanners and sockets come in different sizes and fitments too.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
YEah the next person who posts that needs to come up with a better reason than just not wanting more battery types to manage, being more difficult/expensive to obtain where you live, increased collection uniformity so that more of your lights are compatible with more of the total batteries you have etc. because chicken drumstick & I just aren't accepting those excuses, & tbh idk if we can move on until we fully understand why others are liking things that we don't like.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... almost no hotspot it looks like from those pictures. Should be a really nice walk around light if you don't need huge distances.

kj2

Flashaholic
Like the fit and finish of this light. Looks indeed like there is (almost) no hot spot. Did hope it had a rear clicky.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Wow... almost no hotspot it looks like from those pictures. Should be a really nice walk around light if you don't need huge distances.

My thoughts exactly. We take the dogs out on leashes every night and a flood beam is far more usable for this activity. I still plan on ordering one in the next month or so for this purpose (as long as the reviews remain favorable).

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. With the XM-L(2) you can't really do this in a light this size so things are going to get interesting. Do any of you have 26650's AND the 2 cell fenix ARE-C1 charger (the one without a display)? I can't find anywhere if you specifically can't fit 26650's in it. I know the new one can, but if the less expensive 2 bay charger can too that would be amazing. (edit) It doesn't look like it would be possible just looking at mine/the pics and specifications and dimensions. I kind of want another 18650 charger anyway so I might get one in the future and especially if I wanted 26650 lights like this.

I think this light will spawn similar lights from other companies--- I personally want a light like this with a rear clicky so you can INSTANTLY shine 1600 lumens at something quick from out of your pocket :)

I know Fenix doesn't take requests, but I'd like to see them do this light in the TK09 style. Make it tactical so it always come on in that crazy brightness, but you can easily cover it with your hand and bring it down if you don't need BEAST-MODE to blind everyone a city block away.

Last edited:

CodyCash

Newly Enlightened
Fenix is claiming that any of their 18650 chargers will work with the 26650, you can see it in the going gear shot show video on /youtube