*NEW* Fenix PD40 1x26650 MT-G2 Light

LessDark

Enlightened
The battery type and the LED used is my main reason for getting this light, I just love the two and have been looking for a light which uses both until now. Will be a great hiking light.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will it work on 2x cr123A?
With a large sleeve of sort to keep them centered/aligned.

Enlightened
Back to the light.I have ZERO interest in ANYTHING that has a Burst mode! Every manufacturer competes with how much output along w/ run time theire specific torch has. It is deception! The reality is it can not maintain high output for long and is an advertizing ploy! Now when Fenix made the TK75 and the TK35 they did that right.They can maintain high output for the duration of the battery charge Although they have 20 and 25 minute step downs respectively. Just step back up! Obviously this [burst modes] does not matter to everybody or they would not sell any lights.For those people I would think they would enjoy this light? I will say that at least they tell you it is a burst mode so it is not a complete surprise for those expecting it to maintain that output. It is just preference. I prefer high output when I am on the hiking trails.
The choice isn't between having a "turbo" mode and a "burst" mode. The choice between having a high + burst mode versus high and no burst or turbo at all. Go on boycotting them for their "deception". Rather ironic the way you use the word deception there.

Enlightened
Any reason why i couldnt use a 18650 cell with adapter in this light? Dont really want to have to get in to another cell type.
The current demands on burst might trip the protection on ICR cells? You might need to use IMR or hybrids?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any reason why i couldnt use a 18650 cell with adapter in this light? Dont really want to have to get in to another cell type.

You can typically use an 18650 in any application that uses a 26650. But as the other guy said, you will want to use a high current cell. Your typical protected cell is probably not up to the task. It also goes without saying that runtime will be significantly shorter than with a 26650.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened

I don't read the manual,but I am sure it can not use CR123A battery because 26650 is much bigger than CR123A battery,you can not put these two kind batteries into one flashlight

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't read the manual,but I am sure it can not use CR123A battery because 26650 is much bigger than CR123A battery,you can not put these two kind batteries into one flashlight

You can use CR123As in most 18650 lights, and 18650s in most 26650 lights so I don't see why not.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
You can use CR123As in most 18650 lights, and 18650s in most 26650 lights so I don't see why not.

Sorry,I am new to the forum,just google it ,yes, you are right,18650 lights can not use 26650 batteries,but 26650 lights can use 18650 batteries,they are only different in the diameter and the capacity.But I don't think it can use CR123A batteries,it is difficult to keep two CR123A batteries centered.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Delrin sleeve or something, if physica l fit is the only problem

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two CR123A batteries=6V. The PD40 is designed around a 3.7V battery. 6V may damage the electronics on the PD40.

Gotravelling

Newly Enlightened
Burst is momentary and is selected by press and hold of some kind. Although you also have to press and hold with the Olight SR Mini to get Turbo.
But with Fenix you need to press and hold to get Burst (on lights that have that mode).

For now, i think Fenix burst mode should not have to hold it with fingers, it can last for 30 seconds, what I heard about PD40

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The instruction manual for the PD40 states that burst mode is activated by holding down the button. When the button is released, the light returns to the previous mode.

Munters

Newly Enlightened
As the size of a 26650 is roughly twice a 18650, I think a 26650 4800mAh is disappointing as 18650 are available as 3400mAh.
I would expect a 6500mAh at least.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool light, but I think I'll pass mainly because I don't think I want yet another type of battery. 26650's have amazing potential, but somehow sticking with 18650's seems more manageable for me.
I don't understand this, if it's of no interest, why even post up in this thread? The battery type is clearly listed in the thread title.

On a side note, I also don't understand how "sticking with 18650's is more manageable", are you not able to manage AA and AAA batteries??? :thinking: I mean, it's not exactly complicated stuff.

And for the record, you can get plastic inserts that allow you to run an 18650 in a 26650 tube without rattle. Although on a light like this you'd need high performance 18650's to handle the current.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Physically an 18650 will fit and will work. But the MT-G2 is likely pulling quite a bit of current, even more so as this won't be a linear driver in there like it would be for an XM-L2 emitter.

The MT-G2 has a much higher forward voltage than an XM-L2, hence why most MT-G2 lights are multi Li-ion. The PD40 must be using a boost driver (the type you normally find in an AA/2AA light), although designed for the MT-G2 and Li-ion input voltage.

For an 18650 to deliver the amps and performance you'll probably need a high performance 18650, maybe such as an IMR or INR chemistry. ICR's will work, but performance will suffer.

Overall performance on an 18650 is likely to be less too. Certainly much less sustained high output performance and lower runtimes and cell dependant it might not even make it's full lumen quota.

I really can't see the issue with buying a 26650. They are pretty cheap and they are not a different type to an 18650, just a different size. In fact the only difference physically is they are 26mm wide rather than 18mm. There is more arguably as much difference between an AA and a AAA battery.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what is the shelf life on a 26650? How long will a fully charged cell maintain it's charge if unused? I'm looking for a new house light. Preferably one that can run on both primary and rechargeables but I need a rechargeable that can hold a charge for 3-6 months. My current house light is a Fenix TK40 running on Eneloops which fit that requirement nicely.
A 26650 is exactly the same as a 10440, 14550, 16340, 18350, 18500, 18650. It's just a Li-ion.

Some reading up on Li-ion would be well worth your time and effort. :thumbsup:

Li-ion has a low self discharge. So make for good backup lights, just get a DMM and check it now and again and recharge when needed.

There are no primary batteries (non-rechargeable) suitable for this light.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, most likely not.

2xCR123a = 6v
1xLi-ion = 4.2v

The driver may be ok with it, but it might not like the voltage hike.

Biggest issue is capacity and probably current draw. CR123a's are low capacity, so even if they could power the torch, it wouldn't be for long enough for anyone to care, unless you only used low modes, in which point why bother with this exact torch anyhow.

Physcially fitting them in the torch too would require a 2xCR123a to 18650 adapter inside an 18650 to 26650 adapter.

Basically if you aren't happy running the right batteries, buy something else. It's like wanting to buy a diesel car that you are only willing to run on petrol!!!!

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't true.

18650 lights only support 2xCR123a if the driver can handle more than 4.2v many many torches and drivers do not and are usually capped at 4.2v

18650's can often be used in 26650 torches because they are essentially the same thing. Same voltage, same sort of battery, even the same length. It's only the width that is different.

Although the larger size/volume of the 26650 means they handle current differently. Their C rating and C discharge ratings will be different.

But you also need to understand a little about this specific light. Most CREE LEDs such as XM-L2's or XP-G2's have a forward voltage of 3.x volts. This means you can direct drive them off one 4.2 Li-ion battery, as under load their nominal voltage is 3.6-3.7 volts. About ideal for these LEDs.

Conversely 2xCR123a (6v) and multi Li-ion torches will use a buck driver to lower the voltage supplied from the batteries down to what the LED needs (else it would fry the LED).

AA/2AA/AAA/1xCR123a all have a voltage below what normal CREE LEDs need, so these use a 'boost' driver to increase the voltage supplied to the led, ie the volts out of the driver are higher than those going in. To do this more current is used.

The MT-G2 is different, it has a forward voltage of 6.x volts, about double a normal XM-L2. This means you can't direct drive an MT-G2 from a single Li-ion, although you can direct drive them from 2 x Li-ion.

This PD40 must be using a boost driver to raise the voltage that the battery supplies. This means it is likely drawing more current to achieve this, hence why a 26650 is good for this as they have lots of capacity. But you'll note most/all other MT-G2 lights on the market at present are all multi Li-ion setups, this is down to needing the voltage and multi Li-ion with a buck driver is an easy way to do it.

CR123a's might have higher voltage when you run two in series. But it might be above the specs of the driver and fry it. But even so, the capacity of a CR123a is something like 1200mAh at low current and 600-700mAh at higher current.

I honestly don't think they are going to be suitable. It would be like using a 900cc motorbike engine in a 2500 Dodge Ram.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
A rear clicks for momentary, like the tk35ue's biggest advantage over this to me would have been great, but smaller, lighter, tail stands, & single cell all appeal to me too.

ot but anyone know of any other single cell mt-g2's out there, or else multicell aa mtg2s?

Latest posts