*NEW* Fenix PD40 1x26650 MT-G2 Light

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? Actually I guess maybe it would fit in. But only one at a time of course and it wouldn't have the contacts centered on the battery terminals. Maybe I'll contact Fenix-Store or Fenix to find out for sure.

wrxman

Newly Enlightened
Dang! I really thought this was going to be an almost perfect light and thanks to this new info I realize that it does not have a rear clickie switch. I thought the side switch was just for changing modes. This is a major disappointment for me as I was ready to buy one of these when I first heard about it several weeks ago.
I believe I heard in one of the Fenix shot show videos that it would charge in a normal charger.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
So what is the shelf life on a 26650? How long will a fully charged cell maintain it's charge if unused? I'm looking for a new house light. Preferably one that can run on both primary and rechargeables but I need a rechargeable that can hold a charge for 3-6 months. My current house light is a Fenix TK40 running on Eneloops which fit that requirement nicely.

Well, I just checked a 26650 (4Sevens green 3900mAh) that has been sitting in a maelstrom S12 since 2011 and it has been at least two years since the cell has been charged since the light was barely used in that period. When I popped it in the charger it wouldn't kick in. Checked the voltage and it was still at 3.8 and powers the maelstom to full output. So as long as there is little parasitic drain by the flashlight you may be good.

**OK, I realized the charger was set at 3.7 volts instead of 4.2. At 4.2 it is topping off the charge. But still, over two years sitting in a flashlight with some use . . .

Last edited:

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
Really? Actually I guess maybe it would fit in. But only one at a time of course and it wouldn't have the contacts centered on the battery terminals. Maybe I'll contact Fenix-Store or Fenix to find out for sure.

There is a picture on their website shows that their chargers can charge 2660 battery

HIDSGT

Enlightened
yes very serious. marketing scam. I can buy a dozen other lights that have a 1000 lumens. hav no interest in some cheesy burst mode for a few seconds. totally worthless and misleading saying 1600 lumens! wat a joke!

Are you serious? The light is barely bigger than a TK11 and the *high* put out 1000 lumens. It's definitely pocketable and also does 1600 when you need it. I'm sorry, but we're just getting carried away here on CPF sometimes. Do you guys remember the Olight M22 warrior was released not long ago? People on here were losing their **** from it being able to do over 900 lumens in that small 1 18650 form factor. Are we really going to complain right now that a light this small can only do 1600 lumens for a short time? If you want 2000 lumens running for hours without dropping down in 2015 you just have to get a bigger light.

If you just don't like the non-tail-clicky format then just wait for other makers to put out their answer. Surely there will be tons of lights like this this year.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes very serious. marketing scam. I can buy a dozen other lights that have a 1000 lumens. hav no interest in some cheesy burst mode for a few seconds. totally worthless and misleading saying 1600 lumens! wat a joke!

It actually does do 1600 lumens so I don't see how you could possibly think that it's misleading.

Enlightened
Scam? Misleading? The spec sheet clearly calls it a burst mode and abstains from listing a runtime. Are you saying it doesn't actually hit 1600 lumens in burst mode or that burst mode doesn't exist? Well guess what, those "non scam" 1000 lumen lights will never have a 1600 lumen mode. At least you wouldn't feel scammed from buying one hah.
I want a 1x18650 1" diameter MT-G2 light.
I would like to see that too along with the requisite 1000 lumen standard mode and 1600 lumen scam mode. I wonder if such a driver could be fitted into the SC62 body.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see that too along with the requisite 1000 lumen standard mode and 1600 lumen scam mode. I wonder if such a driver could be fitted into the SC62 body.

That would be awesome, really high size-to-output ratio.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any of the Fenix lights with burst modes right now--- Does the mode eventually step down if you just hold it down for long enough? Surely it has to for heat build up prevention.

I can't say whether I would prefer a really short timed step down or Fenix's burst mode they've been doing in a lot of their lights, but it's not a "scam". They say how it works and it works that way... how is that a scam.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a picture on their website shows that their chargers can charge 2660 battery

It shows the newer charger with the display charging a 26650, but not the older charger unless I'm just not seeing it.

guitarhero

Newly Enlightened
Is there any other review than the one from the german taschenlampenforum?
Does anybody already have this?

westfork

Newly Enlightened
Mine just arrived and so far it looks good. The beam is a nice creamy neutral white and it is exceptionally floody with the hot spot barely noticed in most use. Burst mode appeared to be only the same intensity as high but then I noticed by battery taken from another light was mostly discharged. Will try again when it comes off the charger. The interface takes some getting used to. When you expect instant reaction from pressing a button, the half second delay seems odd. Does this delay feature help with handling the high current I wonder. I would also like to see if this type of switch contributes less to parasitic drain. We will see how it performs when the sun goes down.

wrxman

Newly Enlightened
Mine just arrived and so far it looks good. The beam is a nice creamy neutral white and it is exceptionally floody with the hot spot barely noticed in most use. Burst mode appeared to be only the same intensity as high but then I noticed by battery taken from another light was mostly discharged. Will try again when it comes off the charger. The interface takes some getting used to. When you expect instant reaction from pressing a button, the half second delay seems odd. Does this delay feature help with handling the high current I wonder. I would also like to see if this type of switch contributes less to parasitic drain. We will see how it performs when the sun goes down.
cool let is know!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
That is NOT the case! I have Two Fenix ARE-C2 Four Bay Chargers and they charge 26650's. I have done it many times a few lights of mine that require 26650. They made the Two Outside bays bigger so you can charge Two w/ Two 18650 in the middle slots or a smaller 14500 or 16340 :)

I've got the ARE-C2 charger and it does't fit C's or 26650 though it says clearly on it that it does. I've heard both sides before and can only conclude they've got (1) battery charger sticker but (2) slightly different sized chargers.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
cool let is know!

OK, with a charged 26650 cell there is a very obvious increase from high to burst. About a half second delay from any level to the burst mode (a half second with no output) and immediate return to the previous level when button is released. VERY smooth floody output. The tint is just slightly cooler than my nichia 219B. I guess I won't be doing any outdoor tests tonight as a winter storm has arrived. Maybe I can see if it will burn through a blizzard on burst :)

I just discovered that the interface on this light is affecting me. After handling the PD40 I find myself "holding for a half second" when clicking the computer mouse. . . .

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm going to pass on this light (at least right now) for the simple reason that I'm assuming Fenix is planning other 26650 lights if they are willing to brand a 26650 of their own.

I doubt they would do that just for the PD40 by itself. Especially with the MT-G2 and some of the other high power emitters I envision them coming out with other 26650 lights in the hopefully near future which is exciting. Maybe a more "tactical" type light but with out put like this PD40? How about an TK09 light but thicker and with a 26650 and MT-G2? :) What do you guys think or hope for from Fenix in this regard?

Joeymt3

Enlightened
I've got the ARE-C2 charger and it does't fit C's or 26650 though it says clearly on it that it does. I've heard both sides before and can only conclude they've got (1) battery charger sticker but (2) slightly different sized chargers.

I've got the C2 charger and it will work with the larger batteries BUT you can only charge one at a time with mine. That's all that will fit and you must use one of the two middle slots. Try that and see if it works.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
The snow let up for a while so I did some outdoors testing of the PD40 against the foursevens S12/MMU. Both these lights are awesome! The tint on the SST-90 in the MMU is good but the PD40 is a beautiful creamy neutral white by comparison. The PD40 is pure flood and lights up the whole world with an even beam without a sharp hot spot contrast. The MMU is pretty floody but with a wide focused hot spot. Beyond 70 to 100 yards I would choose the MMU if I had to see detail. The PD40 is a great high power flood light while the S12/MMU combines good flood with moderate throw. The PD40 has more levels than the MMU and the momentary burst mode that can be easy accessed from any level is a big plus. The build quality on both is excellent!
After the first few minutes it looked like I was losing the burst mode on the PD40 again. This was no doubt because of the lower capacity four year old cell I was using that couldn't keep up with the demands of the 1600 lumen burst mode. It is hard to decide which light to grab when heading out the door as they are similar size, weight, and shape and both put out an incredible number of lumens. The output of the PD40 is more pleasing with its smooth warm flood but the hot spot of the S12/MMU allows more reach while still producing a good flood. As you can see I am rambling in indecisiveness here :)
I hope these casual observations are useful.