*NEW* Fenix PD40 1x26650 MT-G2 Light

LessDark

Enlightened
So you can't use the Keeppower 5200mah protected battery in this light to get the burst mode?...I really like the idea of a MTG2 led on a single 26650, huge led on a huge battery.

Capolini

Banned
Back to the light.I have ZERO interest in ANYTHING that has a Burst mode! Every manufacturer competes with how much output along w/ run time theire specific torch has. It is deception! The reality is it can not maintain high output for long and is an advertizing ploy!

Now when Fenix made the TK75 and the TK35 they did that right.They can maintain high output for the duration of the battery charge Although they have 20 and 25 minute step downs respectively. Just step back up!

Obviously this [burst modes] does not matter to everybody or they would not sell any lights.For those people I would think they would enjoy this light? I will say that at least they tell you it is a burst mode so it is not a complete surprise for those expecting it to maintain that output.

It is just preference. I prefer high output when I am on the hiking trails.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they're deceiving anyone, as it is the buyer's responsibility to research the product before purchase. Also it's not really deception in the sense of output, as, despite the low runtime for burst mode, it is putting out the claimed output.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I'd be game for this light.

For me, it's fills the house light/walk-the-dog niche extremely well with good low and mid setting outputs/runtimes. Even at 1000 lumens, nearly 2 hours of run time. Tail-stand it on the kitchen table during power outage on low and that wide, 80-lumen beam would be quite useful bounced off the ceiling for area lighting, all in a light that could be easily carried in a jacket pocket.

Like Ryp, this one is on my radar screen.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a minute so Burst and Turbo are different? I always assumed they were synonyms. Ok so Turbo is always preferred over Burst...is there some kind of time frame definition like if it lasts less than 5 minutes it's Burst, and over 5 minutes is a Turbo mode?

kj2

Flashaholic
Wait a minute so Burst and Turbo are different? I always assumed they were synonyms. Ok so Turbo is always preferred over Burst...is there some kind of time frame definition like if it lasts less than 5 minutes it's Burst, and over 5 minutes is a Turbo mode?

Burst is momentary and is selected by press and hold of some kind. Although you also have to press and hold with the Olight SR Mini to get Turbo.
But with Fenix you need to press and hold to get Burst (on lights that have that mode).

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the Fenix 2 18650 charger. Can the 4 bay ARE-C2 charger do multiple 26650's? I'd guess 2 at one time from the pics? No way you could get 4 of those in there.

Cool light, but I think I'll pass mainly because I don't think I want yet another type of battery. 26650's have amazing potential, but somehow sticking with 18650's seems more manageable for me. Also I don't think I like Fenix's recent "burst" mode on more powerful lights. I would much rather have them impliment a step down or even better active thermal management so it steps down. If it started at 1600 then slowly ramped down after a good minute that would be good.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened
Dang! I really thought this was going to be an almost perfect light and thanks to this new info I realize that it does not have a rear clickie switch. I thought the side switch was just for changing modes. This is a major disappointment for me as I was ready to buy one of these when I first heard about it several weeks ago.

From the picturrs on the website ,there is no tail switch,only a side switch,shoule be able to tail stand.

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
oh man I had so much hope for this light... No tailcap clickie is a big no no for me. I don't mind the side switch but give me a rear clickie!

The output lockout is a letdown too. You can only use low setting at 50% battery power?

Face

Enlightened
Any reason why i couldnt use a 18650 cell with adapter in this light? Dont really want to have to get in to another cell type.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the picturrs on the website ,there is no tail switch,only a side switch,shoule be able to tail stand.

Correct, that is the reason that this is such a disappointment for me. If there would have been forward clicky switch on the rear and the side switch for mode changes this would have been a great light for me. With the side switch only and especially the .5 second wait for on/off it is a deal-breaker for me.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why buy this over the PD35? MT-G2 in this light makes no sense, it makes just 10klux/1m at 1600lm and only in short bursts. PD35 is also quite floody, basically as bright and much smaller. I think XHP-50 emitter (for mor ethrow) with regular timed stepdown would be better (not to mention XP-L with long stepdown, decent throw and runtimes).

Last edited:

L84CABO

Newly Enlightened
So what is the shelf life on a 26650? How long will a fully charged cell maintain it's charge if unused? I'm looking for a new house light. Preferably one that can run on both primary and rechargeables but I need a rechargeable that can hold a charge for 3-6 months. My current house light is a Fenix TK40 running on Eneloops which fit that requirement nicely.

kj2

Flashaholic
So what is the shelf life on a 26650? How long will a fully charged cell maintain it's charge if unused? I'm looking for a new house light. Preferably one that can run on both primary and rechargeables but I need a rechargeable that can hold a charge for 3-6 months. My current house light is a Fenix TK40 running on Eneloops which fit that requirement nicely.

Don't imagine a 26650 works differently than a 18650 since both are Li-ion. So need a charge every 2-3 months.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may have to keep close attention on this light. I currently run all AA lights except my eagletac sx25l2t which takes eagletac's 2 26650 battery pack and is rechargeable. With this light I can standardize on two battery types. I don't find the burst mode that big of an issue because really 1k lumens is plenty for most daily tasks and I have bigger lights which will handle the added heat and sustain longer runtimes. I find this to be a great all around edc light. I typically edc an EA4 and right now I treat the turbo mode as a boost mode so I don't over discharge my eneloops or over heat the light.