*NEW* Fenix TK35UE with MT-G2

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I don´t have any light with a MT-G2 diod. I have not read so many reviews about lights with MT-G2 diods either.The TK35UE MT-G2 looks really interesting and after i´ve seen beamshots of it i might buy it.

GnR

Newly Enlightened

kj2

Flashaholic
I've more info :)
Modes:
Turbo 1800 lumens, High 750 lumens, Mid 250 lumens, low 25lumens
Max throw distance 242m, Max 14640cd

mcorp

Enlightened
The mode spacing seems alot like the tk61!
Basing on throw distance this is probably going to have a nice sweet flood with some throw :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awww yiss.....

Yeah Fenix is doing well with properly spacing modes. 1800 isn't the *magical* 2000 lumens out of a light that size I was hoping for (but we all know there isn't really a difference between 1800 and 2k lumens :) )

I can't wait to find out how long that turbo runs before stepping down. Actually, what I'm probably MOST interested here to know is if that high mode of 750 also has a step down. That would be VERY nice if you could run it at 750 lumens without a step down to 250. From what I hear the MT-G2 doesn't have as high an efficacy as the XM-L2 so I'm assuming there will still be quite a bit of heat build up after a while at 750 lumens. Is there enough mass on a TK35?

I bet there is a good chance they do what they did to the LD41 xm-l2; with this new version of the TK35 they might add a larger heat sink and more fins towards the rear of the head.

ven

Flashaholic
I've more info :)
Modes:
Turbo 1800 lumens, High 750 lumens, Mid 250 lumens, low 25lumens
Max throw distance 242m, Max 14640cd

Fantastic,good enough for me,as i wanted 2000lm and 1800lm......well lets be honest its hardly a deal breaker...........imo nice spacing too.
Sure a few would like a sub 25lm though.

So similar output to the tk51 with 1 led,wonder if a similar size too.

So far its a yes buy for me,as long as the cost is within reason(tbh i find fenix overall quite a good value light taking into build/innovation and reliability) so cant see this being too expensive.

Thanks kj2 for posting info:)

pageyjim

Enlightened
I'm never one to want less of a choice but don't you all think that Eagletac's SX25L3 and MX25L3 models offer more than what the TK35UE is offering? The SX25L3 seems to offer more in a smaller package.

kj2

Flashaholic
I'm never one to want less of a choice but don't you all think that Eagletac's SX25L3 and MX25L3 models offer more than what the TK35UE is offering? The SX25L3 seems to offer more in a smaller package.
Things I don't like about the Eagletac's is the pins they use for switching-modes and the MX/SX25L3 both use 3 batteries. Not handy with my rotation of batteries. Like to keep it simple (so using 1/2/4 batteries).

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
Things I don't like about the Eagletac's is the pins they use for switching-modes and the MX/SX25L3 both use 3 batteries. Not handy with my rotation of batteries. Like to keep it simple (so using 1/2/4 batteries).

I actually like the 2 battery format also. I was just curious to peoples thoughts on the comparison on these lights, thanks.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not very Ultimate. An ultimate would have five modes.
Aren't TK lights supposed to be sufficiently heavy that they don't utilize step down.
Why not the MK-R led instead of MT-G2?

kj2

Flashaholic
Aren't TK lights supposed to be sufficiently heavy that they don't utilize step down.
There isn't any info out what says this version of the TK35 has a step-down. assumptions assumptions assumptions...
It could have a step-down, but that isn't known at this moment.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't really have the battery capacity to sustain 1,800 lumens (unless it is an 18650 only light)
It doesn't have the heat dissipation ability to sustain 1,800 OTF lumens. (nor is it that heavy-for storing the heat in hopes of dissipating later. The feel in hand is that of a substantial light, it little slippery, but that was the initial TK35)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't really have the battery capacity to sustain 1,800 lumens (unless it is an 18650 only light)
It doesn't have the heat dissipation ability to sustain 1,800 OTF lumens. (nor is it that heavy-for storing the heat in hopes of dissipating later. The feel in hand is that of a substantial light, it little slippery, but that was the initial TK35)

Yeah, that's why I'm suspecting Fenix changes the design a bit like with the newest LD41. Also, I think the TK35 is a pretty heavy light at 273 grams. If they make the fins bigger at the head it could probably help a lot with running that 1800 lumens for a few minutes. Also it would make the 700+ lumen mode runnable without step down possibly.

MBentz

Enlightened

Yes, which is why I won't be getting this light. I don't see my SX25L3 being replaced any time soon.

For whatever reason Fenix has a fairly large following here. I'm sure this ultimate super duper edition will sell well. :D

stona

Newly Enlightened

I generally like what eagletac offers, and really looked into some of their lights, but I simply cannot stand their head twisty UI. Either a control ring or buttons for me. Can't say I'll jump on the TK35UE though as I suspect it'll have a step down and I don't like having all the buttons on the tail cap.

MBentz

Enlightened
I generally like what eagletac offers, and really looked into some of their lights, but I simply cannot stand their head twisty UI. Either a control ring or buttons for me. Can't say I'll jump on the TK35UE though as I suspect it'll have a step down and I don't like having all the buttons on the tail cap.

Can you explain why a control ring is preferred to a head twist? For the record, I have lights that use both methods of control. I'm just having a hard time understanding the hate towards a twisty head and the love for a control ring by the same people.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you explain why a control ring is preferred to a head twist? For the record, I have lights that use both methods of control. I'm just having a hard time understanding the hate towards a twisty head and the love for a control ring by the same people.

hmmm, I have lights with twisty head (Eagletac), control rings (Sunwayman/Niteye), and double button on the base (Fenix).

I dislike the twisty head especially with more than one level via twisting since the on/off button moves when the head is twisted, and that forces me to change my hand position. If the on/off button remains maybe in the base and the head twist simply is a high/low, then sort of OK. Furthermore, I am barely able to twisting the head with my thumb + forefinger.

With a control ring, I can easily move the ring with my thumb + forefinger, or maybe even just one of them. The major negative to the control ring is possible dirt contamination under the rotating ring.

The double button on the base - one for on/off, one for level - is a problem of finding the correct button by feel in the dark and maybe with gloves on. Yes, once used to the smaller/lower button being the level button, not that bad. However with all of the controls in the base, I have to hold the light in an overhand position, which is rather awkward at times.

Arguably a button method is the best for resisting dirt contamination.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with the criticism of the Eagletac design using pins rotating across a surface to control the level, usually at least 3 of them. I already had a GX25A3 fail because one pin refused to make contact any more. The internal spring probably failed. I returned it & took credit. I still have the SX and MX in the MT-G2 and so far nothing has failed.

coming back on topic: I really like the beam pattern from the MT-G2 LED. The SX beam is amazingly even across the spill pattern - very useful! And since I had the Fenix TK35 before my nephew absconded with it, I liked the slightly smaller format of the TK35 with only 2 cells although the head was probably not much different in size than the SX. For an XM-L, the TK35 had a wonderful beam pattern with a nice balance between spill & spot. I hope that Fenix does not forget the reasons for the TK35 popularity and enhances it with the MT-G2.