*NEW* Klarus ST11 and ST2C

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: *NEW* Klarus ST11

Some one needs to explain to Klarus that moonlight means less than 1 lumen.

And maybe tell Supbeam that "infinite brightness" does not mean what they think it means....

and so forth.

:D

Nightster

Newly Enlightened

900 lumens for 2.3 hours is impressive. The webite states they acheived the estimated runtimes using a 2200mAh 18650.
Thats pretty darn strong!

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have serious doubts that you can get 2.3 hours at 900 lumens. Do the arithmetic. If you use a 3100mah 18650 that is 1.35 Amps, which is about 5 watts, so you need 180 lumens per watt assuming the driver is 100% efficient, which it obviously isn't. At that power level and with current technology, there is no commercial LED that achieve that. So either it isn't 900 lumens for 2.3 hours, or isn't 2.3 hours at 900 lumens. The Cree data sheets suggest the real luminous efficiency at 6 watts is going to be around 120 lumens per watt. So my guess is that it may start at 900lumens, but will have to drop down considerably (to about 550 lumens) to get to the 2.3 hour claimed run time.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

28guno7.gif

not exactly what i was expecting...

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic

Like the fact you can turn it on with both switches. Don't like that tail-switch must be "on" for strobe.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like the fact you can turn it on with both switches. Don't like that tail-switch must be "on" for strobe.

well you can't turn it on using side switch if the tail (which is the main switch) is off

GA30067

Newly Enlightened

I'm new on here....purchased the ST11 this week from goinggerar.com locally for $68 bucks. This light is bright! I mean really bright on high. The 225 lumens is also really bright. All in all a great light for the money!! A little large for carrying around all the time...but, okay for cargo pants and tactical pants.

smallcrap

Newly Enlightened

I like the fact the ST11 can tail stand (unlike the XT11), but wish it had a crenulated bezel like that of the XT11.

This is big on the utility side for me. Since these things can easily light up a room, it'd be nice to be able to stand it during a power outage.

And it's 21 bucks less than the XT11!

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

5x0lkj.jpg

next to the Nitecore MH25

pretty good flashlight! suitable for a very wide range of applications so naturally it doesn't excel in some areas. forward clicky tailswitch is the MASTER on/off. side button changes modes or puts it in standby. if tailswitch is off then side button doesn't do anything so goodnews no accidental activation here :)

only 4 brightness levels but they appear very well and evenly spaced-out to the human eye. it may not seem like it judging from the raw numbers on the specs sheet but the seemingly big jumps in the ST11 brightness levels are IMHO very well chosen for the vast majority of typical usage scenarios. very reminiscent of a Quark's spacing, but instead of 5 levels you only get 4. yes just like Quarks the ST11 has proper low modes.

it isn't obvious from the pictures but it doesn't have a typical tailcap, instead the head is unscrewed to change the battery.

takes long 70mm cells. flat tops no problem.

ceiling bounce on a light meter shows ~26% stepdown after 5 minutes.

but despite the driver being moved to the head it still uses PWM in typical Klarus fashion. it's a sufficiently high frequency so it isn't distracting.

kj2

Flashaholic

So, any other updates or reviews to this light?

Not really, and I find this a problem with Klarus lights. They do make nice lights, but it takes for ever to see a review on it. Klarus really should consider to
send some reviews their new light when it comes out.

Latest posts