new ZebraLight H30 UI etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
Re: Camera style switch for the new ZebraLight H30 UI

+1 Definitely, three modes are more useful IMHO. Imagine you would just have very low and then very high (with a short runtime)... I would like to choose something between, with a reasonable runtime and enought brightness for most tasks.

AND

2. Lanyard hole in the clip sticking up past the edge of the cylinder looks annoying to me, like it can poke into things. I'd much rather have an integral lanyard hole (think of the corner cutaway in the 2AA minimag) even if it makes the light a couple mm longer.

3. I much prefer the AA or AAA format to 123.

I have mixed feelings about the 75 degree lens. The totally diffused beam of the H50 was almost unique among flashlights and it is just fantastic for close-up use. It's not so good for hiking but 75 degrees isn't so good for hiking either. I'd rather have something fantastic for close-up and lousy for distance, than something mediocre at both. The main use of a headlamp is to have both hands free, which usually means close-up (fixing something, setting up a tent, etc). If I want to light something in the distance I can use a handheld light.

I second that.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks really cool! I like the idea of a the 75 degree flood and think it would make better use of the light output - sort of a more "directional" flood rather than light being scattered all over. I like the UI. I'm in.

It also looks like it could be a very useful task/pocket light. Like a super mini angle light. OK - when can I get one!

Last edited:

nzbazza

Enlightened
The H30 is looking really nice!!!

My $0.02 on varoius things:

Like the design changes to the head.

Please keep the the 3 levels.

The lanyard attachment needs to be integral/recessed into the body.

Like the even 75 deg beam with no hotspot in the centre.

Another UI idea: Hard click for On/Off, soft click/press to cycle through levels Low -> Med -> Hi (ala Fenix P2D) otherwise ZL's option 1.

I don't think momentary modes are necessary.

Lockout via unscrewing tailcap is great idea.

Once the H30 design is finished would like to see updated H50 with same features.

Keep up the good work George!

GaryF

Enlightened
(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF. click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF.

That is the interface I would suggest. The 75 degree beam sounds great. And I would hate to see it lose the medium level - please keep 3 levels.

I will echo what a few others have said, It would be nice to see these new features (narrower beam and switch) in the H50 eventually. That would motivate me to purchase another one. :paypal:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely would want the newer lights to have 3 levels on them and I would keep the user interface as simple as possible... twistie.

Daekar

Enlightened
Allow me agree with others who have posted already posted:

1. I greatly prefer your simplified UI as quoted below, and agree with the order of preference - definitely the soft-push button click. As a bonus, this will probably make it easier to use with gloves on (especially if the button is physically manifested in the shape/placement/size as shown in the CAD rendering)... might not sound like that big a deal, but a task light is more likely to be used in situations where the hands require protection than others so it should be a good advertising point!
ZebraLight said:
updated UI designs, in the order of preferance:

(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF. click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF

(2) double action (camera shutter release type) button:
light click ---------- low
hard click ----------- high
double light click ---- medium
light click when ON --- OFF

(3) the original complicated double action ...

If for some reason your engineers feel that the (1) option in the above quote is unsuitable, please have them consider the UI as posted in the below quote - it would be preferable to the double action listed as your (2) choice:
nzbazza said:
Another UI idea: Hard click for On/Off, soft click/press to cycle through levels Low -> Med -> Hi (ala Fenix P2D) otherwise ZL's option 1.

2. Please keep three levels. The percentage differences between levels on the H50 were very well chosen, making each level uniquely useful. The medium level has gotten the most use on mine on walks and working on my car (which the flood beam is PERFECT for btw, I'll never do night work on a vehicle without my ZebraLight from now on).

3. I agree that the lanyard attachment needs to be altered in some fashion. As it currently stands, it looks as if it will easily break off, bend, dig into something, poke while in a pocket, etc. Of course, we only have one view of the model but the lanyard attachment does seem to be a different piece of metal than the body housing. Is this a removable "lanyard clip"...? I don't know what kind of springy metal might fit the bill, but if you want to keep the lanyard attachment point in a similar shape as shown, I believe most people's objections might be solved by allowing it to securely swivel 180 degrees downward to be flush with the rest of the light - if the sheet metal is springy and conforms to approximately the same curve as the bodytube OD, then that would act as a locking feature as well. My only concern would be the method of swivel-attachment for an implementation like that. It would be important to keep it as flush to the body as possible, and shouldn't compromise the integrity of the bodytube.

4. I like the 75 degree beam without the hotspot! Although I wouldn't want to change it on my H50, I think having a slightly tighter beam would be beneficial in most scenarios - it will slightly increase the lux rating allowing for greater throw with the same drive current or the same throw with less current. I think this change will definitely make the light more useful - I've found that during walks, a deal of light goes into the sky/treetops even when I have it swiveled down so it almost lights my toes as I walk.

5. +1 for tailcap lockout. I don't usually use this feature but many people do and it will definitely be a good selling point.

6. +1 for the updated H50 as well... but not too soon! I'd put it off until some emitter advances have taken place and you've finished with your current projects. I really like the twisty interface on my H50, so I probably wouldn't spend the money on another one unless it had some tangible runtime/output improvements.

7. While I agree that if not properly adjusted the H50 headband isn't the most comfortable I would have to question the setup proposed in the image posted by user Tronic: it appears that under that band configuration, all of the strain from the band would be directly bore by the bracket itself - is the bracket capable of long-term durability if used that way - IOW, will the stress induce fatigue-related failure? I'm not opposed to that setup, merely raising a concern - personally I like the way it is now... with a bit thicker bracket backing perhaps, between the bodytube and forehead?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for interface number (1)

(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF, click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF

Keep it simple. This like a typical bike light interface

Number (3) is way too complicated and a momentary mode is useless on a headlamp IMO. I like the idea of a recessed lens to avoid blinding people. I think a (very) small diameter reflector would better though since less light would be wasted.

Last edited:

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the idea with the double action push button, but it is important that it is easy to use when wearing gloves. Maybe there should be a finger stopper/grip device at the middle of the light head so it doesn't move on your head when you push the button? (I would put my thumb on it and use the index finger for pushing the button).
I find myself using the middle mode the most when using my headlamps to achieve acceptable runtime without having to change batteries in foul weather (because that is a real PITA). So for me the most sensible UI would be:

On light button down: low mode
On light button up before 1.5 sec : medium mode
On light button up after 1.5 sec : low mode
On hard button down: high mode
On hard button up before 5 sec : high mode
On hard button up after 5 sec : lock out button/light
When locked, push hard button for 5 sec to release.
When on in low mode, hold light button down for 1.5 sec to switch to medium mode.
When on in medium mode, hold light button down for 1.5 sec to switch to low mode.
When on in high mode, hard click to return to previous mode (low, medium or off).

I hope this made sense? The advantage with this UI is that medium mode is the default mode when clicking the light button while low mode is easily available and can be accessed directly without blinding you with the middle mode, and all modes is available without double clicking which is impossible with gloves.

So how bright should the different modes be? The low mode should be low enough for comfortable reading a map at 40 cm with night adapted eyes, the two other modes should be regulated for runtime instead of brightness. I feel 8 hours medium and 2 hours high is the best trade off.

If the double action push button idea doesn't work out, then I hope you can make a single mode light with 8 hours runtime.

Sigbjoern

Last edited:

whc

Enlightened
Wow very nice, really like the button UI, and the looks is also very nice, and would defiantly be in for one of these.

Will there be a 1xAA version of it two?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: Camera style switch for the new ZebraLight H30 UI

Wow, this light is looking good!!! :takeit:

I like my H50, but the H30 seems to be a great improvement. :rock:

I agree that the UI is too complicated.
I would prefer a soft push-button. Every push change the brightness to the next level.
OFF - LO - MEDIUM - HIGH - OFF
Push the button if the light is more than 2 second on any level turn the light off. (Same UI as the PT EOS)

The H50 headband was not very comfortable
How about change the band attachment to something like this?

+1 to what Tronic said. I also like 3 levels. Low for ultimate run-time, Med when you need enough light for walking around camp while still providing good battery life, and Hi when you need serious light and don't care about battery life. I also like the soft touch level changes since that's what my brain is most used to.

Although I'd like to see all the Zebralights with a standard sized headband, if it had a top strap that would really be helpful for jogging and hiking. I guess that would require changing the light bracket though.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
New ZebraLight H30

UI No1 gets my vote ..... nice and simple
... a low, low ... happy medium ... supernova high...

and an easy to press raised switch button, i don`t want to have to switch it on with my
finger nail !! .......:thumbsup:

................. Thanks ZebraLight :)

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
After our many hours of use in Guyana, I have some personal opinions about some of the questions posed about the new UI:

1) You really should keep the three levels. In prolonged use, they are each very valuable. Two would compromise things too much - too low a high, too high a low, etc.

2) Keep it simple *****. The interface really needs to be intuitive, not a memory exercise.

$ 0.02

John

mkrabach

Newly Enlightened
I am in favor of a simple UI, forget the momentary feature, three levels is fine. With gloves, fancy pressing is fussy. Just a round-robin clicking, with memory for the last setting.

I also don't like to use all expensive 123 batteries. AA (alkaline and rechargable) are found every where in USA and are a standard size. As for the less duration on the AA batteries, just carry a pocket or backpack with a few extra rechargable NiMH. Especially now that the new slow discharge NiMH ones are coming out, you don't have to worry too much about self-discharge on a long trip.

As far as the beam angle, how about a 90 deg. The Ray-O-Vac 1 watt Sportsman Xtreme has a beam about 55 deg in the diffuser mode. I hacked a 90 deg headlamp that is weak, but gives a nice walking beam. <http://www.krabach.info/headlamp/headlamp.html> Sort of hiking in bright moonlight. And the fact that it is weak, it does not upset my night vision too much. That is one good reason for a weak low beam in the sequence. The true utility of your light is the close up work with a large beam. Not many headlamps do it even adequately. If I am walking/hiking I use the headlamp to see the trail, and if I want to examine a feature in the distance I just use a high powered AA hand flashlight, such as one with a Cree XR-E 3 watt, or similar. It is far easier to scan with a hand flashlight than move your head around searching for some object in the distance.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

Last edited:

DevL

Newly Enlightened
I like UI number 1 option.
I agree make the lanyard attachment part of the light and not stick out.
I like the 75 degree beam.
Make one in AA just like that 123 version.
If a half tun of the tail cap works for lock out that is fine, as long as it is still waterproof.
Keep the 3 modes.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF, click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF
Best one.
I also vote for keeping the three levels as they are, I use medium most but I'm happy having the others.
I would like to have an AA version.
The current flood beam is wonderful, will see if the 75° beam is as good as the current one. Sounds a little bit narrow.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Why does the first great CR123 headlamp ... a project that I thought would be really great when looking at the H50 ... why does this headlamp get ruined by the ever present demon of a multi-click interface?
I guess it must be destiny ... :banghead: :(

I am out then.

bernie

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most definately will buy one. I like UI #1 and #2. #2 seems very easy to use and am leaning towards that one. Either one is fine. #3 is a little to much.

I'll say it again, I think this is one cool looking light for use as a pocket light as well. The design looks so rugged but sleek at the same time. I like the button switch design/location and it will make it very easy to use one handed.

Will this be able to use rechargable Cr123's?

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZebraLight,

I have asked via email without a reply so I will ask here.

What are the drive currents of the various headlamps you currently offer and plan to offer in the future?

I'm with Kiessling on the Keep it simple and lose the click, click, click, click.

And on a last note in this post. You are a supporting manufacture in the Market Place. Why have you not started any threads there? That is where the sales should be taking place anyway. That isn't to say that you can't introduce ideas and ask for input here though. Customer input is always a plus and your informative posts are most appreciated. But pursuing the sales in those threads (on CPF) directly or indirectly is to be avoided and needs to be kept on the Marketplace.

Last edited:

bhds

Enlightened
Why does the first great CR123 headlamp ... a project that I thought would be really great when looking at the H50 ... why does this headlamp get ruined by the ever present demon of a multi-click interface?
I guess it must be destiny ... :banghead: :(

bernie

+1
Please dont get carried away with complicated interfaces.
Leave the fancy stuff to Fenix and the white wall hunting James Bond wannabees.:p

bwm

Newly Enlightened
Definitely UI number 1 - off, low, medium, high, off. Keep all three levels. I find myself using low at night, medium for walking and high for tasks.

Beam angle - I think a 90 degree beam would be more useful. My CR2 Ion beam is less than 90 degrees and sometimes I would find myself wishing the beam was a little wider. With a narrower beam the light would be brighter and I might be able to use medium for tasks instead of high allowing for longer runtime.

A better clip is great - I have given up on using the clip which came with my H50.

I agree with other posters that if a lanyard attachment is provided I would like it to be part of the body of the light even if it makes the light longer.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.