new ZebraLight H30 UI etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I passed on the H50 due to the hugely wide beam w/ no spot. I think that the 75d beam mentioned, or the 90, would be nice. Also like the UI #1. Needs the lockout feature mentioned.
I think if there were no lanyard hole at all, everyone would still get along fine. It is primarily a headlamp, after all. Maybe make a ring available w/ a lanyard attachment point.
Rechargeable 123s would be nice, but not neccesarily a deal breaker.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds pretty good for the most part.
Please keep it simple! Multi-clicking is frowned upon by many.
Of the three options #2 sounds the best. I like the idea of the double switch peovided it is reliable. Waterproofness is tremendously more important on a headlamp IMO. So be sue that switch plays nice when (extremely) wet.
As for the beam angle... a comparison photo might do well for us to compare the H50 vs. the H30.

cat

Enlightened
Re: Camera style switch for the new ZebraLight H30 UI

I want NOW!

:D Yes, but no compromising of quality. The switch, especially, like PhantomPhoto mentions, must be right, from the start. The kind of switch I have in mind can be quite expensive. It's not as simple and long-lasting as the twisty cap switch.

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Camera style switch for the new ZebraLight H30 UI

UI to be as simple as possible please. If you put multi-clicks on it, I won't be getting one.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
ZebraLight,
What are the drive currents of the various headlamps you currently offer and plan to offer in the future?

The LED on the H50 (P4 and Q5) is driven at 10mA for low, 50mA for med, and about 280mA for high. For the H30, we will most likely keep the same currents for the low and medium, and bump up the current a little bit for high.

Daekar

Enlightened
The LED on the H50 (P4 and Q5) is driven at 10mA for low, 50mA for med, and about 280mA for high. For the H30, we will most likely keep the same currents for the low and medium, and bump up the current a little bit for high.

Sounds like good choices to me, Bravo for keeping that low-low! I think since the battery capacity for the H60 is going to be higher it might be nice to have a very slightly higher medium setting to make that setting more useful. Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing/reading reviews and releases! :popcorn:

B@rt

Flashaholic
Sounds good so far, but I would like the simplest ui possible, momentary and change brightness with soft click, on/off with hard click. ;)
(And please start at low)

Last edited:

cat

Enlightened
+1. :thumbsup:

@everyone wanting an AA version. We already have an AA version. I understand you want an AA version with these new CR123A version features. I know some people who want the same as the first version, but with CR123 battery because that's what they've standardised on.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZebraLight - I like the current settings (this is to the LED I presume). I would not go too much higther on the high mode, maybe 330 -350 max. Anything more does not produce much more light but starts to consume energy as heat as the LED becomes less efficient. But I am sure you are aware of this - just thought I would say it. Maybe 75ma on medium would be ok if you are planning any other changes.

David_Web

Newly Enlightened
"(3) double action push button with momentary:
light press and hold --------- momentary low
further press while mom low - momentary high
hard press and hold --------- momentary high
light click ------------------- constant low
hard click ------------------- constant high
double light click ------------ constant medium
light click when on ---------- off"

I could hug you!

I think this is the first light I could buy regardless of price.
But please don't make it too expensive for a poor student.

And do keep 3 levels!

Do you think the body would be easier to hold if it was flared like an aleph cr2 body?
Link to pic

Dr.K

Enlightened
Very cool,

I think it's a good idea about the slightly narrower beam, bravo. I keep the glare shield on my H50 all the time. So, to get more lux, and longer runtimes will be a HUGE plus over the H50.

the pushbutton UI seems like it will be better for me (as long as a lockout is available), I like option number 1 on your list best, although I can use the twist feature when my H50 is clipped to my hat no problem.

I'm sure headband comfort is always an issue, but I almost always have some sort of hat on when sporting a headlamp

Now, for the real question that has been scratching at me for some time now.

Where is the 18650 version? Do you have a design in mind, or a picture you could show us? Please, Please, pretty Please! :naughty:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh - it would be VERY cool if the switch button was luminous. Unless it is a hard button not made of soft material. You made mention of a "camera" type button and there are some very nice buttons available if you were to get one and use it on this light. Either way, keep that cool luminous holder as a supplied accesory.

Anxiously awaiting this light!

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
My humble opinion:

-Forget the momentary. The point of a headlamp is to have both hands free. What good is it to use one hand awkwardly holding a button on your forehead? Easier just to press the button for on, then press for off when you're done. Can't imagine much signaling use on a headlamp light.

-I don't mind 3 modes, but with 3 or more levels, memory is very convenient. Medium will probably be the most commonly used and it would be annoying having to cycle to it each time I use the headlamp. If memory is not an option, at least have -medium- as the first setting from off, then click low, click high, click off.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I like the 3-levels on my H50 headlamp as they are all useful. UI #1 is perfect... simple but effective. Or, if it's not too expensive to design, a programmable UI so you can choose... :thumbsup:

While the wide angle of light is unique, I find that it's a bit too wide and, when I use it outdoors, most of the spill is wasted on the peripheral when it really doesn't benefit too much. I like the idea of narrowing the angle.

I don't mind an integrated lanyard but I'm not keen on the design in the cad diagram. I'm also not a big fan of the headband as I find the light spins a bit after you turn it on - would prefer a bracket of some kind but that would likely increase the cost.

Overall, I'm actually surprised that, although this is not one of my more powerful lights, I actually like this light a lot because of the small size, light weight, straightforward UI and the fact it runs on a single 'AA' battery. :twothumbs

ZebraLight

Enlightened
Very cool,

Where is the 18650 version? Do you have a design in mind, or a picture you could show us? Please, Please, pretty Please! :naughty:

The very first 18650 powered light will be the H60. The H60 will look just like the H30, with slightly bigger diameter and longer length. The H30 and the H60 will share the same UI, switch designs and components.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't object to 3 levels per se, I just think a 3rd level is not worth the cost in increased UI complexity unless it's done in a very simple way. I suggest: No momentary. No two level pushbutton. No multiple clicks. No memory. Just:

When the light is off:
Push button and hold it down (or let go): it goes to low as soon as you push it, to medium after 0.5 seconds, to high after 1 second, and back to low after 2 seconds. When you let go, it stays in whatever setting it was on when you let go.

When the light is on:
Push button and let go after less than 0.5 seconds: turn off
Push button and hold: do nothing for 0.5 seconds, then cycle through low->med->high->low etc. until user lets go of the button.

The BEST 3-level pushbutton interface is probably not feasible in this light. It's to use 4 separate buttons (low, med, high, off). Next best is an up-down rocker switch (two buttons). These one-button setups will never completely satisfy.

Finally are you still going to do a 1aaa version?

Last edited:

ZebraLight

Enlightened
I don't object to 3 levels per se, I just think a 3rd level is not worth the cost in increased UI complexity unless it's done in a very simple way. I suggest: No momentary. No two level pushbutton. No multiple clicks. No memory. Just:

When the light is off:
Push button and hold it down (or let go): it goes to low as soon as you push it, to medium after 0.5 seconds, to high after 1 second, and back to low after 2 seconds. When you let go, it stays in whatever setting it was on when you let go.

When the light is on:
Push button and let go after less than 0.5 seconds: turn off
Push button and hold: do nothing for 0.5 seconds, then cycle through low->med->high->low etc. until user lets go of the button.

The BEST 3-level pushbutton interface is probably not feasible in this light. It's to use 4 separate buttons (low, med, high, off). Next best is an up-down rocker switch (two buttons). These one-button setups will never completely satisfy.

Finally are you still going to do a 1aaa version?

paulr, thanks for your suggestions. I've added the digital 3 level ramping as 4th UI option.

We will have an 1AAA H40 sometimes after the H60.

paulr

Flashaholic
Cool. Are you going to re-do the H50 to have the pushbutton and 75 degree lens?

I also think you should make the bracket more rigid and make the headband narrower (less material->more compact to stow).

Status
Not open for further replies.