Night trekking with HDS clickies. Mainly High CRI. **PHOTO Intensive**

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow,i didn't know that there are some durian trees in S'pore,i thought you guys were in Johor side.Nice shots.

The durians are found on a small island northeast of mainland Singapore. The island is a part of Singapore and it's name is Pulau Ubin, pronounced Poo Lao Oo Bin. Pulau Ubin is the *******ized version of the Malay language Pulau (Island) Jubin (Tile). Literally it means Tile Island, but in the early days before homogenous and slate tiles, most tiles are made of polished granite rocks or marble, hence the correct translation should be Granite Island. In fact, the entire island is made up of a huge granite rock and there are a few abandoned quarries left over from the early days where quarry workers labor intensively to extract granite rocks for construction purposes.

edc3

Enlightened
Thanks for a great thread! It looks like you had a wonderful trip. I enjoyed seeing the local flora and fauna as much as the pictures illustrating the various lights. I think the worm with the strange head is a Hammerhead Worm, genus Bipalium. There are some very beautiful species in the same genus.

I'm looking forward to taking my High CRI (and a few other lights :devil:) backpacking next weekend, although I may not see quite the variety of animals you saw.

Don

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for a great thread! It looks like you had a wonderful trip. I enjoyed seeing the local flora and fauna as much as the pictures illustrating the various lights. I think the worm with the strange head is a Hammerhead Worm, genus Bipalium. There are some very beautiful species in the same genus.

I'm looking forward to taking my High CRI (and a few other lights :devil:) backpacking next weekend, although I may not see quite the variety of animals you saw.

Don

Thanks Don! I was commenting to James that night that it looks like a hammerhead shark without the fins. Little did I know that it is called the hammerhead worm. I am going back there again next weekend most likely. This time I will have my HDS high CRI and my Surefire M3LT. Happy backpacking Don!

Bass

Enlightened
Yes, I know about the Sundrop and had wanted to purchase one initially but the low lumen ratings of the Sundrop and the fact that it really is a full flood flashlight had me looking at the HDS high CRI instead. I had intended for this light to be used on my frequent overnight stay in this remote island and the HDS clicky still offers a little bit more throw than the Sundrop from what I have seen in the video footage.

Agree - and your longer distance tree shots would not be possible with the Sundrop. For your shots here I think you made the best choice.

What I prefer about the Sundrop is the Nichia LED colour - virtually pure white at 5500k and has a slightly higher CRI rating.

I am not a big fan of 'incan' brown at 3000k indoors so I think the HDS is best used outside. Your shots have shown this wonderfully.

I can see why many folks would be ordering a High CRI HDS after reading your thread - it is the best demonstration of what a difference a quality tool optimised for CRI can do and the benefits it can bring.

Great photography too - you have probably the best low light / high ISO camera available and have put it to the test. Some of these look so clean at web size they could have been taken at ISO 100!

PS - there are rumblings of a high CRI Mule and Haiku in the works from Don. High CRI Haiku vs High CRI Clicky would be a nice comparison. I think you got the job of beamshots :laughing:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
A great idea for a thread and great beamshots.

I'd better order my High CRI before the rest of the CPFers deplete Henry's stock!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree - and your longer distance tree shots would not be possible with the Sundrop. For your shots here I think you made the best choice.

What I prefer about the Sundrop is the Nichia LED colour - virtually pure white at 5500k and has a slightly higher CRI rating.

I am not a big fan of 'incan' brown at 3000k indoors so I think the HDS is best used outside. Your shots have shown this wonderfully.

I can see why many folks would be ordering a High CRI HDS after reading your thread - it is the best demonstration of what a difference a quality tool optimised for CRI can do and the benefits it can bring.

Great photography too - you have probably the best low light / high ISO camera available and have put it to the test. Some of these look so clean at web size they could have been taken at ISO 100!

PS - there are rumblings of a high CRI Mule and Haiku in the works from Don. High CRI Haiku vs High CRI Clicky would be a nice comparison. I think you got the job of beamshots :laughing:

High CRI Mule and Haiku? God save my wallet! Resistance is futile... Honestly I quite of like the Sundrop. Have seen the photo comparison done by McGizmo against SSC high CRI mod he made himself and the purity and clarity of the colors blew the high CRI away. Was really tempted honestly but at the price he charges I got to reconsider if it would fit into my application.

And yes, you are right. The camera I brought for the shoot is the best one can find for a shoot like this. Had wanted to bring a Nikon D700 but I still find it slightly noisier than the D3s at ISO 6400. I don't want the higher chroma noise to affect the tint color of the beam shots.

Now... how much would the high CRI Haiku cost???

EV_007

Enlightened
Nicely done. This high CRI light is becoming my favorite. Nice for photography since it does not give off the "moonglow" look.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done. This high CRI light is becoming my favorite. Nice for photography since it does not give off the "moonglow" look.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thank you. What exactly is "moonglow" look? You mean flat colors?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
omfg man you r so disgusting!!!
super close shot for those bugs and worms!!!:eek:oo::eek:oo::eek:oo:

btw the durian are nice!:hitit:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Outstanding beamshots Andy! Thanks for taking the time to take and post all of them. :goodjob::kewlpics:

This is the first thread I've actually seen with such a vast array of quality beamshots of the HDS/Ra Clicky in actual use outdoors. Great job!

I was leaning towards the 140, but those comparison beamshots of the High CRI, 140 and 170 against that tree 30m away really make the 170 shine as a thrower. :thumbsup:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding beamshots Andy! Thanks for taking the time to take and post all of them. :goodjob::kewlpics:

This is the first thread I've actually seen with such a vast array of quality beamshots of the HDS/Ra Clicky in actual use outdoors. Great job!

I was leaning towards the 140, but those comparison beamshots of the High CRI, 140 and 170 against that tree 30m away really make the 170 shine as a thrower. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the compliments. The 170 definitely looks brighter on subject in longer distances but in close range use I prefer the 140 or high CRI for the more floody beam. If you already have a thrower then you might want to consider getting one that floods? I think a flood light gets more use but that's just me.

Andy

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The 170 tactical is another story altogether. A month after my high CRI purchase I was tempted to try out the 170T after some discussion with forum member Kaichu Dento about the merits of flood beam SSC P4 versus the more throwy GDP emitter. Like Kaichu Dento, we both love the floodier beam profiles of the SSC P4 emitters since it covers almost all of our application needs. However, I do also like the more throwy beam projected by the 170T. Not bad for a single cell light with that sort of power.
I forgot all about those conversations but it's reading posts like this that make me cautious when making recommendations. While I still prefer a floodier light there are the times that my GDP 170 is very welcome.

Tonight I had to crawl under the house to work on the plumbing in the crawl space and while I still preferred the floodier beam of my Draco for up close, the 170 ruled for looking at everything from distance since the floody beam tended to clutter my view with too much light on dirt and floor joists.

Those are some great shots you've got there and I want to try some of that fruit someday!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot all about those conversations but it's reading posts like this that make me cautious when making recommendations. While I still prefer a floodier light there are the times that my GDP 170 is very welcome.

Tonight I had to crawl under the house to work on the plumbing in the crawl space and while I still preferred the floodier beam of my Draco for up close, the 170 ruled for looking at everything from distance since the floody beam tended to clutter my view with too much light on dirt and floor joists.

Those are some great shots you've got there and I want to try some of that fruit someday!

Actually I do agree with you. I find the 170 quite useful in some circumstances and felt that it does compliment the 140 SSC P4 quite well.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all of you for viewing. I am happy you enjoyed the photos.

So to those who are on the fence about the high CRI and to those who could not decide between high CRI and cool white, I hope this thread would help you make a more informed decision.

Warmest regards,

Andy

Thanks for the photos! I am trying to decide between a high-CRI and a 140 GT and these photos really help. BTW, I've never been to Singapore but have been to KL and Penang but unfortunately never got out of the cities... Looks like some great outdoor fun.

Cheers.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the photos! I am trying to decide between a high-CRI and a 140 GT and these photos really help. BTW, I've never been to Singapore but have been to KL and Penang but unfortunately never got out of the cities... Looks like some great outdoor fun.

Cheers.

Thanks. It's kind of difficult to find a place to play my lights here in Singapore. Singapore is so small and everywhere is so well lit such that it made us flashaholics appear to be crazy holding a flashlight in our hands. The island where these photos are taken is the only place where I can find pleasure with all my lights and be able to fully utilize them. But that does not stop me from having an EDC with me on a day to day basis.

iacchus

Enlightened
Andy,

Just wanted to let you know, I use this thread all the time to explain high CRI to people (at least, those that will listen to me babble about it).
I keep those pics of the owl on my hardrive (to easily show folks here without hopping on the net); they may be the best example of the difference that I have ever seen.

Even my wife, who feigns sleep when I mention anything about flashlights (not fun when she is driving), had to admit that the difference was astonishing.

Of course, the credit rightly goes to the photographer, and not the light source.
I think these photos will serve their purpose for quite some time.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
Thank you. What exactly is "moonglow" look? You mean flat colors?

Yup, flat coolish tones that wash everything out like the glow of the moonlight.

You got some nice photo gear there. I can't think of a better camera than the D3s and the 1.4 lens for handheld beamshots.

My humble D700 is awaiting the arrival of its big brother to arrive someday.