Night trekking with HDS clickies. Mainly High CRI. **PHOTO Intensive**

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andy,

Just wanted to let you know, I use this thread all the time to explain high CRI to people (at least, those that will listen to me babble about it).
I keep those pics of the owl on my hardrive (to easily show folks here without hopping on the net); they may be the best example of the difference that I have ever seen.

Even my wife, who feigns sleep when I mention anything about flashlights (not fun when she is driving), had to admit that the difference was astonishing.

Of course, the credit rightly goes to the photographer, and not the light source.
I think these photos will serve their purpose for quite some time.

Thanks for the encouraging compliments! I am glad the photos are put to good use in your evangelism of the lights!

Cheers!

Andy

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, flat coolish tones that wash everything out like the glow of the moonlight.

You got some nice photo gear there. I can't think of a better camera than the D3s and the 1.4 lens for handheld beamshots.

My humble D700 is awaiting the arrival of its big brother to arrive someday.

I got the D3s for my job. It is indeed a wonderful camera. If you are considering one, why not wait for the D4 that may be coming soon in a year or so?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great photo comparison! I'm glad I bought my EDC High CRI back when they were still available. :)
Hopefully Henry will offer more hight CRI lights in the future.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump for a great High CRI thread. Wish these (or a higher output version?) would come back into stock soon :(

Great photo comparison! I'm glad I bought my EDC High CRI back when they were still available. :)
Hopefully Henry will offer more hight CRI lights in the future.

Thanks guys! I love my high CRI for outdoor usage. Still there are times I wished it could be brighter, but then this is what SSC could offer.

harton

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the awesome pictures,
I'm trying to decide between the high CRI and the HDS.GD 170

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think any high CRI HDS lights exist currently in the market, unless someone has a piece that they are selling off on the resale market. HDS is experimenting with a new High CRI emitter and you might want to keep a lookout for that if you are interested. Also have a look at the new 200 lumen cool white lights. Overall it does put out more light and is floodier than the 170 and it is much more suitable for close range use.

aerosmith9110

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to Sg this feb. I hope to know a few CPF members there.. so I can taste durian right out of the tree :D

charlton

Newly Enlightened
very nice thread, thank you for the pictures, really helps a novice understand what my needs and wants are, as far as beam color.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are welcome. Till now I still like the high CRI clicky very much even though it has been with me quite a while, but now I have discovered also a new love with the McGizmo Haiku high CRI, both of which are awesome lights.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bah humbug..now you're tempting me to order my first HDS Ra Clicky 200.(too broke right now,but in a few months,watch out.. my wallet will suffer some HDS-inflicted damage..)

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Bumpity bump, can't wait to get my HDS high CRI !!

Sent this link to my brother who is a photographer, he was amazed.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bumpity bump, can't wait to get my HDS high CRI !!

Sent this link to my brother who is a photographer, he was amazed.
Thanks for bumping this up. Just as an FYI, the current crop of high CRI uses Cree's XP-G emitter and would look slightly warmer than what you see in the photos here. Still very nice color rendition, but just slightly different than what you would get with the SSC P4 emitter. If I were to choose, I prefer the output of the Cree and the color of the SSC P4.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah this is a great thread.
All of the questions regarding brighter CW vs dimmer HCRI lights should get a link to those two pictures of the owl.

merc240d

Newly Enlightened
Your pictures really show the value of having Hi-CRI. Love the warmth of the light. Awaiting a HDS Hi-CRI to be the big brother to the Eiger Hi-CRI I have.

srgantong

Newly Enlightened
Great bump, I love this thread. It made me upgrade my order from a 200 lumen tactical to a HiCRI Rotary custom last year. Now just waiting for it to get here, hopefully soon. Thanks for the great review and photos.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andy, I clicked to view this thread because you have it linked in your signature. Good idea, because it's a fun mini-adventure to browse through the shots of your trip. What an amazing part of the world where you live! It's kind of like a cross between the Caribbean and Australia. :) Great photos. I love nature and you captured the night life there very well.

I was most impressed by the neutral white Zebralight H60W in comparison to the HDS high CRI. I've been saving up for an HDS Rotary, but I'm tempted to get an SC52w instead. ;)

Cheers, ~Gary

Last edited: