Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
What?! Ahh noo, I would have gotten an EC2 instead of a P12 if I knew the updated version threw that far.

I do wonder what would happen if this beast were dedomed...considering the rippled nature of the reflector, would the beam pattern be adversely affected? It'd be interesting to have a reflector based 1" diameter 18650 throw almost as far as its 40mm siblings...

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: I just got me PD12 today and I like it.

I see a lot of talk about throw. The hot spot looks about the same size as my PD32 XP-G2. The PD32UE has a lot bigger hotspot.

I'm glad it just has 4 modes and not 5. They seem well spaced. I like the low mode.....higher than a true moonlight but very low and usable in my opinion. I know they are not for everyone, but I'm personally a fan of the side mode switches and the momentary forward tactical on/off switch.

This light is very similar to Fenix. If you like the PD32, you'll like this one. I don't have a PD35 but I imagine its a competitor to that one also.

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup: I just got me PD12 today and I like it.

I see a lot of talk about throw. The hot spot looks about the same size as my PD32 XP-G2. The PD32UE has a lot bigger hotspot.

I'm glad it just has 4 modes and not 5. They seem well spaced. I like the low mode.....higher than a true moonlight but very low and usable in my opinion. I know they are not for everyone, but I'm personally a fan of the side mode switches and the momentary forward tactical on/off switch.

This light is very similar to Fenix. If you like the PD32, you'll like this one. I don't have a PD35 but I imagine its a competitor to that one also.

Do you wish for a user selectable 450 lumens mode instead of waiting for the light to slowly drop down to the 450 lumens?

The jump from 900+ lumens to the next level down seems a little too wide a gap.

450 lumens would also help to extend runtime with adequate lumen levels.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my P12 today and I really like it, in fact I have been very satisfied with all the P series lights that I have. I carry the D25LC2 L2 every day so it will be entrusting to see how well I can carry the P12, I think if you are a fan of cylindrical shaped lights then the P12 should be at the top of your list.

It is bigger than the D25LC2 yes but it is also a good deal brighter just doing a ceiling bounce test, it has a low voltage indicator and also you have the option of the cigar grip ring. Mine came with no chips or missing ano and for the first time in a very long time I got a light without dust under the lens or on the reflector, tint is very good slightly cool but with no sign at all of green or yellow. :)

I do wish there was a shortcut to the lowest mode on start up but hey at least it has a real low mode.

texastactical

Newly Enlightened
Ok now there are two foreign language video reviews. :poke: Come on guys I would really like to see an English video on this light.

y260

Enlightened
P12's and crenelated (murderous) 40mm bezels just came in :D

u37f.jpg

nzyy.jpg

Waymed

Newly Enlightened
I do wish there was a shortcut to the lowest mode on start up but hey at least it has a real low mode.

I always shut my P12 off on the low mode....with the memory, it turns on in low mode.
I am very satisfied with the UI and everything else with this light.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always shut my P12 off on the low mode....with the memory, it turns on in low mode.
I very satisfied with the UI and everything else with this light.

LOL. such a chore

some people have resorted to covering the lens with their hand before turn-on so they don't get surprised by what mode was actually memorized

i just don't get it why people like these side buttons so much

rje58

Enlightened
In the past, I have always preferred tail buttons. I bought an Olight S-series light as an experiment to see how I would like the side button interface - and I didn't! I sold it immediately. My main issue was having to find the side button to turn it on, once I removed it from holster or pocket. I never have to search for a tail button!

I recently purchased a Nitecore P12 and I really like it! I am still getting used to the side button mode changes, but I am able to immediately turn the light on with the tail button - eliminating my biggest complaint - having to locate the side button just to get light out of the tube! I also like the battery indicator function built into the side switch. And to me, it's not as big a deal to have to locate the side switch to change modes, as it is to locate it just to get LIGHT!

The only thing that keeps the P12 from being my brightest EDC light is the length - so my EagleTac D25LC2 retains that spot.

I'm OK with tail or side, not both.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
The tail switch is usually a toss up for me. I used to love my PD32UEs but holding them like a cop gets old! I still like them, but find myself using side switches more often. I also like clips for reference, so finding the side button is no issue except on the EA4 - that tiny switch gets lost.

Saquavin

Newly Enlightened
Just received my P12.
After comparison with my Fenix PD35, I can say they are near the same lights. I will not go on the features, they are same size, same weight, same form factor, etc...
There are the differences I noticed, just only the ones which can not be known with products given features :
- PD35 is little more floody (little)
- P12 tube diameter is larger, so it can be useful with "big" batteries like Enerpower. 3400 mah version of these just go in and out really easy, juste have to put tube vertical and it falls. This is not the case with PD35, where battery enter with force, and don't fall when I put tube vertical, I have to unlock both side and press with finger.

For me, and only eyes tested, light output is the same for both lights, or differrence is not noticeable enough.

If you have already PD35, P12 will be useless.
If you have none of these lights and want one, just go to look for "manufactured" differences :
- which modes do you prefer ?
- do you want power indication ? (P12)
- do you need tail-stand ? (P12)

Hope it helps ;)

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
P12 is also about $15 cheaper than PD35 ;) What about throw, is P12 better or they're comparable? By more floody you mean wider beam or less throw?

Latest posts