ok who is rocking the oldest computer?

3_gun

Enlightened
Old 2007 HP wiped of Vista & loaded w/XP-32b SP2. Duel core E8300 w/4g ram. Use it daily. Runs like a champ. Will still do 99% of what I need a computer to do .. rec TV, edit pic/video, run office/email, etc just a bit slower than the one I'm using now. Still use my old win98 system just to F with people. You'd be surprised how much you can still do with it, it's just so s...l...o...w compared to just about anything you plug in. Of course in was amazing compared to my win3.1 system I started with .. yes I'm that old & no I don't still have it

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Until late 2019 I was running an i5-750 w/ 8GB of memory. Got 10 years out of that machine. Started out on a spinny platter hard drive and a single GPU. Got some mid-life upgrades to SATA SSD, 8GB of memory, and the absurdity of dual 2011 vintage GPUs that I got for free from a friend.

Still sitting next to the new machine and worked OK last time I fired it up a few months ago.

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
Just last year I bought myself a 2010 Mac Pro with dual quad-core CPUs and a beefy GPU upgrade. It's 11 years old and I still can't bog it down no matter how hard I try. Got it pretty cheap too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love it post more u all. keep these machines out of the landfill

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is funny this thread came up as I just sent a PM to someone mentioning my old monitor. My computer is not as old as some of yours, it's about 7 years old now, AMD FX 8350 4Ghz eight core with 16GB RAM and 512SSD drive, two DVD (not blu-ray) drives and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 960. The video card is plenty good since any games I play are old and I don't game that much nowadays anyways. Some of my parts like the power supply, DVD drives, and fans are actually from older computers and are about ten or eleven years old. I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB 20" CRT monitor that I'm seriously considering upgrading now. My cable modem is about three years old now and is probably the newest computer part I have aside from my ghetto tp-link wireless router I got off amazon a couple years ago.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When Windows 7 came out I was all in on digital photography. I had a computer running Vista that was constantly having issues. I don't even remember what brand it was but it was a turd. My XP OS Sony from 2002 was still better. But it was so slow loading big file 16 bit RAW photos.

Back then eeeeeeeeverbody in photography were using MAC Pro desktops, but they started out at $2300 plus another $1000 for a good monitor. Back then I subscribed to ShutterBug magazine to learn how the pro's did it. It was owned and operated by a common sense guy who knew a ton of tricks on getting the most out of given equipment, be it lighting, tripods, monitors and printers along with cameras and lenses.

One article covered the new Windows 7 for photographers. It turned out that it was a boon for us photographers on a budget. The experts waled "what are you talking about, it's MAC or bust"……

One evening I was in Best Buy and saw a big ole 18" screen gamer laptop "open box" that was $1800 down to $1200. I texted my son the IT expert at the time about it and he responded "buy it, buy it now". So I did. Between the state of the art graphics card, the 1TB dual memory's, the 18" vs my 13" screen, etc the world was no longer flat for my photography. I could actually play music and edit photos at the same time without having time to make a cup of coffee while another picture loaded.

The only time it's been hooked to the internet other than the installtion of Windows 7 itself was a time when it refused to cooperate with a USB C cord to load photos from an Android device. An update took place and Microsoft was happy they got to peek into my hard drive(s) and I was happy that photos could quickly load using the C cord and a USB3 port (it came with).

It started running pretty slow this year so I dumped a bunch of software I never use anymore, cleaned up the disk(s), free'd up a bunch of memory and shut off a ton of stuff that turns on each time it fires up. It runs like new again.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when my os is slow i just reformat and reinstall os. now im on a chrome book i love it for its cost of 2 hundred bucks with 8 core cpu 14 inch touch screen

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm running a Dell 560 inspiron
with a Pentium dual core CPU @ 3.2 GHz
4 gigs of RAM
with a 12/1/2010 BIOS.
Running Windows 10 Home

My phone has an Octa-core 4x2.6 GHz CPU with 4 gigs of faster RAM.
Running Android.

In a week or two after the new iPhone 13 comes out, I may switch and get a iPhone 12. My daughter really wants me to go Apple, and AT&T says my phone won't work on 5G network.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Going from Android to Apple involves a big learning curve that is very frustrating at first. And depending on how involved you are in tweaking stuff may find Apple limiting.

Apps in Android each tend to have their own rhythm where with Apple they all go through a centralized system setup. Example, my music app on an Android can be tweaked directly from the app in the drawer or from the icon on the screen where on my iPhone the changes occur through "settings" that has all apps centralized like the Android app drawer. They cannot be adjusted through the app icon on the screen.

I bought the 12 for the camera, even though it's 5g capable and has a really fast (for portable) processor. Verizon offered me full new price as trade in value for my 8 so it ended up being the 12 I bought was half price.

Only reason I don't still use a motorola Droid is the battery quit taking a charge. One by one each Android device failed after about a year so I went to Apple and never looked back.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Going from Android to Apple involves a big learning curve that is very frustrating at first.
iTunes was the hurdle for me. At the time I had the iPhone 3G, said app clocked in at some 9GB installed running a good half-dozen services. Drag-and-drop was a horrific chore since Apple wasn't going to just map the storage as USB like every other phone - instead you were expected to use some nebulous synch function from a single directory and let iTunes figure things out. I think I went through the exercise a grand total of about two dozen times before the phone stopped responding to iTunes altogether. I had zero interest in re-acquiring music I had already ripped to MP3, thus never spent a cent on music via Apple.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's why I went to WalMart and spent $75 for an unlocked Android phone. It was set up for Verizon but when setting it up the Verizon icon gave me a choice of join up or not now. Hit not now 12 times quickly and it completely unlocked itself.

Only thing it does is take photos and play music. Everything else is turned off. It's a Moto E6 with a slow computer, micro USB charging port, micro USB card slot, a headphone jack and replaceable battery. 2016 technology but the bluetooth has been flawless and battery life stupendous.

When the youngans at work ask what device I use I tell 'em a Moto PDA. They look at me like I just spoke Chinese. lol.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My first smart phone was very limited in memory, and each time it updated, there was less room for apps. There were many apps pre-loaded that I didn't use, and many were dependent on one another. I deleted a bunch of them to make room for some apps I would actually use, and pretty much broke the phone. I had to wipe it clean and do a fresh install. When I was going to get a better phone the decision was... iPhone, or Android. My son preferred Android, and my daughter preferred Apple. Then it was... $600 - $800 for an iPhone, or $150 for a Android Huawei Mate SE. My son moved out, and my daughter just threw her hands up and said... "I told you to get an iPhone... I don't know how to work an Android, they are very different!"

So... yeah I know that there will be a learning curve with the Apple product, but my daughter will help me when I get stuck. She says that the advantage is that we can share music that she has in the cloud, we can face-time each other without installing and using another app. We can track and follow each's locations. Some of those things aren't working really well cross-platform.

I have some geeky friends who went from PC's to Apple computers, and they are never going back. I am guessing that the transition won't be terrible.

Oh Noooo! Here comes a train wreck!

200.gif

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's not terrible. Just times you go "hmmm, how do you do this or that?"
A coworker is all in on Android but now has a company issued Apple so things like changing ringtones or alerts were freaking him out at first.

He's 76 and picked it up pretty quickly. What's daunting him is all of the company firewalls and specifics, but that has a lot of us scratching our heads at times.

One day a few years back I literally threw my phone out the window of the truck I was riding in after the company had yet again built in another hurdle to check emails. I went back and got it but geez, they can make pouring milk onto cereal complicated sometimes.

One feature I like is in the Accessability section where there is a way to make the camera flashlight light up at about 1 second intervals when the phone rings, you get a text or some other alerts. It flashes twice for texts or other alerts and flashes while the phone is ringing.
If you have a see through case on your phone the whole thing gentely lights up. When I work at night there are times I know my phone is alerting me because my pocket is flashing or I can see the cab of my truck flashing when I leave it in there while walking around. It's in the hearing impaired section.

I discovered it on Androids years ago. I really miss my old Moto Droid 2. I suppose I could buy another battery for it and use it as a PDA……

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have an old Lenovo beater of a laptop that's maybe 2017-ish. I suddenly needed to press it into service for something but with 4gb of ram on Win 10, it was unusably slow. So I added a 16gb module and... it was still unusably slow. WTH? Then I decided to boot it into Linux from a thumb drive and it turned into a fast machine! It looks like the Lenovo OEM version of Win10 is full of bloatware.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My daughter left her iPhone on the roof of her car and drove away. A while later she realized it was gone. She was able to use her son's phone to locate her lost phone. GPS is incredible technology.

IIRC in "Black Hawk Down" it was stated that the guys had GPS capability, but for some reason, that I don't recall, maybe it was too heavy, but they didn't bring it with them, and although two different patrols were in the same building, separated by only a wall, they didn't know it. Now we have GPS in our phones.

Scotty, beam me up!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have an old Lenovo beater of a laptop that's maybe 2017-ish. I suddenly needed to press it into service for something but with 4gb of ram on Win 10, it was unusably slow. So I added a 16gb module and... it was still unusably slow. WTH? Then I decided to boot it into Linux from a thumb drive and it turned into a fast machine! It looks like the Lenovo OEM version of Win10 is full of bloatware.
Linux rocks!
That is also one of the reasons that I got a Android phone.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wait to you in a boat on the oceans and cant see land gps becomes ya best freind lol