ok who is rocking the oldest computer?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
IIRC in "Black Hawk Down" it was stated that the guys had GPS capability, but for some reason, that I don't recall, maybe it was too heavy, but they didn't bring it with them, and although two different patrols were in the same building, separated by only a wall, they didn't know it. Now we have GPS in our phones.

Film was based on a 1993 military action. I believe that GPS receivers were large-ish at the time and a wee bit uncommon.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm sorry if I sounded critical of our armed forces. I tried to make the point of how much progress has been made. Military technology that was too bulky or heavy to carry is now in everyone's pockets today.

When I was still running a Intel 8086 chip; they had GPS technology.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm sorry if I sounded critical of our armed forces.
I didn't take it that way at all.

I tried to make the point of how much progress has been made. Military technology that was too bulky or heavy to carry is now in everyone's pockets today.
That was my takeaway. My middling cellphone for 2017 can just about run circles around my desktop computer from 2008 in a number of key metrics - more memory, more storage, a better GPU, and the phone's CPU is almost as capable as the desktop CPU despite a fraction of the power budget.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my 120 dollar watch has gps blows my mind it also tells me my heart rate

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully this is interesting to some...

Storage is always a concern for me. I also like to have backup systems that are backing up things, repeatedly.
So I opted for building instead of buying a Network Area Storage device (NAS) to hold photos, videos, CPF backups etc.
This isn't my only backup, but I wanted it to be do be my local onsite storage.

I looked at prebuilt offerings, and I didn't like everything they offered. I found a guide that said hey instead of buying a $500 machine, build it for $130. So off that rabbit hole I go. The key to the $130 machine was to buy used enterprise level equipment off ebay to build your NAS.
So I've bought motherboards, CPU's and hard drives that all had a previous life sitting in server racks running for companies like Oracle, and Sass.

I've built a pretty heft machine that has 7 hard drives, with 32gb of ram (the older ram is so cheap, so I decked it out for a few dollars more).
I also bought silent (slow moving) fans to keep the entire system cool, but again focusing on quiet). I'm using a RAID card that manages the storage of all the drives. I use a small SSD drive to load things I use frequently to make the system quite fast for loading etc.

So I have a system now that has 20 terabytes of storage....and 2 of the hard drives are parity drives, basically keeping things safe, and should something go wrong, I can lose up to 2 hard drives at anytime. The probability is low that would happen, but if I did I can have a drive here in less than a week thanks to eBay.

I know some of you like pictures, so here is the pics of the machine as I built, and all those hard drives.

IMG_2275 2.png

IMG_2224 2.png

IMG_2222 2.png

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
when my os is slow i just reformat and reinstall os. now im on a chrome book i love it for its cost of 2 hundred bucks with 8 core cpu 14 inch touch screen
Awhile back I checked to see when I installed Windows 7 Professional. It was October of 2015. I upgraded to Windows 10 in March of 2016 and I've been on the same install since. That's the longest I've ever had the same Windows install on one of my computers.

3_gun

Enlightened
I'm still using the same install of XP Pro 2002 SP3 from 2007 on my HP5800. I've thought about loading 7 but I still like having an XP machine. Next time I get the IBM T43 laptop I'm still using I'll stop by, It was loaded with XP from the start on a fat32 HD

Had to corret OS verison & SP. I'm on it now. Site looks better on XP than it does on 7

Last edited: