Opportunity to buy HDS EDC

Sarmajor

Newly Enlightened
I have an opportunity to buy a HDS EDC BASIC 42 XR, or BASIC 42 XR GT, or ULTIMATE 60 XR torch.
What do the members recommend as the best choice?

Thanks

Hedley

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are production lights by HDS quite many years ago. Although they are very nice lights, they are outdated and superseded by the clicky and rotary. Are you sure you still want to get them? If you do, you always have the choice to get the emitters modded later on to something more efficient.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you intend to swap out the emitter then a plain U60 is best, cheapest ultimate you can get. Great lights when updated, outdated with their stock lux 3 emitter.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the owner of an original HDS Ultimate 60 GT, I'd recommend getting the U60 XR.
You will appreciate the added run time.
The run time on Max is 40 minutes, compared to 30 minutes with the U60GT that I have.
Also, Henry of HDS stated back then that the U60XR was basically the same light as the later U85

If you are very sensitive to the tint of the beam, and aren't too fussy about run time or overall brightness, then get the GT model. Guaranteed tint, and mine is awesome.

And the older models you describe are shorter in length than the current models, which I think makes them more easily carry-able.
The main down-side IMO is that the run times are short compared to more modern lights. They are just older LED technology, but they still do very well if you don't demand the highest light output or long run times. And the run times are pretty decent for the lower brightness levels.
If you use a 16340 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, you can just recharge it every time you have significant use, and have it fresh and ready for morning. That's what I do. I became tired of using primary cr123 batteries, and having the Max setting run out early, and be saddled with stepped-down output for the rest of the life of the battery. The 16340 rechargeable solved this issue for me.
Much more convenient to have the Max available when desired, without wasting the remaining life of the battery. Just refresh the charge and have Max again!

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Those are production lights by HDS quite many years ago. Although they are very nice lights, they are outdated and superseded by the clicky and rotary. Are you sure you still want to get them? If you do, you always have the choice to get the emitters modded later on to something more efficient.

Actually, the LED is the only thing outdated. The old series were much more efficient on the lower levels, with runtimes approaching 1 month continuous. The newer versions low runtimes are somewhere around 128 hours.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto, and to what I think you are asking, the U60 is the one to have, as you can program it with a series of 10 clicks. Note that the Basics can do the same thing, it just takes 250 clicks to enter programming, rather than 10. And that is for each change you want to make. For me, that was just two times in, so my thumb only aches a little.

About these lights in general, the only "weak link" was the thin aluminum lens retention ring, which won't resist a hard hit on the bezel, and can result in a bent bezel and cracked lens. The most common upgrade for these is a simple swap to a titanium or stainless steel extended bezel ring, which greatly improves their durability.

Like others are saying, for a user I would (did) upgrade the LED, so there is no reason to pay any extra for the GT model, unless you like the bling of the laser etched letters on the body.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the LED is the only thing outdated. The old series were much more efficient on the lower levels, with runtimes approaching 1 month continuous. The newer versions low runtimes are somewhere around 128 hours.
Absolutely right. I gave my point above because not many people bother about extreme runtimes and on the other hand most are bothered about max output. I am fine with 60 lumen max but not many are.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would add to my previous post by saying that these older HDS lights have pretty decent throw for their power levels. The older LED had a smaller die size, which translates into better throw for the small reflector size.
My U60 GT will throw a solid 60 yards with enough light left at that distance for me to identify a small animal like a squirrel from a skunk.
It's pretty good for a little light with only 60 lumens max. Henry did a nice job with these.

Sarmajor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all yopuir input. Now I will just have to get the financial advisor (wife) to sign off.
I knew that they were older lights and not in production but looking at the pictures of them from the seller they are in BNIB condition.
Also as I am down under in New Zealand they are probably the only ones in the country.

Thanks

Hedley

wrencher

Newly Enlightened
These lights the EDC series are before the Legacy lights and parts are not enter changeable. The bezels from the Novatac lights are the same.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... the EDC series are before the Legacy lights and parts are not enter changeable.

Legacy is neither a model nor a series of lights. Legacy products refer to lights that Henry made in the past. The EDC BASIC 42 XR, BASIC 42 XR GT & ULTIMATE 60 XR are all Legacy products for which many parts are still available. Click on the link in post #10 to see the entire family of Legacy products.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Legacy is neither a model nor a series of lights. Legacy products refer to lights that Henry made in the past. The EDC BASIC 42 XR, BASIC 42 XR GT & ULTIMATE 60 XR are all Legacy products for which many parts are still available. Click on the link in post #10 to see the entire family of Legacy products.

It was my understanding that the "legacy" lights were the Ra and HDS that look like the current models but don't have Acme threads. It was to differentiate so people didn't buy acme threaded stuff for v-sharp lights.

wrencher

Newly Enlightened
EDC parts only fit those lights. When he sold his business to Novatac all the spair parts went with the sale. I have had a EDC U60 in for repair and he didn't have any parts for the repair. So I was offered a credit toward a new light. Witch is why I will always be a HDS customer.

bansuri

Enlightened
As the owner of an original HDS Ultimate 60 GT, I'd recommend getting the U60 XR.
You will appreciate the added run time.
+1! The elusive XR would be my vote. The reflectors work great with any of the modern emitters.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
It was my understanding that the "legacy" lights were the Ra and HDS that look like the current models but don't have Acme threads. It was to differentiate so people didn't buy acme threaded stuff for v-sharp lights.

According to Henry (as shown on his website) the Legacy products include all these:

Image-9853934-164030563-2-WebSmall_0_eb19049d70b7178a6eb3621e326842bc_1

Image-9853934-164030461-2-Web_0_1634777cac8da971efbebe5dd9eedb98_1

The list in in chronological order & the Ra/EDC Twisty & Ra/EDC Clicky are the newest lights that are no longer in production.

Last edited:

wrencher

Newly Enlightened
As someone who has owned a EDC Basic and EDC Ultimate lights I can assure you the parts do not enter change. I also own the Ra Clicky and Twisty and they have a different body. The same body as the current lights but different thread. Yes the the discontuned lights are all legacy lights.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who has owned a EDC Basic and EDC Ultimate lights I can assure you the parts do not enter change. I also own the Ra Clicky and Twisty and they have a different body. The same body as the current lights but different thread. Yes the the discontuned lights are all legacy lights.

The basic, and ultimate lights will most definately interchange. the only difference is how they are programmed.

the Twisty and Clicky lights are completely different.

Sarmajor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice.Pulled the trigger and got it. Now the proud owner of a mint condition EDC Ultimate 60 XR #3985. It is in perfect condition and is working just fine. CheersHedley