Orbtronic 18650 batteries and charger

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. they delete negative reviews / won't publish it at all, & users have incentive to publish glowing positive reviews
2. they send you FAKE refund emails & i need to contact PayPal directly to get my money back.

Well, I've seen negative reviews from over a year ago, they certainly can't be deleting ALL negative reviews. I've also read plenty of posts in the product forums that suggest a product is junk and should be avoided - those don't seem to get deleted either.

I can't comment on the refund issue, I've never tried to get a refund from them.

I have no idea of whether they are truly HK based, but it certainly is possible that they have an office in China and that their phone support all comes from the China office/call center.

All I really know for sure is that I have had zero problems over 20 orders and based on my own personal experience I am happy to keep dealing with DX.

Bat

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've seen negative reviews from over a year ago, they certainly can't be deleting ALL negative reviews. I've also read plenty of posts in the product forums that suggest a product is junk and should be avoided - those don't seem to get deleted either.

I can't comment on the refund issue, I've never tried to get a refund from them.

I have no idea of whether they are truly HK based, but it certainly is possible that they have an office in China and that their phone support all comes from the China office/call center.

All I really know for sure is that I have had zero problems over 20 orders and based on my own personal experience I am happy to keep dealing with DX.

they pretend to be HK based, but i'm certain they are not.

also:
http://www.google.com/search?client...eme+negative+review+deleted&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
http://www.google.com/search?q=deal...DsXjmAXz772rDA&start=10&sa=N&biw=1247&bih=886

Last edited:

shadowjk

Enlightened
You can get stuff sent through HK Post, SIngapore Post, Swiss Post, China Post and probably a few others, from shanghai and hongkong atleast.

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
  1. Orbtronic is US based company. Post mentioning word scam is quite disturbing.

1. ALL 18650 batteries are made in Asia , and there is no single word saying that these particular batteries are assembled in USA.
  2. Soshine batteries/charger will soon be under Orbtronic name. Quality control is under supervision of Orbtronic.
  3. No doubt that these are excellent batteries - read/see tests made by some quite established CPF members. Cells are made by Sanyo, and IC in protection circuit is the same as in AW 18650 batteries.
  4. There is not any better 18650 battery charger that can be found at this price range- period.
  5. Another disinformation is that DX is deleting negative feedbacks about products that they sell. That is NOT true. The only bad thing about DX is that your order can take up to two months to arrive. That is true.
  6. AW batteries are OK , but overpriced (not to mention design flaw of not having button-top welded to positive side)

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
  1. Orbtronic is US based company. Post mentioning word scam is quite disturbing.

1. ALL 18650 batteries are made in Asia , and there is no single word saying that these particular batteries are assembled in USA.
    I was going by what one of the bone-headed reviewers on Amazon had posted not information from Orbtronic
  2. Soshine batteries/charger will soon be under Orbtronic name. Quality control is under supervision of Orbtronic.
    Charger works fine so far.
  3. No doubt that these are excellent batteries - read/see tests made by some quite established CPF members. Cells are made by Sanyo, and IC in protection circuit is the same as in AW 18650 batteries.
    Batteries work great too
  4. There is not any better 18650 battery charger that can be found at this price range- period.
    I really love the charger. I'm glad I got it.
  5. Another disinformation is that DX is deleting negative feedbacks about products that they sell. That is NOT true. The only bad thing about DX is that your order can take up to two months to arrive. That is true.
    I've never ordered from them so I can't comment.
  6. AW batteries are OK , but overpriced (not to mention design flaw of not having button-top welded to positive side)
    That's only the two higher capacity batteries.The 2200mAh cells have button tops

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, space-cowboy!:thumbsup:

Orbtronic is US based company. Post mentioning word scam is quite disturbing.

I agree to some extent, but I'm not sure which is worse, potentially misleading advertising, or a "U.S. based company" that appears to be nothing more than yet another "storefront" based in the U.S. which specializes in the distribution of imported Chinese goods. There's really nothing wrong with that, providing it is made clear to the customer where these products actually originate from. It may actually be a good thing, as far as customer service etc.

Looking over Orbtronic's various offerings, I really didn't see anything that did not appear to be imported from China. Many of their products are similar to DX's and other Asian vendors, such as many UltraFire products.

Soshine batteries/charger will soon be under Orbtronic name. Quality control is under supervision of Orbtronic.
This may be a good thing. Tenergy for example, another U.S. based storefront for a Chinese company, has some fairly decent products, although they have some that fall quite short, as well.

No doubt that these are excellent batteries - read/see tests made by some quite established CPF members. Cells are made by Sanyo, and IC in protection circuit is the same as in AW 18650 batteries.
I don't recall any stellar performance reports from anyone testing Soshine cells. I'd say "fair" would be a better description. Distributors such as the various xxxxxFire brands sometimes use Sanyo cells, as well. The question is, where do they obtain these cells from? Most are "second tier" cells bought up as surplus. That doesn't mean they are necessarily bad, but often are not top quality due to age, the specific reason they were rejected for battery pack production, and so on. The "best" cells, for the most part, go into battery packs and are not sold off as surplus.

There is not any better 18650 battery charger that can be found at this price range- period.
I'll just have to disagree here. The fundamental quality of a Li-Ion charger, is that it properly charge cells. To my knowledge, none of the Soshine chargers do so. Also, for those that insist on buying a faulty charger, there are many other options that are cheaper. Considering this, in my opinion, all of Soshine's Li-Ion chargers are overpriced.

AW batteries are OK , but overpriced (not to mention design flaw of not having button-top welded to positive side)The lack of a positive nipple is not a "design flaw".
As for the cost of cells, top tier cells cost more than second tier cells. This is usually reflected in the distributor's pricing of their cells.

Also, Li-Ion cells are not manufactured to be used individually by consumers. They are manufactured for the making of battery packs for use in consumer devices such as laptop computers, and are not intended to be used in devices such as flashlights/torches.

A positive nipple is an option that can be added by cell distributors often, along with an added protection circuit, as well. Hopefully, these features can be done properly, although it would appear that Soshine has had a bit of trouble with this process.

I will say that I do not own any Li-Ion powered lights that require cells with a positive nipple. A few times I have had to remove the nipple so the cell(s) will fit into a light, due to the extra length added by this option. I view the need for a positive nipple on Li-Ion cells as a design flaw in the light, not the cell.

Dave

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, space-cowboy!:thumbsup:

I agree to some extent, but I'm not sure which is worse, potentially misleading advertising, or a "U.S. based company" that appears to be nothing more than yet another "storefront" based in the U.S. which specializes in the distribution of imported Chinese goods. There's really nothing wrong with that, providing it is made clear to the customer where these products actually originate from. It may actually be a good thing, as far as customer service etc.
Orbtronic never claimed that the cells or charger were made in the USA that was just what somebody posted on Amazon in his review. I read that & ran with it without doing any of my own research. What's most important to me is whether or not Orbtronic will stand behind these cells - As long as the batteries are good quality I couldn't care less where they came from.

Looking over Orbtronic's various offerings, I really didn't see anything that did not appear to be imported from China. Many of their products are similar to DX's and other Asian vendors, such as many UltraFire products.

This may be a good thing. Tenergy for example, another U.S. based storefront for a Chinese company, has some fairly decent products, although they have some that fall quite short, as well.

I don't recall any stellar performance reports from anyone testing Soshine cells. I'd say "fair" would be a better description. Distributors such as the various xxxxxFire brands sometimes use Sanyo cells, as well. The question is, where do they obtain these cells from? Most are "second tier" cells bought up as surplus. That doesn't mean they are necessarily bad, but often are not top quality due to age, the specific reason they were rejected for battery pack production, and so on. The "best" cells, for the most part, go into battery packs and are not sold off as surplus.

I'll just have to disagree here. The fundamental quality of a Li-Ion charger, is that it properly charge cells. To my knowledge, none of the Soshine chargers do so. Also, for those that insist on buying a faulty charger, there are many other options that are cheaper. Considering this, in my opinion, all of Soshine's Li-Ion chargers are overpriced.
What should I be looking for? You are basically saying that the SoShine charger sucks but you aren't giving any details. Does it not shut off when the cells are charged? does it undercharge?Overcharge? I'm almost definitely going to get the Pila charge but I'd like to know what kiind of problems to expect from this one while I have it.
As for the cost of cells, top tier cells cost more than second tier cells. This is usually reflected in the distributor's pricing of their cells.

Also, Li-Ion cells are not manufactured to be used individually by consumers. They are manufactured for the making of battery packs for use in consumer devices such as laptop computers, and are not intended to be used in devices such as flashlights/torches.

A positive nipple is an option that can be added by cell distributors often, along with an added protection circuit, as well. Hopefully, these features can be done properly, although it would appear that Soshine has had a bit of trouble with this process.
I pushed on the nipples of both of my SoShine (Orbtronic) batteries and neither one moved at all. That post is from 2009...Hopefully they have improved since then.
So the new Soshine 2800mA protected cell has gone through the tests.
18650Shootout03A.jpg

18650Shootout1A.jpg

18650Shootout25A.jpg

18650Shootout35A.jpg

18650Shootout5A.jpg

I will say that I do not own any Li-Ion powered lights that require cells with a positive nipple. A few times I have had to remove the nipple so the cell(s) will fit into a light, due to the extra length added by this option. I view the need for a positive nipple on Li-Ion cells as a design flaw in the light, not the cell.

Dave

Bat

Newly Enlightened
Misleading advertising at the very minimum, already a falsified advertising in some countries.

Someone from Orbtronic here should take note about it. :rolleyes:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
A positive nipple is an option that can be added by cell distributors often

I read space-cowboy's post and thought 'design flaw' no that isn't accurate - a lack of a positive nipple on the 2600mAh cells is a 'design limitation', there is nothing 'flawed' about it.
Because of this limitation I'm using my AW 2200mAh cells in my Jetbeam Jet-IIIM and using my AW 2600mAh cells in my Olight M20, Zebralight H60w and a couple of other lights that work fine with a cell that doesn't have a positive nipple. It seems that one out of my 5 18650 lights needs the positive nipple and the other 4 don't.

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened
I've got a a few of the soshine 2800mah cells. In my test they give around 2400mah. I got these batteries as 'new' but I have a feeling that the battery inside may be a little old. After charging up, they drop to 4.12-4.13V when rested for a little while. That is a significant drop from 4.19-4.20V

HKJ

Flashaholic
I've got a a few of the soshine 2800mah cells. In my test they give around 2400mah. I got these batteries as 'new' but I have a feeling that the battery inside may be a little old. After charging up, they drop to 4.12-4.13V when rested for a little while. That is a significant drop from 4.19-4.20V

That matches with my capacity curves in post #3.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the market for some more 18650 cells, but after carefully considering these Soshine cells I've taken them off my list. The performance doesn't seem to be where I want it for the price of these cells - I can get better cells for less money. I'm not overly happy about the dishonesty - from the graphs these are clearly NOT 2800mAh cells, even at 0.3A they are only 2400mAh cells.

It seems to me that I get better value for money from AW - his cells are pretty much around the capacity that he claims and I feel that they are higher quality. The Soshine cells are available from Orbtronic for $24/pr, the AW 2200mAh cells are the same price ($12ea) and have close to the actual capacity and I suspect better quality. For more capacity the AW 2600mAh cells aren't all that much dearer ($14.75ea).

When I look at the Trustfire cells in the graphs I see some close performance - but they cost less than half as much. I think that if I'm buying on price I'll get some Trustfire cells and if I'm buying on quality & performance then I'll go with AW or Redilast.

I have no real opinion on the charger in the OP, except that I prefer my iCharger & Turnigy hobby chargers.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
What should I be looking for? You are basically saying that the SoShine charger sucks but you aren't giving any details. Does it not shut off when the cells are charged? does it undercharge?Overcharge?

Hi bull. I didn't exactly say the Soshine charger "sucked", only that it charges Li-Ion cells improperly.

The best way to determine if a Li-Ion charger is charging cells the way Li-Ion cell manufacturers recommend, is to know yourself how Li-Ion cells should be charged. A good place to learn the basics of charging Li-Ion cells is Battery University. Without going into great detail, this site explains the basics of charging, discharging, and using not only Li-Ion cells, but many of the other commonly used rechargeable cell chemistries.

If you look around the Forum you will find several references to the Soshine chargers, and in some cases, why they are not considered proper chargers. For starters you might take a look at mdocod's "Consumer Li-Ion "cradle" charger roundup" thread. At least one of the Soshine chargers is covered there, and they all seem to pretty much use the same charging method.

Also, if you read through the entire thread, there is much discussion about what is wrong with almost all of the "consumer type" chargers available today. My, as well as other's opinions on this, are well documented on this Forum in many other threads. I don't think I need to, or should, repeat it here in this thread, as we are going way off topic at this point.

Dave

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened
They're Chinese cells. I just looked more closely at on of them and it says on the wrapper "made in China".

Don't listen to all these negative talks, the wrappers are made in China but the cells are made in the US then wrapped in China then sent back ! :)

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
just by the same stuff from DX for less.

Orbtronic is just another middleman doubling prices. Ok I guess if you want something quicker than DX or similar site.

Oh and the post about DX sending fake refund notices is true. You need to open a complaint with paypal after requesting refund from DX to get refund promptly.

As for the Soshine batteries, they are ok for the price (got them for ~$12/pair). They are longer than the usual XXXXfire brands so work better in my L2P lights.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Hi bull. I didn't exactly say the Soshine charger "sucked", only that it charges Li-Ion cells improperly.

The best way to determine if a Li-Ion charger is charging cells the way Li-Ion cell manufacturers recommend, is to know yourself how Li-Ion cells should be charged. A good place to learn the basics of charging Li-Ion cells is Battery University. Without going into great detail, this site explains the basics of charging, discharging, and using not only Li-Ion cells, but many of the other commonly used rechargeable cell chemistries.

If you look around the Forum you will find several references to the Soshine chargers, and in some cases, why they are not considered proper chargers. For starters you might take a look at mdocod's "Consumer Li-Ion "cradle" charger roundup" thread. At least one of the Soshine chargers is covered there, and they all seem to pretty much use the same charging method.

Also, if you read through the entire thread, there is much discussion about what is wrong with almost all of the "consumer type" chargers available today. My, as well as other's opinions on this, are well documented on this Forum in many other threads. I don't think I need to, or should, repeat it here in this thread, as we are going way off topic at this point.

Dave

After reading some of the post in your link I stand by my statement. If a charger doesn't charge cells properly then that charger sucks. 18650's cost too much money t have them ruined or damaged in any way by a charger. If I continue using 18650's I will definitely begetting the pila charger.

Bat

Newly Enlightened
just by the same stuff from DX for less.

Orbtronic is just another middleman doubling prices. Ok I guess if you want something quicker than DX or similar site.

Oh and the post about DX sending fake refund notices is true. You need to open a complaint with paypal after requesting refund from DX to get refund promptly.

As for the Soshine batteries, they are ok for the price (got them for ~$12/pair). They are longer than the usual XXXXfire brands so work better in my L2P lights.

Thank you for speaking out the truth. I was so furious to receive that fake refund and immediately escalate it to paypal claim & won. :scowl:

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
I am glad that this thread is getting some attention. Trying to prove that certain product is very bad without actually owning that very same product is quite misleading.
In a short run it may work, but in a long run customer will decide, and that part will be quite easy.
I do understand that many of posters are lobbing (some of them are working) for various battery suppliers/sellers.
Posting a link that is 2 or 3 years old, or link to charger (wrong + more than 2 years old product review) that has nothing to do with chargers sold by Orbtronic is extremely deceptive.
Again, not having ANY experience with the charger/batteries that are in the title of this thread, and talking bad about them is nonsense.

AW batteries are good, but at whooping 35 USD for pair (2900mAh) that delivers about 2600mAh (that graph some people wouldn't like average customer to see).

For customers who own Soshine batteries from DX (DealExtreme) unlike some posters above I cannot comment because I do not have them.

Also it will be very useful to hear where one of the posters did buy pair of 2800mAh Soshine batteries for 12 USD (it is impossible)?

And if it is true - I would buy bunch of them (but not from DX).

Honest customers will decide based on many factors including PRICE / PERFORMANCE ratio.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Posting a link that is 2 or 3 years old, or link to charger (wrong + more than 2 years old product review) that has nothing to do with chargers sold by Orbtronic is extremely deceptive.

The links shows that Soshine did not follow the rules at that time, maybe they are better now.
One way to "prove" how a charger works, is to send one to a technical reviewer.

Last edited:

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
The links shows that Soshine did not follow the rules at that time, maybe they are better now.
One way to "prove" how a charger works, is to send one to a technical reviewer.

You've missed the point. In this thread we are talking about 2 channel charger with a clear picture in the first post.
Charger in that more than 2 years old review has nothing to do with this product/thread (completely different model).
Just for your info charger that is reviewed 2 years ago is el. redesigned, and now there is a new Ver. 2 Four channel charger.

Problem is more of ethical nature. IMO nobody can talk bad of this product without having ANY experience with that same product.

That is all I am trying to say.