Orbtronic 18650 batteries and charger

snakyjake

Enlightened
If it could charge both RCR123 & 18650, and receive a good review...I'd buy. The Pila is too expensive.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it could charge both RCR123 & 18650, and receive a good review...I'd buy. The Pila is too expensive.

You just described the 4Sevens single bay charger V2! ;)
Can do all the common sizes including the 2 you mentioned: check.
Uses CC/CV method: check.
Cheaper than Pila: check.
Received good reviews: for Version 2... check.
Edit, but of course... Only one bay.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

A bit OT, I kinda know where you're coming from snaky, but I've asked this before. Why do people spend $20-$50 for a decent charger to charge their NiMh cells, that cost $2-$3 a piece, and then expect to pay only $5-$10 for a charger to charge their Li-Ion cells, that cost them $5-$20 each? I can't figure out the logic in that reasoning.:shrug:

Dave

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit OT, I kinda know where you're coming from snaky, but I've asked this before. Why do people spend $20-$50 for a decent charger to charge their NiMh cells, that cost $2-$3 a piece, and then expect to pay only $5-$10 for a charger to charge their Li-Ion cells, that cost them $5-$20 each? I can't figure out the logic in that reasoning.:shrug:

Dave

I recommend that people buy a $40 hobby charger that can charge almost anything. :)

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally agree with jason. You can get a hobby charger (that probably does 10x as much) for less than half the price of the Pila.

I know a lot of people that I just wouldn't recommend a hobby charger to, they would just get confused. Because of their lack of understanding of hobby chargers I also won't recommend Li-ion batteries to them either. I generally put them on to Eneloops.

For myself - I have just ordered a new charger for $127 + shipping. It is another iCharger - a 208B to go with my current 106B+. I don't know what I'll do with my Turnigy 8150, which is still a good charger that works well (and is the older model that came with a thermal probe & USB port) but I just prefer the way my iCharger works with its better features and better UI. I like to use 2 hobby chargers because I have a lot of Li-ion cells to charge at times and 2 chargers can get the job done in half the time. My new 208B will take over the job of charging my 8 x 18650 IMR cells for my 212W photon cannon, after ~10 minutes of run time it is ready for another recharge.

At a cheaper price even the Turnigy 6 (I used to have one of those too) beats a cradle charger like the Pila for features & versatility. For me a Hobby charger is essential - I need to be able to charge my 10440 cells and my 32650 cells and a bunch in between. I also need to be able to charge my LiFePO4 cells as well as my LiCo & LiMn cells. The Pila just doesn't cut the mustard for my needs.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a lot of people that I just wouldn't recommend a hobby charger to, they would just get confused. Because of their lack of understanding of hobby chargers I also won't recommend Li-ion batteries to them either. I generally put them on to Eneloops.

For myself - I have just ordered a new charger for $127 + shipping. It is another iCharger - a 208B to go with my current 106B+. I don't know what I'll do with my Turnigy 8150, which is still a good charger that works well (and is the older model that came with a thermal probe & USB port) but I just prefer the way my iCharger works with its better features and better UI. I like to use 2 hobby chargers because I have a lot of Li-ion cells to charge at times and 2 chargers can get the job done in half the time. My new 208B will take over the job of charging my 8 x 18650 IMR cells for my 212W photon cannon, after ~10 minutes of run time it is ready for another recharge.

At a cheaper price even the Turnigy 6 (I used to have one of those too) beats a cradle charger like the Pila for features & versatility. For me a Hobby charger is essential - I need to be able to charge my 10440 cells and my 32650 cells and a bunch in between. I also need to be able to charge my LiFePO4 cells as well as my LiCo & LiMn cells. The Pila just doesn't cut the mustard for my needs.

Maybe we can talk about the future of that Turnigy 8150 ;)
PM me if you want.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Bullinchinashop, good manufacturer learns from mistakes (and admits that something went wrong). Your Ford story is excellent example.

45/70 Your friend wanted a car for 4000 USD that runs like a corvette :shakehead

Performance that he gets out of that car is exactly what he paid for.
Lesson learned-Yugo or Geo/metro couldn't adapt and they are out of this market.
Simple as that.

Good examples about manufacturers who are able to change, and manuf. not able to adjust.

Same with any other product.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Just because their chargers were bad a few years ago that doesn't mean that they haven't improved since then.

DasFriek

Newly Enlightened
Im actually surprised at the fair shake these cells are getting considering what we all know they are. I learned my first lesson fast as my first Li-Ion cell purchase was 4 Trustfire Flame 2400mAh unprotected cells off Ebay and after removing the labels each one turned out to be recycled and salvaged cells still showing old solder under the caps and not a single one matched other cells in the batch as each cell was marked differently.

I have since bought a set of protected TF Flame cells from DX that were very well made cells. But over all most Chinese made cells aren't worth half what they cost.
Not only do i mean they don't reach the rated capacity, But they die early deaths and wont take a charge alot faster than a well made cell. Also i should mention the TF Flame 14500 with a faulty protection circuit i had to remove just to salvage the cell.

There are also very few chargers that use the correct algorithm's especially under $20, But they will charge a cell but i wouldn't expect that cell to last long while being charged on these types of chargers. I have a Trustfire TR-001 which works well in charging a cell, But its what i don't see while its charging that is bad and detrimental to the cells overall lifespan.

DX is a mixed bag imo, Ive had one good order from them despite it taking 8 days to ship. The next two i placed together and waited 9 days to ship and said forget it and canceled them and i had two refunds on paypal within 15 minutes with no issues what so ever. But i just placed another order from them but its not important items so i can wait on them and i dont care if it takes 2 weeks to ship.

Yes i could get by with Ultrafire cells and a TR-001 charger bought from DX, But it would take a long time to get it shipped and in my hands and the cells would be so over rated that i could buy high end cells at 2400mAH at the same price and know they wont die at any time. And besides worrying about the cells dieing to lack of quality craftsmanship id be wondering how long the charger will start taking its toll on the cells with its bad charging algorithms.

Id much rather spend a few dollars more and buy a decent charger which are out there that are lower priced than Pila chargers. Ive also bought Panasonic 2400 unprotected cells 10 for $23 that are true work horses. Japanese made HiMax 2600mAh cells can be had 6 for $37 shipped that are protected, And even Panasonic 2900mAh unprotected cells with true ratings 2 for $20 shipped and made in Japan also.

So to summarize buy what you want as long as its safe. But you get what you pay for and most times with Chinese cells you get ALOT less than what you pay for.
Buy quality chargers to make sure your cells live a long life, And keep your eyes out for good deals on cells that pop up fast and disappear even faster never to be seen again. Ive been threw this learning process myself and didn't like wasting my money when i had to recycle 4 cells that cost $10 each that were total fake junk.

Im very budget minded in my purchases, But that doesn't mean i wont pay more for a quality product as in the long run you do save money. You just need to be picky and keep an eye out for deals and do your homework. I don't look down on people who buy Shoshine or Ultrafire products, But i do wonder why they don't buy a higher quality product that puts out the same capacity that is stated correctly and not over rated with questionable quality when they cost the same amount.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 16x Grey Trustfire 2400 unprotected cells (for me protected cells are more hassles than they are worth) from DX that cost $3.30 each. Sure they are not 2400mAH, but they average 1850-1900mAH and are always charged at the full 1C rate with no bad cells. However, you will not know that unless you have a charger that can test/analyze the cells and correctly charge/discharge/cycle them, unattended. IOW, what you need is a hobby charger with an LCD display (and preferably a USB port for data logging on a computer). For less than half the price of a PILA IBC (<$20), you can get one that does all this:

Microprocessor controlled with LCD
Automatic charging current limit
Capacity limit
Temperature threshold
Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
Individual cell balancing
Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
Ni-Cd, NiMH and Lead-Acid capable
Large range of charge currents
Store function, allows safe storage current
Time limit function
Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
Data storage

Input Voltage: 11~18v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 16x Grey Trustfire 2400 unprotected cells (for me protected cells are more hassles than they are worth) from DX that cost $3.30 each. Sure they are not 2400mAH, but they average 1850-1900mAH and are always charged at the full 1C rate with no bad cells.

I recently bought 4 unprotected cells and am considering 4 more, but I decided against the grey Trustfire 2400 cells - I'm suspicious of the claimed 2400 but actual <2000 because these are likely to be recycled or reject cells. I went with some blue Trustfire 2500 cells as the user reports suggest that they are quite good.

Ive also bought Panasonic 2400 unprotected cells 10 for $23 that are true work horses. Japanese made HiMax 2600mAh cells can be had 6 for $37 shipped that are protected, And even Panasonic 2900mAh unprotected cells with true ratings 2 for $20 shipped and made in Japan also.

Oooh, suddenly I am very interested in new cells and would like to know more about where you get these good deal from.

borrower

Enlightened
About testing/ review:

That wouldn't be a problem at all (two different models if needed).

As soon as I see Pila charger honest test results from the same reviewer open for public.

So, space-cowboy, are you saying you aren't going to make provisions for a charger to be tested, since nobody has volunteered their Pila?

Verndog

Enlightened
I'm considering going with an 18650 Sunwayman C20C and how the batteries perform is key for me before I add any new cells. I'm having troubles figuring out what is being said about this battery. Why are they posting tests from a Soshine cell when the original post is about Panasonic industrial cells? Are these cells made by Orbotronics really not Panasonic cells?

Very interested in these batteries and if they are legit…please help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062ANS7O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering going with an 18650 Sunwayman C20C and how the batteries perform is key for me before I add any new cells. I'm having troubles figuring out what is being said about this battery. Why are they posting tests from a Soshine cell when the original post is about Panasonic industrial cells? Are these cells made by Orbotronics really not Panasonic cells?

Very interested in these batteries and if they are legit…please help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062ANS7O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Those Orbtronic 18650 cells are one of the best on the market right now.

Test, and review is easy to find here on CPF (test performed by well know member of this community HKJ)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...est-Review-of-Orbtronic-18650-3100mAh-(Black)

Verndog

Enlightened
Those Orbtronic 18650 cells are one of the best on the market right now.

Test, and review is easy to find here on CPF (test performed by well know member of this community HKJ)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...est-Review-of-Orbtronic-18650-3100mAh-(Black)

Thank you very much for the fast response!. I know quite a bit about batteries from years of RC racing and have several high end chargers that I'll use (but new to 18650 config) Panasonic is generally a trusted name so I was quite confused about the side track this thread took on the Soshine cells and the datasheet to it. Confusing information here.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-and-charger&p=3699418&viewfull=1#post3699418

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
No problem,

If you look closely you will see that thread is more than 1 year old, and it was about Soshine, not Orbtronic brand batteries.

At that time Soshine were using Sanyo 2600Mah cells (still very reputable cell among flashlight users).

But that was long time ago.

Advice:

You can always search CPF forum for "Orbtronic 3100mAh" or something like that, and you will see posts about that particular product/brand.

Verndog

Enlightened
No problem,
If you look closely you will see that thread is more than 1 year old, and it was about Soshine, not Orbtronic brand batteries.

I read the very first post, and it says Orbtronics battery, clicked on the link and it takes me to their Panasonic protected cell...weird???

I just got this today
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AWE2L2/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The batteries are button top and are supposedly made in the USA. They are protected and are rated at 2800 mAh.

The charger comes with a home and car charger and the batteries come with a storage case.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91xOygoErZL._AA1500_.jpg

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
I would look at the pictures, and description of that particular product.

Last year Orbtronic were selling other brands (like Soshine batteries) until quality, and power was "discovered".

Now Orbtronic is selling its own brand with Panasonic 3100, and 3400mAh cells inside.

Latest posts