Orbtronic 18650 batteries and charger

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad that this thread is getting some attention. Trying to prove that certain product is very bad without actually owning that very same product is quite misleading.

Trying to prove that a certain product is good, is also bad without posting any data / test results.

You've missed the point. In this thread we are talking about 2 channel charger with a clear picture in the first post.
Charger in that more than 2 years old review has nothing to do with this product/thread (completely different model).
Just for your info charger that is reviewed 2 years ago is el. redesigned, and now there is a new Ver. 2 Four channel charger.

Problem is more of ethical nature. IMO nobody can talk bad of this product without having ANY experience with that same product.

That is all I am trying to say.

Does the charger follow the CC/CV charge method? 98% of chargers out there do not... I think most people talk bad about unknown chargers, because lets be honest, 98% of them on the market are bad.

The links shows that Soshine did not follow the rules at that time, maybe they are better now.
One way to "prove" how a charger works, is to send one to a technical reviewer.

Agreed.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Problem is more of ethical nature. IMO nobody can talk bad of this product without having ANY experience with that same product.

That is only partial correct. If the company in the past has been known for bad products, there is a significant risk that a new products might also be a bad product (But it could also be a good product).
The way to "prove" one or the other is usual independent test.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad that this thread is getting some attention.

This does seem to be the general purpose of your posts here on CPF.

I do understand that many of posters are lobbing (some of them are working) for various battery suppliers/sellers.
This seems a bit presumptuous, to me. Having been here a bit longer than yourself, I can say with reasonable certainty, that no poster in this thread is affiliated with, or working for any of the vendors or manufacturers mentioned in this thread, save maybe one, and that would be yourself. While you may, or may not be affiliated with Orbtronic, I have no idea, it is a bit odd that you appear out of nowhere sounding like a sales representative, along with the associated "pie in the sky" hype that goes along with such positions. Also, I see nothing wrong with members "lobbying" for superior products. This may disappoint some manufacturers and vendors, but this is a flashlight forum.

Posting a link that is 2 or 3 years old, or link to charger (wrong + more than 2 years old product review) that has nothing to do with chargers sold by Orbtronic is extremely deceptive.
There are other threads pertaining to Soshine chargers as well as Li-Ion cells, and the general consensus is, as I said before, these products are "fair", if not a bit overpriced. Some of the other product associations, such as the Orbtronics-UltraFire alliance, I find a bit more alarming.

Again, not having ANY experience with the charger/batteries that are in the title of this thread, and talking bad about them is nonsense.
This is true to some extent, however many here on the forum are familiar with similar products from these distributors and vendors and have formed a general opinion about their product lines. And no, I do not think the general membership considers these opinions to be "nonsense", sorry.

AW batteries are good, but at whooping 35 USD for pair (2900mAh) that delivers about 2600mAh (that graph some people wouldn't like average customer to see).
I think your numbers may be bit off here, but you previously responded with......

Honest customers will decide based on many factors including PRICE / PERFORMANCE ratio.
.....I'll go along with that. I'm not sure what you are trying to insinuate by stating "Honest customers", however. Also, in many cases AW's cells have been proven to outlast many competitors cells. This, in many cases, offsets the initial cost so that his cells end up actually being cheaper, in the long run.

Charger in that more than 2 years old review has nothing to do with this product/thread (completely different model).
Yes, but "Soshine" is clearly printed on the charger. Again, from member's past experiences with the Soshine line, many are not going to expect any miracles. I, as much as anyone else, would like to see more than one, or two chargers available out of the dozens presently being marketed, that actually are capable of properly charging Li-Ion cells.

You make a good point here, but once more, the past history of these products speaks for itself. And as far as ethics go, why did Soshine supply improper chargers for so many years? Mind you, so did most of the other distributors (almost all still do).

I think if they actually have come up with a proper charger line, that's great. And, as HKJ pointed out,

One way to "prove" how a charger works, is to send one to a technical reviewer.

If several samples of these chargers were sent to reviewers with the necessary equipment to verify, if indeed, these chargers actually follow the recommended charging algorithm, then and only then, will we have a definitive answer.

Dave

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote that space-cowboy, appearing to be some kind of staff representative of "Orbtronic" (new member, leapt immediately to the defense of Orbtronic), send a sample of this charger to HKJ for analysis and review (if and when he has time to do so). If it is a good charger, and follows the correct CC/CV method, then the results will be available here for all to see. And if it doesn't, well same story. Transparency is good.

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW batteries are good, but at whooping 35 USD for pair (2900mAh) that delivers about 2600mAh (that graph some people wouldn't like average customer to see).

I have seen graphs from the AW 2900mAh cells which show they are capable of putting out 2850mAh of capacity. The best the Soshine 2800mAh cells seem to put out is 2450mAh (at 0.2A). Someone that joined CPF to post a defence of Soshine claiming that AW cells don't meet their claimed capacity? That seems a bit rich to me!

http://lygte-info.dk/info/Batteries18650-2011 UK.html
The Redilast cells do even better than the AW cells - I'm not too sure why since they both use the Panasonic 2900mAh cells.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
I am glad that this thread is getting some attention. Trying to prove that certain product is very bad without actually owning that very same product is quite misleading.
In a short run it may work, but in a long run customer will decide, and that part will be quite easy.
I do understand that many of posters are lobbing (some of them are working) for various battery suppliers/sellers.
Posting a link that is 2 or 3 years old, or link to charger (wrong + more than 2 years old product review) that has nothing to do with chargers sold by Orbtronic is extremely deceptive.
Again, not having ANY experience with the charger/batteries that are in the title of this thread, and talking bad about them is nonsense.

For customers who own Soshine batteries from DX (DealExtreme) unlike some posters above I cannot comment because I do not have them.

Also it will be very useful to hear where one of the posters did buy pair of 2800mAh Soshine batteries for 12 USD (it is impossible)?

And if it is true - I would buy bunch of them (but not from DX).

Honest customers will decide based on many factors including PRICE / PERFORMANCE ratio.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AWE2L2/?tag=cpf0b6-20
I paid $40 (plus $7 for shipping) for the charger and two batteries. I purchased from Orbtronic with Amazon acting as the go-between.
http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-...-2800mah-protected-lithium-ion-batteries.html
Amazon is showing the combo as unavailable right now but it's still available from orbtronic for $38
http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-...-2800mah-protected-lithium-ion-batteries.html
Two batteries only $22
http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-...on-battery-2800mah-soshine-two-batteries.html

Last edited:

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
That is only partial correct. If the company in the past has been known for bad products, there is a significant risk that a new products might also be a bad product (But it could also be a good product).
The way to "prove" one or the other is usual independent test.
Years ago I had a Ford Contour. The car had electrical gremlins like crazy. I had to change the fuse for the head lights twice because it kept blowing. The head lights blew once. The fog lights blew three times. The fuse for the engine blew at least three times and to top it all off the driver's side air bag fell out of the steering wheel. Does that mean that all Ford are crap now?
Remember that Firestone tires that kept kept exploding? Does that mean that all Firestone tires are garbage now? Some companies do change...
Sometimes execrable products are the result of idiots being in charge of a company or department. Get rid of the head idiot and things improve.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah bull, I had a friend with a car like that. I can't even remember how many things went awry with that car. It was an '87 Yugo.:)

Dave

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Bullinchinashop, good manufacturer learns from mistakes (and admits that something went wrong). Your Ford story is excellent example.

45/70 Your friend wanted a car for 4000 USD that runs like a corvette :shakehead

Performance that he gets out of that car is exactly what he paid for.
Lesson learned-Yugo or Geo/metro couldn't adapt and they are out of this market.
Simple as that.

Good examples about manufacturers who are able to change, and manuf. not able to adjust.

Same with any other product.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was trying to wait until I had ordered the Pila. If I send him this one all I'll have left is the even crappier one that came wit the batteries

Oh, no I didn't mean you, I meant space-cowboy, because he's coming across strongly like he is from the company "Orbtronic". And hasn't denied it...
If the charger is that good, I'd like to see the company stand behind it by being willing to transparently send a production unit to a third party for in depth evaluation, with no rules about making the results publicly viewable -- whatever they may be.

Edit: on the Orbtronic website, it says about this charger: "Highest quiality you can find in USA today." (sic) Doesn't that tell you something? ;)

Last edited:

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Oh, no I didn't mean you, I meant space-cowboy, because he's coming across strongly like he is from the company "Orbtronic". And hasn't denied it...
If the charger is that good, I'd like to see the company stand behind it by being willing to transparently send a production unit to a third party for in depth evaluation, with no rules about making the results publicly viewable -- whatever they may be.

This is the part of the forum where no company/individual suppose to advertise- correct me if I am wrong?

About testing/ review:

That wouldn't be a problem at all (two different models if needed).

As soon as I see Pila charger honest test results from the same reviewer open for public.

12 months warranty is telling you something about standing behind quality of this product - I hope so.

HKJ

Flashaholic
About testing/ review:

As soon as I see Pila charger honest test results from the same reviewer open for public.

Somebody mentioned my name in connection with reviewing. As can be seen on my website I have done technical reviews of some chargers, but not the Pila. The reason for that is nobody has sent me one and I believe that it is too expensive to buy one just for reviewing (Personally I would like to see how it works and if it really is as good as "rumors" say).
Anyway it is not the Pila charger that is new and "unproven", it is accepted as a good charger and it looks like it sells well.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the part of the forum where no company/individual suppose to advertise- correct me if I am wrong?

About testing/ review:

12 months warranty is telling you something about standing behind quality of this product - I hope so.

Just to clarify; I have no problem with Orbtronic products, having had no experience with them (yet).
I haven't spoken negatively about the products, but I also can't speak positively about them either.
I personally have no problem with a company person coming on here to back up and support his product.
Examples that come to mind are George from Zebralight and William from Maha and also David and others from 4Sevens.
They have been very up front about who they are and whom they represent. That doesn't mean advertising.
I think it's good that the products have a 12 Month warranty. I agree that shows that the company is prepared to stand behind the products, as long as the warranty is honoured.

The quality and charging method of the Pila is not in question here.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?201323-Pila-IBC-Charger-Compendium
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-14500-16340&p=3408029&viewfull=1#post3408029
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Ion-Charger.&p=3304445&viewfull=1#post3304445
The charge curve charts in those second two posts are what I'm trying to link to.

But I am a consumer, and possibly a future buyer:
I just feel that if I were to buy another Li-ion charger or more 18650 cells, I would be influenced positively towards buying them if I saw that people who are not linked to the company and who really know what they are talking about had tested them, using scientific methods, such as showing discharge curves with mAh in the case of cells, or charge curves showing mA and Volts over time in the case of chargers.
For instance, I bought the 4Sevens Li-ion charger, because I have seen tests in which it was proven to use the CC/CV method. Is it perfect?
No. But, it uses the right charging method, and is affordable, and I trust the company.
Also, when I have a good experience with a product and a company, I speak about it to others, and recommend it to others. And Vice versa.

It was probably a bit out of line for me to put forward a suggestion of anyone in particular to do the testing, that would be between them and the person who sends them the item to be tested.

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was probably a bit out of line for me to put forward a suggestion of anyone in particular to do the testing, that would be between them and the person who sends them the item to be tested.

I'm not going to volunteer anybody's services either, but there are several other members here that have already tested/reviewed the Pila IBC charger. This is a pretty well documented Li-Ion charger that has been around for quite a while. I certainly would not have any objection if HKJ did a review, he has some of the most detailed data rich reviews here on the Forum. At the same time, I don't think it would hurt a bit to have more than one reviewer either, as in the case of the Pila.

45/70 Your friend wanted a car for 4000 USD that runs like a corvette :shakehead

Performance that he gets out of that car is exactly what he paid for.

No, not actually. He bought it new and simply wanted a car to go to work and run errands etc. And just because his had many problems, doesn't mean other Yugos did. Of course, most of them did, and that was my point.

And by the way, I was the one with the Corvette, a '73 coupe, from 1986-2004.:)

Dave

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Just to clarify; I have no problem with Orbtronic products, having had no experience with them (yet).
I haven't spoken negatively about the products, but I also can't speak positively about them either.
I personally have no problem with a company person coming on here to back up and support his product.
Examples that come to mind are George from Zebralight and William from Maha and also David and others from 4Sevens.
They have been very up front about who they are and whom they represent. That doesn't mean advertising.
I think it's good that the products have a 12 Month warranty. I agree that shows that the company is prepared to stand behind the products, as long as the warranty is honoured.

The quality and charging method of the Pila is not in question here.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?201323-Pila-IBC-Charger-Compendium
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-14500-16340&p=3408029&viewfull=1#post3408029
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Ion-Charger.&p=3304445&viewfull=1#post3304445
The charge curve charts in those second two posts are what I'm trying to link to.

But I am a consumer, and possibly a future buyer:
I just feel that if I were to buy another Li-ion charger or more 18650 cells, I would be influenced positively towards buying them if I saw that people who are not linked to the company and who really know what they are talking about had tested them, using scientific methods, such as showing discharge curves with mAh in the case of cells, or charge curves showing mA and Volts over time in the case of chargers.
For instance, I bought the 4Sevens Li-ion charger, because I have seen tests in which it was proven to use the CC/CV method. Is it perfect?
No. But, it uses the right charging method, and is affordable, and I trust the company.
Also, when I have a good experience with a product and a company, I speak about it to others, and recommend it to others. And Vice versa.

Don't forget Wayne from Elektrolumens.

RCantor

Enlightened
Space Cowboy, what these guys are telling you is that if the unit gets a good review for its charging methods you're gonna sell a whole lot of them. I say go for it! The positive reviews of 4 7's charger probably increased sales volume 10x what it would have sold otherwise. If you made a charger that could hold 32650s - 16340s and got good reviews for your charging methods you'd be the only one in the market. Make it 4 independant channels and you could retire. :)