Osram Halostar IRC lamps NOW in a HOST w/beamshots

Seth

Newly Enlightened
Re: Osram Halostar IRC lamps

andrewwynn said:
found what seems to be a very decent source for the lamps, i can't read german so maybe somebody that can can browse the site and see if they actually have them in-stock.. trying to browse with babelfish gets tricky.

here is the direct link to the three lamps

-awr

awr,

I just mailed them for their prices incl. shipping to the US.

I guess the answer will not be a pleasant one, they charge 6,50EUR for s&h inside germany and a whopping 25EUR to other european countries....

I´ll keep you informed

Seth

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks, Seth, that was quick!.. i'm not afraid of a $25 fee.. but if it's $50+ that's getting ridiculous.. we might have to find somebody inside germany to buy a batch and do a 'group buy' or something. If i can get the lamps in-hand for under $8-10 in quantity that would be harsh, but workable... $5 would be better of course :-D.

-awr

Seth

Newly Enlightened

andrewwynn said:
thanks, Seth, that was quick!.. i'm not afraid of a $25 fee.. but if it's $50+ that's getting ridiculous.. we might have to find somebody inside germany to buy a batch and do a 'group buy' or something. If i can get the lamps in-hand for under $8-10 in quantity that would be harsh, but workable... $5 would be better of course :-D.

-awr
Hello awr,

just got the reply from online-elektroshop.de

He asked me if he can ignore a similar request in english from Mr. Andrew R., I guess that´s you... Basically he said he learned english 20yrs back in school and forgot most of it :)

He can ship to the U.S., he´s asking 32 EUR for this ( that´s about 40 $ ) which is simply the price our local post office ( DHL ) asks for.

Two problems arise:

1. Customs

2. Webshop can only deal with EU-located payments. No paypal, no CC :ohgeez:

So, if you ask me, I´d say the most convenient way is to find someone inside germany or the EU who is willing to forward those bulbs to the U.S.

Unfortunately, I can´t help you with a group-buy or similar.

Being unemployed, my pockets aren´t deep enough :)

Maybe some other of our german or EU members can help?

Seth

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Andrew, give SOS Lighting a call, 800-927-1098 and see if they can pull it off.

I've found they can seem to get stuff when all my other suppliers can't. They aren't always the cheapest, but they are competitive.

Bill

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

talked to them, they don't have easy access to them, but he's looking into it.. he said it might be possible but it would take a long time.. i said.. it'll be a month or two before i'm ready to use them in quantity, so give it a shot and email me back.

-awr

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

2 euro for the non irc, the irc is 6 euro

i will try to do a GB in italy in the future (maybe next month) if you want i can accept the order from who live in usa.

i will send all the requested bulbs in usa in only one package for save shipping, then the guy who receive the package will divide it for the variuos us countries

i find them at 4.27 euro + shipping (shipping at the end i think will be more expensive than the bulbs)

otherwise you can contact some osram big dealer in usa and try to order them in packages of 40 for each wattage. i think is possible to do

Spacemarine

Enlightened

I just got an offer for Osram IRC Decostar (these are the MR16 typed with glass reflector) 35W 38°. I could sell them for 4$ each plus shipping. I'm pretty sure that the bulbs inside the Decostar are the same as the Halostar, as both are IRC, have a spherical bulb and a filament with an inner return wire.

Shipping by registered airmail is 10$ for up to 10 pieces, each additional one is 1$ for shipping extra.

Just PM me if you need some.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice.. i have to say i'm liking these lamps more every day.. i just 'lucked out' with the fact that the base is narrower than the sphere. I had to re-ream my big reflectors to fit that big round ball.

I have to set up a host for MR16.. that sounds like a real winner. I bet that the MR16 reflectors really reflect a lot more heat out the front which would be a big problem solver.

-awr

Spacemarine

Enlightened

andrewwynn said:
I bet that the MR16 reflectors really reflect a lot more heat out the front which would be a big problem solver.

No they don't. The reflectors of the IRC Decostar are dichroic glass reflectors, they only reflect the visible light and let the IR radiation go through them. The purpose of this is to reduce the heat up at the object you are illuminationg. Sadly that's very counterproductive for us.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened

spacemarine the bulb is the same but is possible to take out the reflector? if you can find the bulb+refl for 4$ you can find the naked bulb for less?

jashhash

Enlightened

Even if the lamp is 30% more efficient it seems to me the problem is the batteries not the bulb.. We try to cram all these little batteries into one tight package inorder to get up to 18 volts and take advantage of this efficient bulb, but in the end we lose overall runtime, not at the bulb, but at the batteries. The biggest inovation in run time per size comes from the batteries being used rather than the lamp. I suppose the best compromise between size and run time could be achieved by using 5x C Li-Ions in a Mag 5C host. Assuming Andrewwynn could shrink his hotdriver to C-size.

Spacemarine

Enlightened

You could take out the lamp by destroying the reflector, however I think that this task may be very complicated if you want to leave the bulb intact.

The "naked" bulbs (called halostar) are normally cheaper than the bulbs in the reflectors (they are called decostar)

The problem is that the IRC Decostar 35W 38° are currently the only ones that I can get.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

winny: see PM i'm interested.

jash.. you made a math error in your assessment.. the energy density of the smaller cells is the same as the larger cells.. the runtime ends up longer for same power or more light for same runtime..

examples:

64625 from 11x GP2000.. 2893L

pulls about 9.56A at 12.75V.. means 1.9AH/9.56*60 = 12 hypothetical minutes.

64440 from 16x 2/3A cells.. 2977L

pulls about 5.1A at 18.5V.. and the cells though rated '1400' are more like 1200-1300.. so say 1.2AH/5.1A*60min/H.. = 14.11 hypothetical minutes..

now that is only 20% more.. but it's also using less volume (16 x 2/3 is just slightly less battery volume than 11 x 4/5A).

packing in 18 cells and using a PWM regulator.. runtime would be extended a bit. We have toyed with the idea of 5D version with LiON Ds.. runtime whoa! 50 minutes with the 50W IRC.. but we don't like that big of light.. have smaller size in mind.

I do have a design for a hotdriver that will fit right into a C-size mag.. it will be an extraordinarily easy mod to do.. basically just a 'drop in'.

Space: good to know about the heat issues.. i won't be needing any of those soon in such case.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

got my first batch of lamps in.. thanks spacemarine!

So.. now i can start some 'ballstothewalls' testing..

Last night i dialed up a hotdriver.. got some thinner wire on it for a sense resistor where i can limit the current to 7-9A.. and started firing up the lamp, going up 1V increments up from 13V up to 18V.. and it just has been working great. I had a couple melt-downs (FETs.. i am the 'FET assassin' btw.. pictures will be coming.. i have an FET 'boneyard'). Once in a while i'll have something go haywire.. like maybe a bit of capacitance holding a charge where it shouldn't be.. 'faking' some voltage that shouldn't be there.. and i'll get a current spike w/o the limiting.. (i've since resorted to hard wiring in a magnetic reed switch for 'snap acting' engagement).. and things work better.. anyhow.. without current limiting.. at 18V the IRC50 pulled over 26A at startup.. blew the SNOT out of the FET.. i think smoke actually mighta come out that time.

Right now i'm fine-tuning the startup current but with current limiting i'm confident that 18 to 19V is going to be viable.. i've put the lamp through at least 100 starts, at least a half hour total burn time.. in a bit of irony... the one time i set up things to do a 1 hr burn.. blew the FET instantly at turn on and i had to pull the plug...

With a 4,000,000 µF cap.. even when i turn things off the lamp glows quite a while.

So.. i have a bat. pack almost made.. i'll have to charge it manually on my bench supply i don't have a 16-cell charger.. 14 is the max i think i can charge.. but confidence is high to have a 3000L IRC powered torch within the next few days.

For somebody interested in a 'poor mans' version.. 15 cells would be the bomb.. i think you can get away with 15 cells direct-drive.. what a 'gimmie'.. That'd be as much lumen as the Mag625 from 11 cells at 12.5V.. but 90 vs 118W! that is just plain awesome no matter how you break it down!

The CCT appears just wonderful.. i haven't done head-to-head of course (don't have it in a light) but will do that as soon as i have the Mag444x running. My estimates are that it won't be quite as white as the ludicrous white of the 625, but they won't be NEARLY AS TWITCHY either!

In addition.. anybody that likes SMOOOTH beams will love these lamps.. with the no-shadow filaments.. it is just beautiful. I have a feeling that the lamp will REALLY be incredible in the 2" deep FM reflector.. i will have to bore out my second to try it out.

-awr

jashhash

Enlightened

M163.jpg

Wattage:35
Voltage:6
Diameter:4
Height:
Base:G53
Lamp life:3000

This IRC lamp assembly by Osram is 35 watts at 6 volts. Wonder if this would be a good light to run at 7.2 volts from 2x Li-Ions. If 36 lm/watt could be achieved at 7.2 volts then were looking at something like 1620 bulb lumens driven at 45 watts in a 2D form factor. I'm not sure if this IRC lamp assembly has the IRC bulb coating or if it uses the metal cap covering the bulb to reflect back IR heat. If these bulbs are IRC coated then Perhaps Osram might consider selling us the bare bulbs.

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

it would probably need more like 8V to look appealing.. that is if it's really IRC lamp.. it would be very interesting to see some 6V IRC lamps.. you could run them from 8.4V source (2Dwith 8xAA)..