jashhash said:
M163.jpg

Wattage:35
Voltage:6
Diameter:4
Height:
Base:G53
Lamp life:3000

This IRC lamp assembly by Osram is 35 watts at 6 volts. Wonder if this would be a good light to run at 7.2 volts from 2x Li-Ions. If 36 lm/watt could be achieved at 7.2 volts then were looking at something like 1620 bulb lumens driven at 45 watts in a 2D form factor. I'm not sure if this IRC lamp assembly has the IRC bulb coating or if it uses the metal cap covering the bulb to reflect back IR heat. If these bulbs are IRC coated then Perhaps Osram might consider selling us the bare bulbs.

There are two product ranges: Halostar 111 and Halostar 111 IRC.
The 6V assembly is without IRC. There is no 6V Lamp in the IRC range.
The IRC are all rated 4000h.
My Osram

Sorry for the bad news...

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Osram Halostar IRC lamps

still making progress.. i've beat the 50IRC a lot and it's still ticking.. the latest test.. a direct jump start with a 4F cap and 10A power supply set to 18.0V..

results.. pulls close to 40A if ice cold.. that works out to about SEVEN HUNDRED WATTS! i really am stunned they survive!

fortunately with the hotdriver that is held back to about 140W max.. but it took the deaths of about 8 FETs to dial in the proper settings.

A prototype is not that far away.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok.. first beamshots inside a host.. still being quite finicky with the right match of startup current... we managed to blow the FET after about 10 lights.. but we got some shots off first. (oh.. it is shall we say 'interesting' to remove a tailcap from a light pulling 5-7A. (at least it's lower than the 65625 at over 9!)

here's the album

First impressions running in a light..

My new favorite lamp.. so much for the 64625.

I was running the IRC 50W lamp at 18.5V regulated from 16 cells (IB1400s) in a 3D host three-bore.

We did a ceiling bounce against a 12CBP Mag138.. and it registered substantially higher.. best part.. about 30W less power!

estimated runtimes from 16 IB1400 cells.. 10 minutes 14 minutes 18 minutes (65, 50, 35W lamps).

Image-DDF12595EAF911DA.jpg

Here it is lighting up a tree 400' distant.

I had the lamp hosted in an LOP reflector.. and it is almost completely free of any artifacts. I will probably put mine in an LS reflector to smooth the spot to flood transition (the axial filament makes for a distinct circular spot we are used to seeing in the USL/Mag138 beam)..

The filament is very long so it's fairly 'floody'.. the 138 out threw in the first tests, but we didn't have them in the same reflectors.. we will do a better test when i get the driver de-bugged.

In any event.. one step farther along.. now i have the battery pack and a host for sea-trials.. The firsts few tests went very well.. i think a 'double-click' did in the driver.. it's very close to the limits of what the DPAK fet can take with the higher voltages.. still trying to find an FET that can handle some higher voltages and the insane startup peaks of these lamps.

-awr

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK.. Replaced the FET.. a bit of fine-tuning on the startup situation.. and blamo.. i have a light that seems to be happy.

It's dialed into 3000L right now.. that's with the IRC50 lamp.. i was able to start the 65W lamp on the bench w/o melting anything but i think i'll stick with the 50 for a week or two before getting too gutsy.. it is such a bummer going from working to blown flashlight!

What is instantly noticable?

1) a reasonable range of focus.. i have the lamp in a light-stipple (#5) reflector.. and the beam quality is about as good as the 625 in a heavy stipple.. you can actually dial through a really neat range of focus.. it starts with a very soft beam.. then you get a pretty solid spot.. if you keep going it softens up again but with a noticeable 'spot' where it transitions to flood.

2) definitely lower CCT than the 625.. but close to the 138.. this is most excellent for outside use where this lamp would most likely be used.. the 3D quality of 'nature' just 'jumps out at you' compared to the 625.. and a lot less 'flashback' from pollen, dust.

3) just plain STUNNING beam quality.. most people would be MORE than happy with a smooth reflector.. and LOP is as 'soft' as most would ever care to use.. only in 'beamshots' are you going to see the gain of a stippled reflector.. that said.. considering that i still get 200' of throw with the light stipple.. i won't be going smoother than that for MY purposes.. i'd rather light up the WHOLE tree at 200' than the center.

4) it takes nearly double the time to cool of compared to the 625 lamp... I'm not sure how much less heat escapes the lamp and gets into the head.. but it most certainly gets warm.. i would not make a light with this lamp w/o a finned head.

5) Output comparisons.. i have yet to do a bounce.. but they are 'on par' with each other.. the math works out to 2900L for the 625 and 3000L for the IRC 50..

6) efficiency comparison: 36.5L/W calculated for the 625.. 47L/W for the IRC50 (44440 IRC).

7) Power comparison: 122W for the 625.. 98W for the IRC50! sawweeet!

8) runtime comparison: 12 min. calculated to 1.9AH with 11xGP2000 for the 625..13.6min calculated to 1.2AH with IB1400 cells for the IRC50.. 'only' a 14% improvement.. but the GP2000s just absolutely rock!

So.. conclusions?

I will still use the 625 as a mainstay lamp.. because it works great in a 4D host with LiON.. and with the heavy-stipple it still is the nicest beam i've ever seen in any light. pure flood.. but great googa mooga quantities! I will be likely transitioning to the IRC lamps as i can figure out host solutions..

It is very likely people could get away with a direct-drive solution on 15 cells.. a 3.5D light could hold 15xGP2000.. it would be amazing and simple.. if we can get somebody to tri-bore some 4Ds after lopping off a bit on the back. you'd get 21 min. runtime! wowza!

So.. to get the 18.55V to achieve the calculated 3000L.. i used 16xIB1400 cells.. and a spacer made from a solder tube and a 14ga wire (with copper pcb end-caps).. with the PIR you'd be able to use 18 cells and get a longer runtime! (i have a very good reason to stick with 16 cells.. TBA).

The numbers are looking very promising.. as long as the 65W lamp doesn't start eating FETs like popcorn.. a 'trifecta' solution of 2165L from 71W for 18.9min... 3000L from 98W for 13.6min and are you SITTING DOWN? 4075 lumen from 126W for 10.6 minutes!

So.. just plain stunning!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some new beamshots:

Image-4283A7B1ED4911DA.jpg

Baseline reference scene

Image-42835A88ED4911DA.jpg

Osram 64625 lamp. 3sec exposure

Image-42838126ED4911DA.jpg

Osram halostar IRC 65W lamp 3 sec exposure

Image-3F0FCF22A97A11DA.jpg

Mag 85.. with 4 sec. exposure. (image from last year but gets the point across.. it's actually a longer exposure!).

Well happy news to get the 65W lamp running.. i blew a handful of FETs trying to get the settings just right. Seems i dialed in the right values now.

oops almost forgot.. the rest of the shots are here

-awr

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok it keeps getting better..

got a fairly accurate ceiling bounce...

62138 lamp @ 13.2V.. 180 lux
64625 lamp @ 12.7V.. 220 lux (22% more light)
64447 lamp @ 18.7V.. 280 lux (56% more than '138.. 27% more light than '625).

That puts the 65W IRC in the neighborhood of 3800L.. that is to quote robert denero from 'midnight run'.. "that's a nice neighborhood"!

I have to say.. after using the 35W in the light for a while.. it's a bit more 'beamy' outside.. and yet with the axial filament you can dial in a 'pure flood' for close up work.. i'm kind of liking the idea of an 18-19 minute runtime with a 'superlight'. something heretofore not available.

The estimates are on the order of 2000-2200L from the 35W lamp.. and though it's a bit on the yellow side.. i prefer the color of the 1185 or the 625.. it actually is better suited for outside.. i think i'll be making an M625 for indoor or closeup work.. especially since for the 4D light there really isn't a better option. (thought the 138 in a smo reflector is insane.. just go check out the recent beamshots.. 400' away is nothing for that lamp).

Oh.. been trying to get this picture for a while.. seriously.. don't do this at home:

hothand.jpg

I have not been able to take that shot 'til now.. can't hold hand on the lamp long enough to get the picture.. i think.. that because the IRC lamp takes longer to get to temp.. i'm able to pull it off.. but about 1.2 sec is about the max.. it really is extremely hot. I can actually illuminate THROUGH my wrist with these lights.. i can't really hold it long enough to see what i'm looking at.. looks like some veins and tendons have enough opacity to leave a shadow..weird that i couldn't really see the bones.. i think there is too much diffusion in the muscle tissue.. anyhow.. crazy bright.

-awr

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just ordered a 5D flashlight so i can make a 'long run' version of the IRC flashlight.. the runtime estimate is: 38, 50, 67 minutes.. since the driver will be over 99.5% efficient, the only heat issue will be from the lamp.. and with finning it should be able to be used continuous if walking... what a great 'walking through the woods at night' light.. 50 minutes of 2700L!

-awr

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

andrewwynn said:
I just ordered a 5D flashlight so i can make a 'long run' version of the IRC flashlight.. the runtime estimate is: 38, 50, 67 minutes.. since the driver will be over 99.5% efficient, the only heat issue will be from the lamp.. and with finning it should be able to be used continuous if walking... what a great 'walking through the woods at night' light.. 50 minutes of 2700L!

-awr

Hi Andrew

That would be a 15xAA pack ?

Cheers Pete

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

5x LiON D :-D 18V nominal.. less than the 18.7 i'm using in the 3D, but enough voltage to get the job done.. fair trade off for ludicrous runtime. I'll bring it camping, put a light stipple reflector in it and have a light that is perfect for lighting an area for extended periods or walking, even though it's pretty big, it shouldn't be too heavy.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not an exact copy... i'm using a regulator to maintain constant voltage. Although the lamp does 'take' voltages higher than 18V.. at 18.7 as tested, i've noticed 'darkening' with one run through the cells..

I most certainly got interested in the IRC lamps after DFI's thread as mentioned on the first post of this thread.

For 'super beamy' throw.. a bigger reflector is needed, but with an LOP.. the 50 or 65W lamp is good up to 130m or so.. not sure what use for 'more spot'.. it's very nice to have the flood that goes with it.

-awr

klomparens

Newly Enlightened
Where to get OSRAM IRC MR16 Lamps

I stock the Osram IRC Technology MR16 lamps right here in the good old United States. They are hard to find being made in Europe, but I import a ton of product from Osram and have them for a very good price.

This is by far the best MR16 lamp on the market and saves more in energy cost per year than the extra cost of the lamp.

Let me know if you have any questions. You can see the lamps at www.fusacorp.com and call us to set up a user ID and password.

Best Regards,
Craig A. Klomparens
FUSA CORP

darmawaa

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2000hours G6.35 Phoenix lamp in Japan Tokyu hands. I don't know if it is available in US. They are available in 35,50,75 and 100watt.

I think it is made in Taiwan or China, distributor price should be very cheap, maybe around $2-3 each, if anyone need hundreds of them, search their website and try to order as dealer.

bonklers

Newly Enlightened
Will I gain anything from using a 12V batterypack NIMH on hot driver with IRC bulbs? i.e. constant output, option to overdrive the bulb, better lumen/watt ratio?

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
bonklers,

No. Unless you want to run it at a lower voltage, you will only sacrifice efficiency due to the FET resistance. There is no way you will instaflash it either from a 12 V pack.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
you won't be happy with the output at 12V.. they are very very nice at 18-18.5V.. they should work up to 19.5.. higher than that, probably will darken pretty quickly based on my one tester lamp that is pretty dark.

-awr

bonklers

Newly Enlightened
How long is the bulb life if you push it up to 18V? And did you try the 25W with 18V?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not gotten any 25Wers yet.. i don't suspect any problem at all at 18-18.5V though.. the re-rating formulas really can't be trusted.. but doing my best to estimate..

the standard re-rater says 22.4hrs.. i know better than that.. the IRC lamps are pushed 35% harder than the power level suggests.. so i've tweaked the curves and come up with somewhere between 6 and 15 hrs is what i'd expect.. i have a couple bulbs with an hour or two of use with no visible signs of wear yet.

The slovanians really came through with my bulb order.. i don't expect problems and when i get to the point where i'm selling lights hosting these lamps i will keep plenty in stock to sell piece-meal.

-awr