Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

Kouryu

Newly Enlightened
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2015

I can still get the old Sanyo branded Tropicals here. The big Panasonic word actually ruins the look .

You can also get the Tropical Panasonics and they look pretty much the same... the "Panasonic" branding is Japan only. Everywhere else, "eneloop" is prominently displayed, it's only the back side shows the branding in the smaller print

Techno

Newly Enlightened

You can also get the Tropical Panasonics and they look pretty much the same... the "Panasonic" branding is Japan only. Everywhere else, "eneloop" is prominently displayed, it's only the back side shows the branding in the smaller print

Here, consumers can get (1)old 70% Sanyo Tropical or (2)newer 65% made in china Panasonic Tropical. I've pulled the trigger on the Sanyo Tropical.

Kouryu

Newly Enlightened

The 70% Panasonic Tropicals exist... I own a pack of those

Techno

Newly Enlightened

The 70% Panasonic Tropicals exist... I own a pack of those

It depends on the region, I guess. The made in Japan Panasonic 70% cannot or can no longer be found here.

I've a Nitecore D4 for these batteries. Is there any reason whatsoever to use the low 100 (or 150???) Mah charging mode? For whites or lites?

ChibiM

Enlightened

It depends on the region, I guess. The made in Japan Panasonic 70% cannot or can no longer be found here.

I've a Nitecore D4 for these batteries. Is there any reason whatsoever to use the low 100 (or 150???) Mah charging mode? For whites or lites?
Hi Techno, where do you live?
The 70% Panasonic eneloops (with Panasonic label) are only available in Japan. And they now show 90% after 1 year (in Japan). In the EU and US, they show 70% after 10 years, but have the traditional eneloop labeling.

Its not recommended charging them at such a low rate. Better charge them at least from about half of the capacity (.5C) so, if a battery is 2000mAh, you can charge it with 1000mA.
I dont know exactly the maximum charge rate for the D4, but try to go above 500mA, or even above 1000mA if possible.
for the Lites, you can go somewhere between 500-1000mA.. that would be better than charging at 100 or 150.

Big_Sam

Newly Enlightened

I got the Panasonic Japan tropical here on Amazon UK, quite rare though, only got two packets.

Just bought some AAA Pro from Amazon UK and they are now selling the Japanese 930mAh versions.

Techno

Newly Enlightened

Hi Techno, where do you live?
The 70% Panasonic eneloops (with Panasonic label) are only available in Japan. And they now show 90% after 1 year (in Japan). In the EU and US, they show 70% after 10 years, but have the traditional eneloop labeling.

Its not recommended charging them at such a low rate. Better charge them at least from about half of the capacity (.5C) so, if a battery is 2000mAh, you can charge it with 1000mA.
I dont know exactly the maximum charge rate for the D4, but try to go above 500mA, or even above 1000mA if possible.
for the Lites, you can go somewhere between 500-1000mA.. that would be better than charging at 100 or 150.

Oops, I think there is some confusion.

I'm at Southeast Asia. The only made in Japan gen4 "eneloops" here are the Fujitsu version. The Panasonic whites and lites are all made in China.

Earlier on, I was referring to 70% Sanyo tropical vs 65% Panasonic Tropical. I cannot find the 70% Panasonic Gen4 tropical. The Sanyo Tropical came today. As stated on package, its manufactured 2013. I think it's gen3 1800 cycles.

Have also pulled the trigger on some 950mah Toshiba Impulse AAA. The seller claims those are made in Japan. We'll see...

markr6

Flashaholic

I just noticed some more peeling wrappers on my Eneloops. I hardly use AAs anymore in flashlights, and not even that many around my house, so I guess it's not a huge deal.

But no matter how careful I am, they seem to peel at the negative terminals. I don't think it's my chargers either. Everything from 1st to 4th gen. I wish there was more wrapper on the negative end so it would (possibly) hold up better.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just noticed some more peeling wrappers on my Eneloops. I hardly use AAs anymore in flashlights, and not even that many around my house, so I guess it's not a huge deal.

But no matter how careful I am, they seem to peel at the negative terminals. I don't think it's my chargers either. Everything from 1st to 4th gen. I wish there was more wrapper on the negative end so it would (possibly) hold up better.

Do they get warm as you are charging them? Could be a factor and usually any of my NiMH cells that are usually charged back up have wrappers that are coming off when they are being charged to 100%, none of the cells i have wrapper issues when charging in the C9000. How long have you had them for?

Probably the only thing that is not made well with Eneloops, great battery cheap wrapping but i only encountered one cell that has the wrapping coming off and it's only a small area though and not as bad as my other brand cells.

markr6

Flashaholic

Do they get warm as you are charging them? Could be a factor and usually any of my NiMH cells that are usually charged back up have wrappers that are coming off when they are being charged to 100%, none of the cells i have wrapper issues when charging in the C9000. How long have you had them for?

Probably the only thing that is not made well with Eneloops, great battery cheap wrapping but i only encountered one cell that has the wrapping coming off and it's only a small area though and not as bad as my other brand cells.

They range from 2006 - 2014. It's not just the old ones. I know my cable box remove chews them up since it's nearly impossible to remove them. But even some of my newer cells in my Canon camera flash and EA4 were cut, torn, etc. It just seems like a weak point since the wrapper only comes around the edge slightly.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

They range from 2006 - 2014. It's not just the old ones. I know my cable box remove chews them up since it's nearly impossible to remove them. But even some of my newer cells in my Canon camera flash and EA4 were cut, torn, etc. It just seems like a weak point since the wrapper only comes around the edge slightly.

Oh okay, yeah having a tight battery holder would cause that sort of thing. Usually in that case i either use a quarter or a flat scewdriver or whatever i can do to pry them out but almost all the time the positive terminal gets wear and tear. I just know that over time repeat heat and cooling of the battery would cause the ends of the terminals to become brittle and wear out.

ChibiM

Enlightened

find the similarities
the very first eneloop limited editions;
22913407002_d0145107f8.jpg

and their latest limited edition
22534485929_d879892fc4.jpg

G166H

Newly Enlightened

I got a lot of help from these forums about batteries and the story behind the miss use of the name "Eneloop" and plumped for the Glitter ones which I was still able to pick up unopened!

BgmH2vr.png

L2MKDkA.png

shTqn49.png

rkXXGJ5.jpg

Z7dsT2L.png

littlestar

Newly Enlightened

I think Amazon has it available from third party sellers.

Techno

Newly Enlightened

I think it's an eBay seller, shipping from indonesia

Techno

Newly Enlightened

I've gotten in some Toshiba Impulse TNH-4AH AAA batteries. The blister pack contains a battery storage case, has Korean wordings and states MADE IN JAPAN. How do I tell whether these are Eneloop Pros? These have white top, marked 900mAh on the battery and 950mAh on the blister pack.

EDIT
OK. No need to reply. It says "FDK Corporation" on the back! Wow.

r9kgfa.jpg

xbftci.jpg

Last edited: