Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
Just opened a new pack of old stock 2008 vitange eneloop. Still had a full charge

:faint:
I was cleaning things out and I found a set of charger/4 AA combo I bought a long time ago and forgot about. They're Sony branded pre-charged. Made in Japan 2,000mAh 1,000 cycle rated. I think they're rebranded eneloop. The date code is 2008. I discharged them at 500mA. They all delivered 1,300-1,350 mAh and held a stady 1.15 to 1.20v during the bulk of discharge cycle. After six years. Right out of the package!

From what I gathered in threads here, they are shipped pre-charged, but not completely full.

Charged them back up with an eneloop charger. After my first charge, I discharged them at 1,000mA. I got 1900 to 1950mAh from every one of them. I chose 1A just to cut the time.

I also have two made in 2006. They put out voltage but they are so deteriorated that every charger rejects them and I can only charge in a timer charger. They were all kept loose and not in a device so they didn't get drained to the ground. I wonder if the first use initiates a permanent internal structure that gets the clock ticking on deterioration in storage or if the key is to store them half charged. Are they equally shelf stable if If I cycle them a few times and store them again at half charge?

NiMH was in the most competitive phase in those days. I remember getting NiMH bundled with a Sony charger that got rejected by the charger right out of the package and it was a current model back then.

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just opened a new pack of old stock 2008 vitange eneloop. Still had a full charge

I just found a local (NZ and Australia chain) store selling a new Chinese-made edition of the Chocolat 8-packs.
They have the same specs as the other 2100 cycle Chinese eneloops.
IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6700.jpg

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
Re: Just opened a new pack of old stock 2008 vitange eneloop. Still had a full charge

Samgab: I am not so much concerned about the Chinese eneloops, but the Chinese chocolat tones have been in Australia for a while now at ****Smith I think.
Bright+ pretty consistent numbers on those cells.. are they Sony? or eneloop branded?
Interesting observation.. so you mean that the latter ones (getting rejected by chargers) are the same as the "new pack" you found?

Just for an update, I just got the latest Eneloop Forest tones in, and selling 5 packs at CPFMarketplace
15857377226_1216540b90_c.jpg

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

...Interesting observation.. so you mean that the latter ones (getting rejected by chargers) are the same as the "new pack" you found?

Hey, I just meant they are Chinese made and rated for 2100 cycles and 65% capacity after 5 years. I haven't had any trouble with the charger rejecting them... They're branded eneloop, but have different livery than the Japanese made Panasonic eneloops.

Verndog

Enlightened

Best deal on made in Japan Eneloops are Amazon Basic AA's 8 pack for $15.98

These appear to be Gen 2 or 3 made in Japan, same specs, same measurments, they test out exactly the same and only difference is they have de-speced the LSD numbers 5% per year and # of charging cycles. Most likely to keep the original manufacturer off their back for undercutting the Eneloop market.

NLee reviewed these as well, and I agree with his findings...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWNMV4G/?tag=cpf0b6-20

8-pack_200_.jpg

Last edited:

Bright+

Newly Enlightened

Bright+ pretty consistent numbers on those cells.. are they Sony? or eneloop branded?
Interesting observation.. so you mean that the latter ones (getting rejected by chargers) are the same as the "new pack" you found?

The new old stock ones from 2008 are Sony CycleEnergy precharged. 2,000mAh.

The ones that get rejected are manufactured in 2006, but they were not stored new and unused. I used them a 20-30 cycles maybe before then, they were unused for a few years. They still have 1.2v, but they're passivated. This is why I was asking if NiMH do not store well once you have used them.

Cycle life given by the manufacturer is a joke. They don't represent the real world at all. If the cells can't handle 1-2A discharge without holding up a decent voltage, they're end of life as far as I'm concerned as a device like a camera will shut off and chargers will usually reject them. More typical real life usage: You let it sit a few month. use them for a few cycles over a few days and repeat. After 30-40 real life cycles under those conditions, many cells become junk.

The ones that were rejected by the charger right out of package were Sony rebadged Sanyo 2300 or 2500.

Last edited:

Viking

Enlightened

Hi Bright+

Can you tell if the cells are CycleEnergy Blue ( blue printed cirkel ) , and made in Japan ?

They allegedly also have made CycleEnergy in other editions , like green for instance. And some of the cells ( blue edition included ) are made in China , that's the reason I ask.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2014

Editing to show correct title of this thread.

Bill

Last edited:

ppsam

Newly Enlightened

Could anyone offer an opinion on whether this UK ebay listing is selling genuine eneloops? Seems pretty authentic, but the price is a bit low and the seller's feedback history...well, let's just say not what I'd have imagined from a battery trader.

ppsam

Newly Enlightened

Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

Thank you! It does seem like the place to be to discuss eneloops :) I've been planning for ages to swap out most of my existing cells for a top brand of rechargeables and an intelligent charger on a budget, and finally getting round to it. Just ordered the Youshiko YC4000, which is a bit of a Technoline BC700 copy but has some positive reviews (haven't received it yet so can't verify), and lots of Sanyo/Pana eneloops. After reading the thread on Japanese vs Chinese manufacturing, the tropical ones seem to tick all the boxes. I'm hoping they're cheaper just because they're Summery and don't sell as well in the Winter!

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you! It does seem like the place to be to discuss eneloops :) I've been planning for ages to swap out most of my existing cells for a top brand of rechargeables and an intelligent charger on a budget, and finally getting round to it. Just ordered the Youshiko YC4000, which is a bit of a Technoline BC700 copy but has some positive reviews (haven't received it yet so can't verify), and lots of Sanyo/Pana eneloops. After reading the thread on Japanese vs Chinese manufacturing, the tropical ones seem to tick all the boxes. I'm hoping they're cheaper just because they're Summery and don't sell as well in the Winter!

There's no way I could tell beyond any doubt without actually testing them, but they look legit to me.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is a new product on the EU market since November 2014:
Panasonic Tropical 2100x (instead of Sanyo Tropical 1800x)

Sanyo Tropical blister pack EU has the part number HR-3UTGB-8BP TROPICAL (or HR-3UTGB8TPE) Made in Japan, whereas
Panasonic Tropical blister pack EU has the part number PHR3UTGB-8BP-TROPICAL (or ???) Made in ???.

So for the Europe sales area Panasonic Europe did not make the 4th gen Eneloop AA special editions Glamour Tones or Forest Tones available but instead released the 4th gen Eneloop AA special edition (again) as Tropical Tones.

Personally i prefer the Tropical Tones anyway because they come in 8 distinct colors and numbering, instead of mere 4.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened

There is a new product on the EU market since November 2014:
Panasonic Tropical 2100x (instead of Sanyo Tropical 1800x)

Sanyo Tropical blister pack EU has the part number HR-3UTGB-8BP TROPICAL (or HR-3UTGB8TPE) Made in Japan, whereas
Panasonic Tropical blister pack EU has the part number PHR3UTGB-8BP-TROPICAL (or ???) Made in ???.

So for the Europe sales area Panasonic Europe did not make the 4th gen Eneloop AA special editions Glamour Tones or Forest Tones available but instead released the 4th gen Eneloop AA special edition (again) as Tropical Tones.

Personally i prefer the Tropical Tones anyway because they come in 8 distinct colors and numbering, instead of mere 4.

Thanks for the find!
actually the code for the newest Tropical ones is BK-3MCCE/8PT
the colors of the Tropical ones are very nice though...

Its quite strange and somewhat disturbing that they used the 70% rating on these (most probably) Chinese made cells.
The 65% vs 70% was 1 thing easily noticeable.
If they are indeed made in China, it gets more difficult to distinguish the Japan made cells from the Chinese made cells by just looking at the pictures.

I just found out that they have another 65% ones, which are definitely made in China.
So probably the 70% tropical ones are made in Japan...
Can you buy them Kreisler? And take a picture of the backside?

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened

old vs new

Left: Made in Japan 3rd generation Right: Made in (Japan?) 4th generation
I think they now make 2 versions, 1 in China and 1 in Japan...

16040724871_c53f74d314_n.jpg
16016904126_7ae91533d4_n.jpg

Both say 70% after 5 years.
but this one below, is definitely made in China
65% and from a Chinese website
16040852381_775312abae_n.jpg

Backside of this 65% one, showing that its made in China

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you buy them Kreisler? And take a picture of the backside?
I am taking one for de team.

Expect to see my photo material within 1 week :)

Last edited:

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
Eneloop Gen1 vs Gen2

Thread Merge - Norm

The last post on this I could find was in 2011, so I am asking for more recent experience/data:

If I have the option to keep/rely on Gen1 vs Gen2 envelops [1900mh types] – which are likely to be more reliable over the longer haul?

I have both [Gen1 dates 2006-07 & Gen2 dates 2011-12]. They have been lightly used, more often installed than drained and recharged. Is either version inherently more robust? I can imagine that the older the more likely to breakdown or fail, but I wonder if folks here have some experience or even [:grin2:] data:caution:?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: