• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

PEAK ?s RE: Eiger Options

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.

Looking to get my first Peak Led. I've narrowed it down to the Eiger AAA. (Previously this thread was narrowed down to two lights, but I've settled on the Eiger.)

four questions:

1) Wide or Medium? I read medium seems to be preferred. Does medium have a large or small hotspot?

2) Cool or neutral? I like cool as long as it's more white than blue; I like neutral as long as it's more white that incandescent. Which of the two do you all think is "closer" to noon-day sunlight?

3) level 5, 6 or 7? I'm leaning toward 5 since this is a single mode light. Any thoughts? I've not had a single level light since I carried a Photon Micro II 10+ years ago, and this will be my EDC.

4) if I opt for the keyring body, does it inlude the keyring and the monetary button both?

5) Can I get brass without the gold plating?
Thanks again!

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PEAK ?s re: Baltic and Eiger

The Baltic has a few different bodies available, but none are AA. It does have a AAA body though. If you want AA, look at the El Capitain series. All three are now using the XP-G emitter, the Eiger is smallest (diameter) then Baltic and El Cap.. IIRC momentary switches are available for all three.
The Baltic is only recently being revised, but I think it's using the same optics as the Eiger, so the main difference would be aesthetics.

Your best bet is to call Curt at Peak.

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, Jabe1.

I've modified my original post. Considering they're both AAA, I prefer the cosmetics of the Eiger.

fyrstormer

Banned
The Eiger Medium doesn't have a hotspot so much as it has a square box of even lighting. This is because the emitter die is square, and the focusing optic projects a (fuzzy) image of the die on whatever surface you point the light at. It's very useful.

I have a #6, but I use a Li-Ion 10280 battery with mine. I think #6 is right at the limit of what an AAA battery can drive, so maybe a #5 makes more sense if that's how you're going to power it.

nanomu

Newly Enlightened
I have a #6, but I use a Li-Ion 10280 battery with mine. I think #6 is right at the limit of what an AAA battery can drive, so maybe a #5 makes more sense if that's how you're going to power it.

My apologies for the slightly off-topicness, but what sort of average useful runtime do you get with the 10280 #6?

I've only seen the medium beam, and the pattern is perfectly even and diffused. I suspect the difference between medium and wide is the width of spill.

As for AAA, nice format with readily available batteries. I suspect anything higher than #1 will be brighter than your old Photon.

fyrstormer

Banned
Hard to say, I've never really timed it. I'm going to guess about a half-hour or so, using it as spot-illumination when I'm working on soldering something on my workbench. All the other lights in the garage are on when I'm doing that, though, so really the half-hour mark is roughly when the Eiger gets dim enough to not be useful when there's already lots of ambient light; in the dark, I imagine it would continue to be useful for somewhat longer.

Also slightly off-topic, but one of the reasons I bought Photon 2's for my family is because I can easily replace the LEDs. The old ones weren't very bright, but nowadays I've upgraded them to the latest emitters I can find, and they still work really well, good enough to illuminate a small walk-in closet in fact.

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
Done!

I talked to Curt (fantastic guy!) and emailed with Robyn (very helpful!).

I officially placed my order today for:

#6 Medium Cool LED
AAA HAIII body with momentary switch

Now the wait begins!

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
I'd be interested to see what the HA3 version looks like. All the detail photos I've seen have been of the stainless version.

I'm building a DIY litebox this weekend. Once the Peak arrives, I'll snap some pics and post them here.