Psychology Class and Candles...

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, the history channel just said a pocket sized signal mirror could send messages 50 miles as used by people in the early 1800s. I wonder if this is bad information.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The pocket mirror sounds valid to me, using the sun and standing on top of a mountain I could see that happening.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ummm, on the moon it would not work as well....while the lack of atmosphere would help, the curve is sharper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, technically the lack of atmosphere will dimimish the candle's brightness by quite a bit. Unless you add an oxidizer ro the wick. Hmmmmm..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
She isn't alone, people used to believe everything orbited the earth at one time... it was called the dark ages.. perhaps this was the time you could see such a candle 30 miles away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly. It would have worked back then because the earth was flat.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
She isn't alone, people used to believe everything orbited the earth at one time... it was called the dark ages.. perhaps this was the time you could see such a candle 30 miles away?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, I just spit on my keyboard. That's funny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!!!

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
The pocket mirror sounds valid to me, using the sun and standing on top of a mountain I could see that happening.

[/ QUOTE ]
The ghouls can signal in relay all the way around the Ringworld. And if that isn't OT enough
How about LED signal mirrors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about some form of introspective meditation to get in touch with our wounded inner child. Glad it's not!!!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are a hoot. I think you are right, she messed up the example. Not surprised, most college profs only know what they read and little of reality.

I thought this was going to be a conversation about metaphysics or something, trying to blow the candle out by thinking it.

In a stress management class our prof lit one and several students left the room. I didnt see anything relaxing about, i was worried about it setting off the fire system.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
In a stress management class our prof lit one and several students left the room. I didnt see anything relaxing about, i was worried about it setting off the fire system.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never saw anything relaxing about candles myself. The light is even yellower than the incandescents which already give me a big headache. On top of that, the light is dim and flickering. People adopted electric lighting over candles precisely because candlelight stinks. The notion that candlelight is "romantic" or relaxing is a fairly modern construct. Anyone reading any literature from the time when candles were in use knows how many people cursed them. They may have been "better than nothing", but not by much.

JOshooter

Enlightened
I'm not sure how much light is effected by the gravity of the earth, but it will bend, so 1200 feet of elevation may not be needed. Was whoever came up with the "fact" using NVGs?

Sharp

Enlightened
For me, a candle is at least a Mag w/ Opalec NewBeam in Candle Mode. Classic candles are a pain, and dangerous.

Richard

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UncleFester said:
When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about some form of introspective meditation to get in touch with our wounded inner child. Glad it's not!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! The last time I tried getting in touch with My wounded inner child I found that He had not been potty trained ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about carbid(SP?) lamps. Didnt they use those in coal mines and around the same time, oil lamps on cars for tail and head lights?

Just wondering how possible this is or maybe we are over thinking it?

Latest posts