Ra Clicky (HDS Systems EDC) - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanjyj

Enlightened
Did you notice that there is also a diffence at the other end of the knurling area ?

The knurling pattern seems considered as a protruding part, so the diameter of the bezel is smaller, like every parts that are not knurled.

p1010566g.jpg

palimpsest, your theory works - only if the older light's bezels were not flush with the head.

If the newer bezels are smaller, it can only be
1. (unannounced) Design change
2. different batch of bezels (new machining)

Spacemarine

Enlightened
Protected 18650 cells are actually 19mm in diameter.

My NCR18650 2900 mAh cells are 18.13mm in diameter, the same cell in the protected version (Redilast) is 18.43 mm in diameter. In both cases I measured the postion with the largest diameter. That's not so much of a difference.

I totally understand Henry's and your explanation, but the same thing is true for 17670 cells. So if the the current 17670 tube is designed to take PROTECTED 17670 cells, it should only have to be increased by 1 mm in diameter order to accept protected 18650 cells.

André

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, really? :faint: That's quite a nasty slip.
I would insist on a new head, since the reflector/LED is probably all dusty by now. But I'm sure Henry will make it right for you ... still, quite a bummer.

There is a bit of dust in there now that I look at...I just don't want to put it back in my pocket without the lens.

The crazy thing is that I know I looked at the LED. It just didn't seem like there was no lens there. The lens on my 140 Clicky is wicked clear.

Now I'm getting razzed by this guy at work for spending $150 on a flashlight that has no lens...:(

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL@ no lens... That's pretty crazy. I don't know how a ra's lens is held in there, but is it possible that this wonky incorrect diameter bezel let it fall out or something?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL@ no lens... That's pretty crazy. I don't know how a ra's lens is held in there, but is it possible that this wonky incorrect diameter bezel let it fall out or something?

No. At least, I'm pretty sure not. The difference in the bezel diameter is on the outside, not the inside.

Edit - interestingly enough, when I first got the light last night, it (the high CRI) felt slightly lighter in my hands. I pulled out a food scale and found that the high CRI weighed almost a quarter an ounce less than my 140 Clicky. Now, I'm not sure how much the glass actually weighs, but that could be some part of it? And I know there will be some that cry "impossible" to being able to tell the weight difference, but I'm telling you that I could.

Last edited:

hotlight

Enlightened
Directly from HDS. Here's the post.

HDS has been "backlogged"/busy.. they must be in a hurry trying to catch up.(no excuse for forgetting a lens tho)

black SS crenelated bezel#16052 has that "smaller diameter" "issue".....
F04 almost falls off. no big deal for me.

FYI:
ordered Hi CRI from goinggear, comes with: (you may already know this)
bezel down clip
black SS? bezel
tail cap rubber is flatter/tailstands better(perfect) than my older Hi CRI **EDIT**: the tail cap is a shaped a little different allowing the rubber boot to sit "flatter"/more flush

Last edited:

HorseFilms

Newly Enlightened
My High CRI with Black SS Bezel just arrived!:D

The damn thing is perfect. The bezel is flush with the body and it's the coolest light I've ever owned. This could get expensive.

p.s. I knew it was small, but I was surprised by how small it really is. It fits perfectly in my Maxpedition single sheath. This thing is never leaving my side.lovecpf

nbp

Flashaholic
@ wacbzz

Email Henry at once. He will absolutely take care of you. I have had to contact him twice about different things and he responds quickly and handles the issue promptly.

That is a strange one though. :duh2:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ wacbzz

Email Henry at once. He will absolutely take care of you. I have had to contact him twice about different things and he responds quickly and handles the issue promptly.

That is a strange one though. :duh2:

I did send him an email right after I posted here but haven't yet heard from him...

chanjyj

Enlightened
I did send him an email right after I posted here but haven't yet heard from him...

Henry sometimes takes 2 days to reply. Sometimes a few hours. It varies. But when he replies you can be sure it isn't a "template reply". :thumbsup:

Personal experience.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry sometimes takes 2 days to reply. Sometimes a few hours. It varies. But when he replies you can be sure it isn't a "template reply". :thumbsup:

Personal experience.

That's good news.

I'm just not sure how long I want to go without a lens on my light...:whistle:
(though I'm sure it will be days, which means days out of commission...:sigh:)

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
My NCR18650 2900 mAh cells are 18.13mm in diameter, the same cell in the protected version (Redilast) is 18.43 mm in diameter. In both cases I measured the postion with the largest diameter. That's not so much of a difference.

I totally understand Henry's and your explanation, but the same thing is true for 17670 cells. So if the the current 17670 tube is designed to take PROTECTED 17670 cells, it should only have to be increased by 1 mm in diameter order to accept protected 18650 cells.

André

I'm a relative Newbie and as such not really an expert on batteries so I could be mistaken, but I think that 17670 is already the size of protected cell whereas the size of protected 18650 cells are suppose to be 19670. I think the indicator is the 67mm length because of the extra 2mm required for the protection circuit. Does that mean unprotected 17670 cells are actually 16650 ? Maybe someone can measure the OD of a 17670 cell. If a protected 18650 (i.e. 19670) cell is 18.43mm , then maybe a 17670 cell is 16.5mm. I don't know ? FWIW, I measured my 17670 tube with a ruler (don't have Vernier calipers) and it looks to be 17mm in internal diameter. I know that Oveready bore their Surfire hosts to 18.65mm. I guess the only way to get a definite answer is for someone who has the new Twistys 19670 to measure the internal diameter and compare it to that of the 17670 Clicky battery compartment. Anyone have both ?

Last edited:

flashlight nut

Enlightened
I have a question that has been in the back of my mind with these sophisticated lights. We all edc items we think will get us through the immediate stage of an unforseen disaster or emergency, the flashlight being top of the list of things to carry. I know Henry's lights are billed as "bomb proof" but how does the circuitry of his lights or any other sophisticated light hold up to an EMP? I know this is a little extreme but in today's day and age this question has been nagging me. Sorry for the dark topic.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I received my 140GT Clicky on Friday. Blk Ti Bezel w/ UCL, raised button, executive operation.

This is my first clicky w the raised button. I really like it!

Also, that GT tint is just pure white, not cool, not warm. Perrrrrrfect. :faint:

This light will see lots of use, my #1 EDC now.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My High CRI with Black SS Bezel just arrived!:D

I received my 140GT Clicky on Friday. Blk Ti Bezel w/ UCL, raised button, executive operation.

Not that I wish missing parts on anybody else, but I guess I'm the only unlucky one to recently receive a new light without a lens? :sigh:

I know that HorseFilms said the bezel was perfect with the body, but what about yours PSM? Did you guys buy them direct from Henry or from somebody else?

I'm asking because with my 140 Clicky, the bezel and body were aligned perfect and I bought it from Unique Titanium. The high CRI that has the ever so slightly smaller bezel was bought directly from HDS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts