Review: Convoy S2+ (the red one!) – Fantastic 18650 EDC

vudoo

Enlightened
I bought the stainless steel clip from AliExpress with my S2. Carried it in my pocket for a few hours and when I took it out the clip was bent. The clip felt quite cheap and weak.

02976a7096f05cd80d3c109616ef9dd3.jpg

Went to take the light out of my pocket an hour later and it was gone. Must have fallen out of my pocket. It was my new favourite EDC with a triple 219c LED's. [emoji30]

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bolt on clips aren't springy and can bend if you catch them on thing. However they are ever so easy to bend back, just unscrew the tail cap and it'll be easy to re-shapen.

I have those clips on loads of my lights. They seem to work fine for me most of the time. And are comparable to my EagleTac D Series clip, which also bolts on.

If you want a different clip, have a look at Simon's store on Aliexpress, he has some deep carry clip on clips that fit the S2+ and other Convoy lights.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can not switch the modes with a single tap, i have to do two taps for changing mode everytime or one full click.
I think that has something to do with the on time memory and is a quirk on how these drivers work. If you turn it on, mode selection will be by a single half click.

If you've left in a mode for 'x' seconds, then yes, it may require two half clicks to cycle to the next mode, but will only require a single half click from there on, until you leave it on a mode for 'x' seconds again.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictured earlier, a little while ago I bought a blue Convoy S2+, with the intent of running it as a shorty and building it as a triple.

I trialled it with the stock CW XM-L2 and stock driver in shorty mode with an 18350 IMR. But as I've found with other lights running 16340/18350/14500, I just don't get on with them. Runtimes are too short.

Also the lack of a moonlight mode is my biggest gripe with the stock Convoy drivers.

So yesterday I built this light up as an 18650 with a 4 mode Qlite driver. It has a slightly higher 3.04amp high mode and a 5mA Moonlight mode. But works in a largely similar fashion to the stock Convoy 8*7135 driver.

Instead of going NW Cree, I opted for a Nichia219BT D220 (think it's min 90CRI) that I happened to have. It's mounted on a copper direct thermal path (DTP) Noctigon star.

The combination of the S2+'s small shallow reflector and the smaller Nichia LED seem to be a winning combo in my book.

The beam profile is very nice. The hot spot being ever so slightly smaller and brighter than my red S2+ with the XM-L2, and the spill beam ever so slightly less bright. But a very nice combo.

Throw is slightly improved, but it's still a nice floody tube light. But now with better tint and thanks to the 3amp driver, seems visually to pump similar amounts of light on high.

The 5mA Moonlight mode is lovely too and is about equal to my Sunwaymany V11R on it's lowest setting.

It gets a little hotter a little quicker I think than the red S2+, but the copper star should handle this fine.

I would recommend this as a worthwhile upgrade for any current or potential S2+ owners. My blue S2+ is also sporting Convoy's latest deep carry pocket clip, which I think works better than the previous bolt on one.

Total cost:

Driver $4.19 shipped
LED on star $.4.98 shipped
Clip $0.88 shipped (bought as a pack of 10)

I will attempt to get some comparison beam shots and post them up later on.

fedcas

Newly Enlightened
I think that has something to do with the on time memory and is a quirk on how these drivers work. If you turn it on, mode selection will be by a single half click.

If you've left in a mode for 'x' seconds, then yes, it may require two half clicks to cycle to the next mode, but will only require a single half click from there on, until you leave it on a mode for 'x' seconds again.

If it's really a choice, it sounds like a really bad one to me. I thought it was a bug: normally it is like that
- Turn on the switch: if the light has been OFF for more than 2 seconds turn on in the last mode, otherwise turn on in last mode+1.
Instead this one works this way:
- Turn on the switch: if the light has been ON for more than 2 seconds turn on in the last mode (regardless of how much time the light has been off, either 100 ms or 2 days) otherwise turn on in last mode+1.

Is there any way to mod this behaviour (apart from reflashing the whole driver) or even just disable the memory? It just drives me crazy.

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
My Convoy S2+'s

Blue: Warm White w/7135x8 Driver
Black: 3 Watt 365nm Nichia UV w/ ZWB2 UV Filter Lens
Green: Neutral White w/7135x6 Driver

DSC_6959_zpsknszmqbe.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
I bought the stainless steel clip from AliExpress with my S2. Carried it in my pocket for a few hours and when I took it out the clip was bent. The clip felt quite cheap and weak.

02976a7096f05cd80d3c109616ef9dd3.jpg

Went to take the light out of my pocket an hour later and it was gone. Must have fallen out of my pocket. It was my new favourite EDC with a triple 219c LED's. [emoji30]
Sounds like perfect edc and very pretty. They don't make with rubber boot? I hate metal boots.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Pictured earlier, a little while ago I bought a blue Convoy S2+, with the intent of running it as a shorty and building it as a triple.

I trialled it with the stock CW XM-L2 and stock driver in shorty mode with an 18350 IMR. But as I've found with other lights running 16340/18350/14500, I just don't get on with them. Runtimes are too short.

Also the lack of a moonlight mode is my biggest gripe with the stock Convoy drivers.

So yesterday I built this light up as an 18650 with a 4 mode Qlite driver. It has a slightly higher 3.04amp high mode and a 5mA Moonlight mode. But works in a largely similar fashion to the stock Convoy 8*7135 driver.

Instead of going NW Cree, I opted for a Nichia219BT D220 (think it's min 90CRI) that I happened to have. It's mounted on a copper direct thermal path (DTP) Noctigon star.

The combination of the S2+'s small shallow reflector and the smaller Nichia LED seem to be a winning combo in my book.

The beam profile is very nice. The hot spot being ever so slightly smaller and brighter than my red S2+ with the XM-L2, and the spill beam ever so slightly less bright. But a very nice combo.

Throw is slightly improved, but it's still a nice floody tube light. But now with better tint and thanks to the 3amp driver, seems visually to pump similar amounts of light on high.

The 5mA Moonlight mode is lovely too and is about equal to my Sunwaymany V11R on it's lowest setting.

It gets a little hotter a little quicker I think than the red S2+, but the copper star should handle this fine.

I would recommend this as a worthwhile upgrade for any current or potential S2+ owners. My blue S2+ is also sporting Convoy's latest deep carry pocket clip, which I think works better than the previous bolt on one.

Total cost:

Driver $4.19 shipped
LED on star $.4.98 shipped
Clip $0.88 shipped (bought as a pack of 10)

I will attempt to get some comparison beam shots and post them up later on.
Love the pocket clip. I have a Manker E14 with Nichia but it is too heavy ti carry. Triple nichia 219b in Convoy sounds like a nice setup. I do not like too much heat so I like the option of fewer chips for lower output on high. 400 lumens would be more than enough for me. I think that could be done with less than 3 amps?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE:

So I've been messing about with my Convoys. I found some TIR optics I pulled from an MR16 household bulb, that I bought for a Mag 3D triple build.

These TIR optics are almost a perfect fit and directly replace the stock reflector.

They produce the most awesome beam. The red Convoy S2+ has the original XM-L2 in it and seems to work brilliantly with the TIR. It produces a large floody even beam of lovely equal tint light, unlike the reflector where the hot spot and spill beam are slightly different colours.

The really odd thing is, it still seems to throw about the same distance, despite looking floody.... It's the closest thing to a wall of light any of my torches can produce.

The blue S2+ has the Nichia 219b in it. The TIR seems to work almost as well with this too, but the larger XM-L2 does seem to maximise the optic.

White wall hunters will note the beam is almost a little square on the edges, but you need to be fairly close to a wall to see this. In actual use, you just get a large illuminated area, completely evenly light. This gives the flood of an aspheric zoomy, but with way more range.

XM-L2

Nichia219b

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I must have gotten a fake. Had problems ever since I got mine. It died right after I received the 18350 tube. Modding what's left of it now. Where's the desert tan one so I can move on from this loss?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry too much about lumen claims. Once you've bought a few lights, you'll sort of know what to expect. Also lumens are a bit like torque with cars. More is usually good, but what it does with it, is often more important.

As for the Convoys. It can be daunting when first looking, as there are lots of choices.

First you have the different models. As a rule, the bigger the torch, the more throw the beam will be. So small tube lights are usually floody. Bigger lights will also hand the heat better. So you can usually use them for longer without them getting to hot to hold.

The Convoy drivers are available in different power outputs for the same torch. All the drivers are the same design however, with the same number of modes. They have High, Mid and Low output and you can also have strobe and SOS. The last two you can switch off however, so that you don't see them ever.

In the listings however, you'll usually see more than one driver listed, might be something like 3*7135 or 8*7135. The drivers the Convoy use, use 7135 chips to regulate current. The more chips the higher the Max output. 8*7135 is their most powerful driver. This will give 2.8 amps to the tail cap, which is on par with many lights from Fenix, Nitecore, etc. So you'll get about the same PEAK output in terms of lumens.

Less chips means less current. The advantage here is, you still get a lot of light, but less heat and longer runtimes. The 4*7135 makes for a nice compromise as a usual blue light, as you'll be able to keep it on High for extended periods of time. A 8*7135 driver will tend to get hot and after 5 mins will probably be too hot to comfortable hold.

So depending on if you use your torch for short bursts or longer durations, one or the other might be better.

As for buying from that seller. Afraid I normally buy from China as I'm never in a hurry to get the items. Shipping time is normally 2-4 weeks.

Www.banggood.com have a good range of Convoy lights and have as far as I know always delivered genuine ones.

Www.gearbest.com also sell Convoy, but I recall a lot of them were fakes and not as good.

Or you can buy direct from Simon at Convoy flashlights, he has an Aliexpress store, just search Convoy flashlights on Google and you'll find it.

The only negative with Aliexpress is, they don't take PayPal. Whereas banggood do. I like using PayPal, as it's super easy and reliable if you have to raise a dispute. So gives you very good protection and come back.

Last up, most Convoys are also offered in a different tints. Different tints will slightly affect PEAK lumens, but you'd never be able to tell with the naked eye. But you'll see tint every time you use the light.

Don't know if you have batteries or a charger yet. I like Samsung 25R and Samsung 30Q batteries, both available at banggood. The 30Q's will give better runtime, but cost more to buy. So unless you rely on the torch and need the runtime, then the 25R's will be more than up to the task. I'm yet to find a better battery for the money vs performance. Efest offer some good batteries too, bit more pricey, but you can get them within a day or two off eBay, should you need them quicker.

stubbys

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, i presume the emitting colour is the tint, what colour do those letters and numbers stand for?

f5d3ed6ed038aed8375b9e7c56fba256.jpg

stubbys

Newly Enlightened
Ah just found them, havent got a clue which one to go for, so ill probably just go with neutral.

a7a4d52c4cdbc4e4005d63cc349d5442.jpg

stubbys

Newly Enlightened
Drumstick, question for you ...

You have the 7135*8 driver, youve had it over a year, would you personally prefer a 6* or 4* driver? Or is the one youve got perfect for you? Cheers