ROP or 2C 5761?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real hardcore hotwire gurus sacrifice switches and bulbs along the way to find out ;)

You should have seen how many trashed reflectors, lights and bulbs littered the early days. I sacrificed many a ROP bulb in many different ways finding out what worked and what didn't. It was a great ride :D

Then there were some who would pop $20 Luxeons like $2 bulbs.. (yes they used to cost that much)

Some are saying resistance-fixed switches are good for 10 amps. Methinks that once I get back to my workbench I am gonna find out :D

PS: SAFETY FIRST: you can sacrifice as much gear as you want but not yourself. use appropriate protective gear!!

SuRgE

Enlightened
I would think if others were burning out switches in their ROPs; than similar results would happen with my 5761 during extended use.:mecry:

I'll have to leave the testing of that to the more finacially blessed.:D

I recently was given instructions on how to post pics here on CPF. Hopefully I will be able to soon.

SuRgE

Enlightened
6D up and running with same setup (except 6x1.2v) as the 5C.:) Seems a bit brighter but thats probally just the bulb.

I'll have to wait on my 6C conversion to 5761. My bi-pin sockets from FM don't fit the original housing:thinking:. They work with all the others (2C,5C,and the 6D). Oh well, I'll have to buy another C cell light and exchange the switch assemblies.

Anyone know the best and highest capacity Nimh D around? Currently using the Tenergy 10000mah Nimhs.

Last edited:

Pokerstud

Enlightened
6D up and running with same setup (except 6x1.2v) as the 5C.:) Seems a bit brighter but thats probally just the bulb.

I'll have to wait on my 6C conversion to 5761. My bi-pin sockets from FM don't fit the original housing:thinking:. They work with all the others (2C,5C,and the 6D). Oh well, I'll have to buy another C cell light and exchange the switch assemblies.

Anyone know the best and highest capacity Nimh D around? Currently using the Tenergy 10000mah Nimhs.

SuRgE,

When I was running some 6D ROP's I used CTA 12000mAH batts from thomasdistributing.com:

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...html?SP_id=&osCsid=uv4odhthgtdn6i5kds77ai47r3

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
wow... totally caught up in the craze now... i want i want i want... i just need to know what to buy.... surge gets a thanks from me for helping me with the info so far. i'm thinking about building the 5761 first since i already carry a 2c in the truck anyway... (3x 123 mod with the 6 cell bulb)... totally digging the idea of the Lion C cells... eh... not too big on the sub 30 minutes runtime but still think it would be fun as hell to have. next with be a 2D and 4D ROPS and a 3D m*g85.... damn... so little to do and so much time.... er... strike that... then reverse it.... :)

SuRgE

Enlightened
Runtime with the 3300mah should exceed 30 minutes; its the heat issue on the stock switch assembly that may be of concern.

SuRgE

Enlightened
6C 5761 finally up and running!:D

Had to modify the older switch housing parts with the newer ones but now its good to go. Using 6x1.2v Tenergy C cells charged to 7.9 volts and this light is sweet! This makes my 4th Mag conversion to the Philips 5761 and all are working fine. Now I am experimenting with different reflectors to achieve the perfect Surefire type beam. My 6D is using one of FM's MOPs and its has the nicest beam of all my Mags. I have notice too that bulb to bulb variations exist in beam quality. But, get the right bulb, the right reflector, and PRESTO (instant super bright Surefire beam quality in a dual function light/baton Mag!) :twothumbs

I'm hooked!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
SuRgE, there is no problem (in my experience) with a stock mag switch and a 5761 since you are going to be under 6A, and relatively low voltage which you can verify on my testing chart for that bulb here.

The problem with the mag switch developing arc damage and failure (wait until your first time the contacts fuse and you can't turn it off :eek: LOL!) is when you are operating above 7-8 Amps, worse with higher voltage setup.

That is why I swapped out the side switch with the 10A Judco switch on some of my hotwires. Another excellent alternative is to use AW's multi-level D Driver (more $$$), or the NTC, or JimmyM's PWM Driver.

Good Luck!