SC52W - "Green tint" poll

Does your neutral white SC52W have a strong color cast?

• Neutral white or slight pink/yellow tint

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Strong Green/Yellow tint

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Other tint

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well put and I agree. I have been using both of my SC52's for walking the dog and they both excel outdoors. But the bottom line for me is that when my 2 year old H51w looks SOOO much better than this new SC52w, it really irritates me...white wall hunting or not. And at $64, it makes it that much more disappointing. I've purchases 3 now and compared 10 in total...all COMPLETELY different tints. But to be honest, my two Nichia 219 lights are the ONLY ones I've had with mathcing tints, so I guess that's just how it goes.

While I believe that some folks are overreacting to the green tint issue and and even possibly exaggerating it in some cases, there is clearly a problem. There are way too many people reporting a problem for it not to be. It is interesting that there is so much variability being reported; kind of like, "The Tint Lottery" on steroids. Perhaps Cree has a quality control issue. I think the take home message is that this particular neutral emitter is not quite ready for prime time. Interestingly, my experience with "regular" versions of this emitter are quite "tintless". My SC51w has a much superior tint than the SC52w but then again it is a different emitter that has been around for much longer and has had all the kinks worked out.

Last edited:

creyc

Enlightened
The "pollster" wants to hear about a "Strong Green/Yellow tint" but is not interested at all to learn whether anyone has a "Subtle Green tint" to their light. The closest option is "other" which doesn't really address the question being asked. A properly designed poll would need an option for "slight green tint"

I understand this concern of yours, and the intent certainly wasn't to push the notion of a certain "trend" or agenda. After noticing repeated reports of strange color casts in the general SC52 thread, as well as others saying theirs were perfectly fine, I thought it a good idea to try to get a better idea of how frequently this was happening. I created this poll early on, before many reports came in describing other color casts that hadn't been discovered. I tried to cover all the bases but it seems hindsight strikes again.

In reality if your SC52W only has a very minor tint to it, you should probably select the first option: "Neutral white or slight pink/yellow tint". Perhaps this should have been worded "Neutral white or slight tint", leaving off any color choices altogether. At the time of posting all the user reports suggested what looked like two different bins; a light pink/yellow and a stronger green tint.

I tried to account for any future tints that may pop up by providing an "other" category, but of course this loses much poll information and invariably leaves someone feeling like there's not an option that fits their experience. With any multi option poll there's always the balance between keeping the poll simple to encourage participation and listing out all possible outcomes and permutations.

A final note, and it should go without saying really, this is obviously not a scientifically controlled research project. It's merely a common internet forum poll to gather other forum users experiences and observations in a way that may (or may not) help other members make an informed decision on this light. I'm sorry that your exact scenario isn't an available option, but you made a great addition to this thread and I personally enjoy reading longer form user reviews, although they take considerably more time to evaluate. Sometimes a poll can really help convey, at a quick galnce, the magnitude of a particular issue without wading through pages and pages. And for that reason I think this poll is useful.

Cheers!

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing I noticed is that Zebralight seem to have gone with a slightly more aggressive OP texturing on the reflector than with the original SC52. This gives a cleaner beam profile and transition from hotspot to spill. I'm glad they did this as it was my only real issue with the original.

Compared directly on M1 (50 lumens) to my H501w (rosy 5A tint) on high the beam does look a little green. However even compared to a Nichia 219 there isn't much green to it, rather quite a strong yellow, but not so strong as to be unpleasant. As I noted before, it is very much like early 'warm' XR-E tints in the 5B range.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
...It's merely a common internet forum poll to gather other forum users experiences and observations in a way that may (or may not) help other members make an informed decision on this light...

The comments from EZO mirror my own but, like many, I don't even look at the poll itself, just the comments. Hopefully this thread is a way to let Zebralight and users know of an issue that is real and an area where a great light can become greater. I would easily pay $10 more to get a sc52W that is practically without any tint, even at the low levels; a true neutral.

markr6

Flashaholic
I would easily pay $10 more to get a sc52W that is practically without any tint, even at the low levels; a true neutral.

I would easily pay $100 for one with a Nichia 219. Yes, $100. We already established my insanity :)

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone show a skin tone comparison between the Nichia 219 vs the :green: tint?

Here's a Nichia 219 [SW45B10] (top) vs XP-G2 [R5-3C] (Bottom)

10o2xyb.jpg

2332af.jpg

2lasgtv.jpg

huqd5d.jpg

tkrieger

Newly Enlightened
While I believe that some folks are overreacting to the green tint issue and and even possibly exaggerating it in some cases, there is clearly a problem. There are way too many people reporting a problem for it not to be. It is interesting that there is so much variability being reported; kind of like, "The Tint Lottery" on steroids. Perhaps Cree has a quality control issue. I think the take home message is that this particular neutral emitter is not quite ready for prime time. Interestingly, my experience with "regular" versions of this emitter are quite "tintless". My SC51w has a much superior tint than the SC52w but then again it is a different emitter that has been around for much longer and has had all the kinks worked out.
I'm new to this forum, this is my first post...:grin2:

I just got my Olight S10, and it seems like the "green tint" is mainly noticeable with "off-white" or especially beige surfaces. Also noticeable reflecting off "manila" paper. But not so noticeable with a pure white surface or non-yellow surfaces. (The green is made more noticeable with the surrounding violet light. This could be what induces exaggerated "green" beam shots in photos.) I've noticed a similar effect with some types of fluorescent lighting as well.

A revised version of the Olight S10 will be released about a month from now with a different emitter, the XM-L2.... It's supposedly going to up the output level as well. It will be interesting to see how the tint differs with the later version. (The later version will have a blue side button instead of a white one.)

js82

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone show a skin tone comparison between the Nichia 219 vs the :green: tint?

Here's a Nichia 219 [SW45B10] (top) vs XP-G2 [R5-3C] (Bottom)

10o2xyb.jpg

I really wish flashlight companies would stop using 3Cs and start using 3Ds instead. Then we wouldn't have problems with green tints anymore. Might have problems with rosy tints though.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3C tint I posted is a from custom P60 dropin, not the SC52W. It's the only good quad XP-G2 neutral tint I could get from cutter.

Who knows what ZebraLight is using. That's why I'd like to see how the :green: renders compared to my custom 3C.

Edit: BTW I have an XP-G2 R4-5C with a lot more of a rosy tint, and it still looks nowhere near as good as the Nichia. Hand might look rosier but there's still just as much yellow.

Point being there is *a lot* more to the Nichia than just the rose tint. The spectrum is completely different from CREE's. Overall it's the whitest led I've ever seen, it's close to a white fluorescent.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint is certainly a traditional 'warm' i.e. what warm used to be called when I remember them first becoming popular with the TK20 and Nitecore's early introdiction of them into the EZ series.

As I noted before, it is very much like early 'warm' XR-E tints in the 5B range.

Thank you! I can't believe that I had to find your comments buried in this thread. I find these comments really useful and I hope you post them elsewhere or in a review thread of your own.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, we've got some greenies going on here! Before we start talking too much about comparing with the (perfect) Nichia 219, here's a shot next to my H600w.

I don't care how you use it or how much of a non-tintsnob you may be. When you have something that should be the same or similar tint and get this, it's pretty upsetting.

sc52w.jpg

ZebraLight could be using ANSI standard 5 binned LED's from either 5B1 or 5B4 quadrants for their warms. See the graphic:

2lasgtv.jpg

I've tested a custom quad 5B1 module vs a rosey 5C1. Just two quadrangle shifts to the left creates an entirely different yellowish tint exactly like the pics posted in this thread. It's drastic compared to the rosey 5C1, as if it should really be in the 2C range referencing the chart, so much so that I've questioned if the tint was ordered as specified.

Quadrangle differences are much more amplified when seeing the actual output.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the world of CREE :D. It's actually not bad.

Although I must admit I'm spoiled by +1,100 lumen 4X Nichia 219 lights. So i'm not effected by output limitations of single emitter 219 lights typically seen around these parts. :D

markr6

Flashaholic
Well I don't have to worry about the tint on my SC52w anymore - the green-tint one was STOLEN last night out of my car. Dammit! I caught them in the act and scared them away with an EA4. Thankfully I still have my other SC52w with a good tint.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I don't have to worry about the tint on my SC52w anymore - the green-tint one was STOLEN last night out of my car. Dammit! I caught them in the act and scared them away with an EA4. Thankfully I still have my other SC52w with a good tint.

What a bummer! Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'll bet you probably has an expensive 14500 in it too! :mad: Well, hopefully the thief(s) will be totally bummed out by the green tint! :rolleyes:
(Or maybe he won't know what a 14500 Li-ion is when he goes to charge it .:devil:)

Last edited:

creyc

Enlightened
Well, hopefully the thief(s) will be totally bummed out by the green tint! :rolleyes:

Haha that's a good one. :D

And then that person comes online looking online for why its so green..stumbles into this thread...mark6 sees him and gets his light back!

But seriously, that's too bad. I'd really hate to lose such a useful tool! That's a shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2