SF's Higher End Lights (compared to 6P) What are the advantages?

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
Do you prefer the combat grip style body? Do you think you'll use the pocket clip? Is hard anodization really necessary? If so, then the M2 will be a great light. However, shock isolation can be achieved simply by buying the Z32 bezel and putting it on your current 6P.

I was not aware of the Z32 bezel. I'll definitely have to get one for my shotgun light. Thanks for the info!

jufam44

Enlightened
I really like the surefire U2 Ultra-great light, dimmable LED is nice, and you can use a 17670 Rechargeable in it, although I can't say it's great for the regulation circuitry.

greenLED

Flashaholic
So, if you own one (or more) of the $85-and-up Surefire lights, could you enlighten me on the features that make them worth it?

It really depends on whether you need (or want) the extra features. Like others have mentioned, some SF models offer multiple stages, different carrying options, switches and other accessories, some are even designed to withstand weapon-mounted recoil, and others have specialized color options for very specific tasks (A2 in Y/G LED, for example).

For my uses, I'm pretty much set with a U2, an L1, and an A2 (OK, a couple of those). That hasn't stopped me from getting an e2, having an M6, and drooling over a bunch of other models. So... need vs want? It's really up to you. :)

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have not had a $190+ light, consider buying one. It may not be brighter or more effecient than any of the really good chinese lights out there, but a AMG M-Benz is not faster or more effecient than a Vette, but there is a noticable difference in the sound you feel and hear when you shut the driver's (or passanger's) door.

That to me is the difference.

Right on, Woodrow!!! I absolutely agree. Very well put.