SPY005 logo design contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackerty

Enlightened
I have done another with a Crow, but I am leaving for home, so I will post it in the morning ( my time )...Seeya

KingSmono

Enlightened
JimH said:
Zackerty,

Take a look at the first post where Data posted the guidelines for the logo. You have to include some reference (preferably visually) to a crow.
NOTE: In that same post, he also says:

Data said:
I hope they [the guidelines] do not limit the creativity of the logo too much. If you do not like the guidelines, then break them!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would someone help me understand ?

If the image is to be .35 inch that's like 5.6 16ths of an inch which is tiny.

So, why say outline work is best and less shading is best?

Some of these images are going to almost disappear at that size.
Do you submit...

180 by 180 or

2.5 inches or

5.6 16ths of an inch

or what?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
IceBreak

The SPY is tiny. The back of it is small. At its widest point on the flat of the battery cap it is under .5". I do not want the image to over power the light. It has to be white, so I want to limit the fill or it will look like a big white dot on the back of the battery cap.

I apologize if this is confusing, I will make it simple. Make your new images 360 x 360 and I will resize them later. Do not resize the ones that have already been submitted. You can just leave the photoshop details to me.

None of these images will disappear at the .30" size. They are stark white on a dark gray background. Take a look at a couple surefire HA lights. Even very small fonts are clearly visible. Print your images at 600 dpi to the .3" size. I have tested it, they look great.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a little update and rule change for all the contest participants and voters.

First I want to say WOW, I had no idea we would get so many entries. Thank you all for your postings and keep them coming. The cut-off for entries is 12 noon (PST) Saturday October 8th. The final vote will take place on Oct 9th and 10th.

Jim and I have been pondering how we are going to handle this huge turnout and have decided on the following. The CPF vote(pole) mechanism is limited to 10 selections. As promised, one of the entries is going to be blank. So I, myself, am going to select 9 of the entered logos to go into the final vote. I will be picking the nine logos based on the most popular (the ones who receive interest), most suitable for the laser engraver technology, and quite simply the ones I think most CPF people would want on their light.

Also, I am planning to format all entries to be the same resolution and size for the vote. Jim will create a separate thread for the vote. It will show all the entries with a unique number assigned to each submission.

Thank you again for all the excellent logos. Please keep the entries coming and have fun with this, I sure am.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood.

Except for the part about how you could make such a cool looking, feature packed, powerful light so danged tiny.

Thanks.

Zackerty

Enlightened
Back at work....Here you go...
crowspy.jpg

LowWorm

Enlightened
Rule changes sound good, Dave. I'm going to narrow down my entries and call it good. Mr. LowWorm thinks I've left him for PhotoShop. ;)

<EDIT...see entries later on in thread>

Thanks for the contest, Dave...this was a lot of fun and there are some good artists here at CPF. :)

Last edited:

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I feel bad that I haven't given an update. I'm working to make a couple of those rough sketches more stylized and to make them better suited to a logo, you know? Because, you know, they look pretty rough. Don't worry. I'll get on it.

I've just been busy, and I usually work on stuff like this at night. I actually had an argument with the girlfriend about this project. I guess that if there's any possible way that designing a logo for a flashlight can become a relationship issue, it will. :ohgeez:

But the design contest was a great idea. There's a LOT of great stuff in this thread. PEU's happy crows are awesome. :laughing:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zackerty,

I like what you've come up with, but remember the logo is going onto a dark surface so you need to change the background from light to dark.

Take for instance the one on the bottom right. You could just invert the colors. One thing to consider is that crows are black. I have no idea if makes a difference or not (for the logo, probably not - just my idle thinking).

Keep up the good work. You are almost there.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zackerty

That is a cool looking crow. It is like he is picking at a worm on the ground. What if he was picking at the letters "SPY", like he was standing on the "S" and picking on the "P". Or like he has pushed the "Y" till it was leaning over.

Dave

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heres my idea (sorry I just threw it together quickly). The green would be just the color of the body, as would the inside of the jet.

sr71-1.gif

SR71SMALL2.gif

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just occurred to me, that with all the great designs being submitted, that the final logo might end up being a combination design - sombody's crow, someone else's lettering, someone else's layout.

Boy, we got some really creative people here. Fortunately for the rest of you I'll spare you the pain of looking at any entries from me - I flunked stick figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.