Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

Someone please help me understand- only the white version has white high and white low correct? It's not amber-low, then white-high? From the specs I was expecting amber-low 5l, amber-high 20l only, but in pictures I see a "WH" and "AMBER" positions (on the same light?)... and an "OFF" position, which I assume that's like a lockout, since there is already a clicky. If anyone understands and can help with my confusion here I'd appreciate an extremely dumbed-down explanation for me.

Wish they could have squeezed in machining costs for a little bit of head crenelation, like the new E1B. But if I'm missing something and this aviator does have a bright White and low amber in the same light, I'd rather have this one.

There is no "white version." All of these new Aviators have four total modes (2 color and 2 white). In the case of amber, you get amber low, amber high, white low, and white high. When you have the head turned to Amber, clicking the tailcap turns on amber low and an additional press will switch to amber high. When the head is set to White, clicking alternates between low white and high white. You always have a low mode and high mode, whether it's the color LED or white LED is determined by the bezel position. The middle position on the bezel, Off, locks the light from accidentally activating either LED.

Hopefully this explanation helps.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perfect, got it. Thanks.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

The old incandescent A2 had the greatest user interface ever. Press lightly for low, press harder for high. For constant, twist a little for low, twist more for high. I kinda wish the new A2 reincarnated the old switch, but I guess it could be a bit awkward trying to use a light that twists at both ends. I do like the new A2 an awful lot.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the sake of clarity I would respectfully point out that there is no "new A2" - the new light's name is simply "Aviator", with no "A2" involved. :)

yowzer

Enlightened

The old incandescent A2 had the greatest user interface ever. Press lightly for low, press harder for high. For constant, twist a little for low, twist more for high. I kinda wish the new A2 reincarnated the old switch, but I guess it could be a bit awkward trying to use a light that twists at both ends. I do like the new A2 an awful lot.

Surefire discontinued all their remaining lights using that UI a few years ago. It's a damn shame, too.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks RobertM, that is how I figured they would work. I didn't know about the lock out. That is a cool little touch.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire discontinued all their remaining lights using that UI a few years ago. It's a damn shame, too.
The best SF UI (IMHO) and perhaps...just perhaps.. THE BEST UI EVER.

Obiwanjak

Newly Enlightened

For actual flying, particularly tactical aviation, the A2 Aviator was the worst possible interface. The difference between a night vision compatible low lumen green and a brilliant white crew-blinding high beam was just a few millimeters on the rear switch. Lights that lock out white and / or high lumen outputs are much more suitable for aviation use. Nothing wrong with the A2 interface, just a misnomer since that light also had the "aviator" name.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

For actual flying, particularly tactical aviation, the A2 Aviator was the worst possible interface. The difference between a night vision compatible low lumen green and a brilliant white crew-blinding high beam was just a few millimeters on the rear switch. Lights that lock out white and / or high lumen outputs are much more suitable for aviation use. Nothing wrong with the A2 interface, just a misnomer since that light also had the "aviator" name.

Exactly.

People may pine for the old A2 but this new one takes a deliberate motion to light it up on white, no surprises.

Starting on "red" low mode is also great for its intented use.

For pre flighting, the TIR with 250 lumens and a lot better runtime also does better,, IMHO. Starts with 5 lumens for looking closely at panels, pitot tubes, etc and 250 lumens for looking up at wings and rudders.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened

I got mine yesterday! It has quickly become my favorite flashlight I own. I am very impressed with it! The tint is absolutely perfect! I love the modes, secondary color, everything!

bovie

Newly Enlightened

I'm having a hard time deciding between Red and Yellow Green. One of the responses earlier in this thread was the 3 or .3 lumens of Yellow Green in low was pretty bright. For those of you with Yellow Green how off putting is it in Low? and Low Light? The runtimes for high if they are really correct are really hard to ignore. Any other thoughts?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Exactly.

People may pine for the old A2 but this new one takes a deliberate motion to light it up on white, no surprises.

Starting on "red" low mode is also great for its intented use.

For pre flighting, the TIR with 250 lumens and a lot better runtime also does better,, IMHO. Starts with 5 lumens for looking closely at panels, pitot tubes, etc and 250 lumens for looking up at wings and rudders.
Having zero knowledge of aviation, I will defer to those with actual expertise. The UI always worked well for me, but I never got within 50ft of a cockpit: I just used them for poking around in the woods. For the rest of us, the lack of instant switching from color to white and low-flood to high-spot beam makes it seem more like the E1L than the old A2 in use, just low to high in one color, with the same beam profile. If this light actually works better for pilots and aircrew, great.

Just out of curiosity, what works better in an aviation setting, the red or yellow-green secondary LEDs? Does it depend upon the type of aircraft flown, or whether we are talking about a pilot or aircrew member not actually in the cockpit?

hcd615

Enlightened

I got mine yesterday! It has quickly become my favorite flashlight I own. I am very impressed with it! The tint is absolutely perfect! I love the modes, secondary color, everything!

What secondary LED color did you purchase? I bought the Yellow / Green and like it a lot. I liked the extra long runtimes....

bovie

Newly Enlightened

What secondary LED color did you purchase? I bought the Yellow / Green and like it a lot. I liked the extra long runtimes....

Can you please post some beam shots of the Yellow / Green? and any other thoughts to share about the color?

Obiwanjak

Newly Enlightened

In the tactical aviation world, cockpit lighting and flashlights are generally yellow / green. This causes less blooming on night vision (which is particularly sensitive to red lighting). That allows you to use an interior light without washing out your night vision exterior vision.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the tactical aviation world, cockpit lighting and flashlights are generally yellow / green. This causes less blooming on night vision (which is particularly sensitive to red lighting). That allows you to use an interior light without washing out your night vision exterior vision.

And, in the airliner world, I haven't seen red or even colored cockpit lighting for the past couple of decades. Seems like some of the 727's twenty-five years ago had red map lights with a twist switching mechanism for white, kinda like the Aviator. And all the charts and pubs are on a tablet at most airlines these days, so the dim light is for stuff like finding the hotel pen you dropped under the rudder pedals. ;)

Pilots in the U.S. are required by federal law to carry a flashlight but I doubt that many will ever carry a SF Aviator. Still, it's an interesting light for us here on CPF. :thumbsup:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone else's Aviator seem to flicker at times when on low?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's the PWM. It's always flickering but you just only see it sometimes!
I assume your's does it as well?
I've had some PWM controlled lights before, but this acts a little strange in that it isn't just a fast strobe/flicker, but it looks like the actual output varies a bit as it flickers. It doesn't do it all the time either. I suppose it could still be PWM though. Hmm...

BugoutBoys

Enlightened

I assume your's does it as well?
I've had some PWM controlled lights before, but this acts a little strange in that it isn't just a fast strobe/flicker, but it looks like the actual output varies a bit as it flickers. It doesn't do it all the time either. I suppose it could still be PWM though. Hmm...
I have noticed the same with mine. I don't know if it is legitimate output flicker or if my eyes just occasionally pick it up and it looks like it. Hmmm