Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

Well I guess I won't be buying any of these now. Olight, when is that X7R coming out? I need one before we blow NK off the map.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened

So my question.. Why is this flashlight $300? What warrants the price being that much? I mean that is a ton of money for a flashlight. Is the technology in this thing really that good? Where does that price come from? Especially if they don't have enough QC to make sure the LED is centered or that there aren't fingerprints on the TIR optic.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

So my question.. Why is this flashlight $300? What warrants the price being that much? I mean that is a ton of money for a flashlight. Is the technology in this thing really that good? Where does that price come from? Especially if they don't have enough QC to make sure the LED is centered or that there aren't fingerprints on the TIR optic.

As a sf addict (in recovery) Id have had no problem falling off the wagon to splurge for one, but yeah between reports of visible pwm & qc issues, no way. I was so excited the tails are now e compatible too- had a defender tail cap sitting around just waiting for something like this.

To the E1B-MV thread!

BugoutBoys

Enlightened

Last question! Someone asked it but it wasn't answered. Has anyone put a rechargeable 3.7v in the Aviator? Will it work?

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

I can report that my Amber aviator flickers slightly on low Amber mode only. Only when it's beam is close to a wall can I notice it.

I used it on a night hike at my local state park and didn't notice the flickering when illuminating the foot path. It lights up the path but you can still enjoy the stars.

I can also report that there is a small scratch inside the sealed lens.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guess I'll hold off getting an amber Aviator with these flickering and other QC issues. Or any other new SF for that matter. I find it hard to believe SF using PWM on a $300 light, and the defects seem really blatant. What is up there at SF? I've had a couple dozen SureFires over the last ten years and have NEVER had any problem whatsoever with any of them. This sounds atrocious. Have things really gone that far down hill?

bovie

Newly Enlightened

Optics Planet. Should be here tomorrow

Let us know if it has any issues. I'm going back and forth on what to get with all the YG issues I've been thinking Red or Amber but I kind make up my mind between the three. As for the QC I don't get it every Surefire light I've owned for 15 years has been perfect and for lack of a better term bullet proof, I'd trust my life to them and I can't say I can say that for many other flashlight vendors. I guess I can just hope I get one without any issues.

bovie

Newly Enlightened

@bugoutboys How does the light and high blue compare to the low white? Also when you notice the flicker is it on White or just the Blue?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened

@bugoutboys How does the light and high blue compare to the low white? Also when you notice the flicker is it on White or just the Blue?

The low blue on mine seems almost as bright as low white. High blue definitely "feels" brighter than low white. The flicker is only on low white but I actually can't even really notice it at all. It's very very subtle!

chilidog

Newly Enlightened
I was planning on purchasing one in yellow green soon. The only reason I haven't already is because nobody will ship this to an APO because of the lithium battery. I wish they gave you the option of purchasing these without batteries. But now you guys have me questioning my decision. I'll be home in less than a month and will decide then. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this light. Keep them coming!

rightmid

Newly Enlightened
My Yellow/green Aviator 2017 arrived two days ago. To be honest, I love most everything about it -- and there's no flicker. The one thing that gives me pause is -- I was looking for something with a low setting low enough that it wouldn't blast my night vision. I thought .3 lumens in yellow/green might be a great solution. But the moment I turned it on, the thought went across my head -- "Whoa, that doesn't seem like 1/3 lumens." Now we know why. It's apparently 10 times that brightness. So now I'm torn. It's such a great light. Except it's soooo crazy bright, right? Does anyone have the red? It's supposed to be just 1 lumen. (Did it turn out to be *10* instead?) Seriously, would you say it's easier on the dark-adapted eye? Either way, it's crazy that the red doesn't give us any more battery life. And -- to be fair -- in a pitch-black room, with the light standing up like a torch on its tailcap, reflecting off the ceiling, it's pretty much perfect illumination (until I look toward the source, that is).

Please help me make this decision.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
My Yellow/green Aviator 2017 arrived two days ago. To be honest, I love most everything about it -- and there's no flicker. The one thing that gives me pause is -- I was looking for something with a low setting low enough that it wouldn't blast my night vision. I thought .3 lumens in yellow/green might be a great solution. But the moment I turned it on, the thought went across my head -- "Whoa, that doesn't seem like 1/3 lumens." Now we know why. It's apparently 10 times that brightness. So now I'm torn. It's such a great light. Except it's soooo crazy bright, right? Does anyone have the red? It's supposed to be just 1 lumen. (Did it turn out to be *10* instead?) Seriously, would you say it's easier on the dark-adapted eye? Either way, it's crazy that the red doesn't give us any more battery life. And -- to be fair -- in a pitch-black room, with the light standing up like a torch on its tailcap, reflecting off the ceiling, it's pretty much perfect illumination (until I look toward the source, that is).

Please help me make this decision.

I agree completely. I got the Blue version which is supposed to be I believe 0.4 lumens low on blue, but it is enough to safely see an entire room if you ceiling bounce it. It's definitely brighter than I expected. But oh well, better than 15 lumen white low of most SF lights.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
DSC_6305_zps8m0z1d9j.jpg

DSC_6306_zpsfiuyxcxr.jpg

DSC_6313_zpslbomuf1i.jpg