Surefire Customer Service

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize every ones experiences are different, but I had a tech tell me they do not respond to email-ever. I agree they should remove the email contact form, but I also have to say EVERY time I have called, the customer service has been excellent. I have sent 3 lights back for work and been very impressed with their timing and quality of work. Just my experience. I think one phone call would be worth it(Msf-I don't know what happened but I would recommend one more call-there is the possibility the person you spoke with had an emergency and has been off work or even as simple as losing your number. One more call to get your light fixed seems reasonable, but of course the end decision is always yours)...

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is really crazy though is that this isn't some long dead, resurrected thread from 15-20 years ago. These are all recent, reasonably new experiences with their customer service.

I am thankful I have never had need to contact them even though I live in the same time zone and only a couple of states away. I work nights and tend to sleep all day during normal business hours. I don't understand how any company who considers themselves innovative or modern can eschew all of the advantages of using this "modern technology" and expect people and other companies to still do business with them. How can they expect to remain in business let alone competitive? Of course I am sure there are many arguments as to whether or not they remain either.

I wonder if it's just a numbers thing where they expect a certain number of failures due to QC and simply don't care to remedy them even to retain customers. You paid them good money for a light that they would have tossed out anyway so they just leave it.

I dunno...I still think they have some great lights, I just can't afford any of their newer ones. I wonder if they care (as a business) if so many of their lights live on after EoL thanks to all of the aftermarket mods out there.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do agree that in this day and age an International Company could make an effort to aswer Emails.
No contact from them yet.
Think I'll strip it down and rebuild it
P

just like me

Banned
I'm not sure I understand the detailed yet not exactly specified complaint that customer service is taking too long. It seems perfectly ordinary to me that any RMA for any product might take even 2 months to return a repair or replacement. I understand there are customer service outfits that can turn much around faster. I have seen Apple do turn arounds within days, but Apple has streamlined and optimized their services, and they have the ability to so this. And so what if Apple can do it... it doesn't really reflect on what others are able to do. Hardly any companies I can readily name are as streamlined as Apple in this regard. If I had a Surefire RMA turnaround in three weeks, I'd be mildly shocked, not because of their reputation, but because 6 weeks turnaround seems perfectly ordinary, and I wouldn't even begin to get worried about it until the 8 week mark.

Where do you guys get your idea that customer service should be fast? Who has spoiled you? Please tell me, I must know!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do you guys get your idea that customer service should be fast? Who has spoiled you? Please tell me, I must know!

I think the point is that the OP emailed SF customer services three weeks ago and hasn't received any response at all, never mind an RMA!!!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had good luck with SF in the past on a few occasions. Also there now defunct Parts Express was great. I was sad to see it go away. It saddens me to see them possibly now not giving quality after sale service.

On a Customer Service footnote, I just had to send my Elzetta Alpha back to TN for repairs. It was flickering in Low mode. I read it is possibly a issue with the High/Low switch? I contacted them via the website, I had a response within 24 hrs. Shipped light to them upon their receiving the light it took them 2 days to fix it and send it back to me. Yes, they probably just changed tail caps, but still. All the while they sent confirmation emails. Needless to say, I was not impressed by the light needing repairs, but was impressed with the CS. I did have to pay shipping one way. They even sent it with a fresh CR123 cell. Thought that was a neat touch.
I say that to say, there still seems to be some good flashlight companies out there. Don't give up hope. lol

Warp

Enlightened

Most companies I deal with or would deal with. Flashlight realm, Zebralight and Fenix so far have far outclassed Surefire (product and customer service both)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should buy a gun (if you don't already have one,) get into reloading, buy a Dillon reloading press and then have something get lost, break, or get blown up via your own stupidity.

It's already in the mail before you hang up the phone, at no cost whatsoever.

They and SF seem to be similar in that regard, or did.

Chris

masakari

Newly Enlightened
Bought a new E1D. It came with a single mode head instead of the normal head, and it's not crenelated. Probably the head from a mini Scout.
I called surefire and left my info for a call back. Still haven't received a call, 6 days later.
I called again 2 days later and got someone. They told me to email pictures. I did, and haven't received a response.
I called again, and have been on hold for 2.5 hours. What the hell is going on? How can they possibly be so busy that they can't answer the phone for 2.5 hours, can't call back, and can't email? I just want to send it in for replacement!
In the past, their customer service has always been great to me. I don't understand what is happening now.

WDR65

Enlightened
I called Surefire the week before last and was connected with someone in customer service within ten minutes. I just had a quick question, but every time I've used them in the past for actual issues they've responded quickly and fixed the problem. I don't trust email for anything like that, though I realize being overseas makes that a bit more complicated.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think time of day matters too.

I called them on my lunch break on a Monday (noon east coast) and after waiting 30 minutes "for the next available rep" it dawned on me that I was calling them first thing Monday morning their time.

I called 'em back at 5:30 the next day (2:30 their time) and got through quickly.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm glad you guys at least are able to get a response. You are the target market after all. Still trying to get the head off my P3X, and it ain't giving in. I've done it to 3 P2Xs so it's only a matter of time. Just put an overdriven Nichia in one of them - pretty good.
P

Coolhand68

Newly Enlightened
Last year I called them to get an RMA for a light that had a really bad green tint. Spent an hour on hold, only to have a representative ask me over and over again what I meant by green tint, as though I was the first customer to ever complain about this. When I finally convinced him to accept it and got the RMA, it took about a month to get a replacement light. The replacement light has the exact same ugly tint, so obviously no one took the time to look at what I sent in and what was being sent back to me.

I'm honestly tired of the Surefire tint lottery. It's been 50/50 in recent years. I purchase a Surefire and cross my fingers that I'll get one without some ugly tint or rings in the beam. Consistency isn't a top priority, perhaps the emphasis is to keep large purchases happy (military/law enforcement contracts?) and not worry about the occasional OCD customer who hunts his walls with flashlights. I know, it may sound somewhat petty, but for those of us who collect lights, beam tint matters. I'm also not crazy about the actual body color lottery of green or grey or a mix of both in one light. Can't tell you how many LX2s I've had that had a mish-mash of green and grey parts put together, new out of the box. Unfortunately I don't have a location nearby where I can try out the light I want to buy first.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Type in Surefire color tint into the google search box at the top of this page. wealth of info available there.

Bill

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I saw something on the SF website about a 30 day satisfaction warranty. IDK the details or if tint issues are covered but check it out, might make purchase decisions easier.

just like me

Banned
I think this thread should be kept alive with as many shared anacdotal customer service experiences as possible. I have learned a little more about Surefire: 500 employees, massive government contracts. How many customer service representatives do you think Surefire has employed, how big is that department in a company of 500?

I have worked in customer service, and it all comes down to individuals, and especially the experience of the managers (unlike in most tech spaces where managers are more or less dead weight). Customer service can be very streamlined even in a small company, like the startup software company I worked for... but when I left, half the employees worked in customer service, because most of the developers were laid off after the 1.0 revision was completed and released. This is untasteful, but ordinary and often necessary in software startups, which must stretch their capital investments until something turns a profit, and which is a completely different animal to manufacturing physical machines (if we can agree that a flashlight is a machine).

Just looking at the size of the Surefire customer base, I would estimate that a good, functional customer service department would need at least 500 employees just in customer service. I bet Surefire has far less than 50 individuals employed as customer service.

At some point, successful private companies outgrow their britches and need to go public to support their customer base, but I could only speculate why Surefire has remained a privately owned company. The answer would not be as simple as greed, because a company like Surefire going public would instantly make the owners filthy rich beyond anyone's dreams, as well as make every current employee independently weathy. Even the part-time masseuses at Google retired to independent wealth when Google went public. A reason to stay private might be that the US Government required Surefire to in order to keep military technology in the US. But this is just wild speculation on my part.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Maybe, just maybe, they want to stay private to stay true to their visions and make the products they see fit to rather than have to answer to shareholders and bean counters. :)

Edit- Also, just speculation on my part...