Surefire Discontinued Models - Anyone Stocking Up?

Mikellen

Enlightened
Hello, with most of the incan models being discontinued this is an end to an era for Surefire. When the earlier round body/bezel 6Ps and 3Ps were discontinued I wasn't a flashoholic then so I didn't have an opportunity to purchase some of those lights before they were sold out. Now if you have one of those earlier models new in package they are worth quite a bit of money. With the current demise of the incan models, I feel I should be stocking up on some 6P LEDs, C2s (black), and Z2s.

Does anyone else feel this way? If so which models do you think would be the most popular if they were to be sold in say.... 5, 10, or 15 years. I know there are some great deals right now on 6PLs, and black C2s. Just wondering if it would be wise to purchase as many as I could afford and hold onto them for years to come.

Anyone think "New in Package" discontinued 6PLs and black C2s will be desirable in 5-15 years?

Thanks.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led's are getting bigger and brighter. They run hotter. Today's Quad P60 dropins already can't be run on high for more than a few minutes before the heat builds up. In 5-15 years, LED's will be running even hotter and our old C2 bodies that aren't up to the task now won't be up to the task then.

Grab a couple for yourself or your collection, but don't think that in 15 years we'll still be trying to cram drop-ins into the old SF bodies.

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened
I'm more worried about having a couple spare bezels and clicky tailcaps on hand in case the ones I have now either break or the switch becomes defective and SF can't replace it under warranty because they stopped making the incan parts. The tailcaps should still be made but I can understand the bezels not being made anymore as their LED lights are no longer P60-style drop-in compatible.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda what knuckles said..but, how much will a mint black Z44 go for in 10 years? When us "old timers" want to rebuild a classic, and all the good Z44's have since disappeared...I imagine they'll be worth a bit more than they are now...so, you could stock up on whole lights with the hope of selling the parts down the road..kinda like stocking up on SW02's...

Paladin

Enlightened
Not really stocking up. But I did get another M4 from LaPoliceGear, a KT2 in ha for a C-head 2x18650 Leef body, and an E2D from Midway to host a KL4-BK that was lying around.

eta: what is a fair price for Z44's? I noticed at least three in my spare parts box. also three Z59 tailcaps.

Paladin

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will buy a few more lamps. MN20s, MN60s, MN03s, MN02s, and A02s. As long as Surefire keeps the 9P, M3/T, and G2 in production I should be set. I can always run the MN10/MN15 in my M6 and M6 w/M3 bezel (the Sea Cucumber).

emac

Newly Enlightened
I am picking up a couple lights I hadn't yet gotten around to purchasing. Just for their incandescent use. I have no plans of upgrading them to dropins. The news did kind of force my hand to purchase before I was ready.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few I would like to get especially at the low clearance prices but I really don't have the funds.In some cases I want the lights as incans and there are others I would use for LED hosts.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unforunately I'm getting rid of some...but let there be no doubt, I will be replacing them when I get out of my bind!

Xacto

Enlightened
Count me in. Although I try to stock up on lights with the P60L, but nonetheless any 6P incan I come across in a b&m shop will be bought. Since it isn't OOP, I leave the 2 SF9P still in the shops, as soon as that changes I will get them.

I seldom need more than 100 lumens so the dropin type of light is okay for me. I do not like the glued head type lights because I would hate to send a complete light halfway around the globe to replace a broken lens. Although I (accidentially) just got a SF Z2X, I doubt that I will carry it often because of the above stated reasons.

Cheers
Thorsten

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just something to note, I spoke with someone from surefire the other day while inquiring about a blown lamp assembly, and he told me that surefire still has a pretty good stock of incan lamps and parts available and that they will continute to support their incandescent line for as long as possible. FWIW

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread reminds me that I should stock up on N90 incandescent modules, $65.00 each is what they're fetching down here right now... time to perhaps exercise my Google-fu! :thumbsup:

Xacto

Enlightened
Count me in. Although I try to stock up on lights with the P60L, but nonetheless any 6P incan I come across in a b&m shop will be bought. Since it isn't OOP, I leave the 2 SF9P still in the shops, as soon as that changes I will get them.

I seldom need more than 100 lumens so the dropin type of light is okay for me. I do not like the glued head type lights because I would hate to send a complete light halfway around the globe to replace a broken lens. Although I (accidentially) just got a SF Z2X, I doubt that I will carry it often because of the above stated reasons.

Cheers
Thorsten

Addendum: Additionally I withdrew 2 6P hosts and one Z2 from the EDC rotation. Since they are in a near mint state, I relegated them to the spares area, especially after I discovered this afternoon that in the Z2X light the + contact is not a spring anymore like in the P60 dropins.

Cheers
Thorsten

DM11

Newly Enlightened
I`m not really trying to stock up but I`ve bought three 6P`s lately. A 6P-GM, 6P w/ NRA logo and a 6PL. There are just variations of the 6P but they were also on sale so since I like the 6P I took advantage of the good prices.

bstrickler

Enlightened
There are a few I would like to get especially at the low clearance prices but I really don't have the funds.In some cases I want the lights as incans and there
are others I would use for LED hosts.

Same here for the funds. I want to buy a couple, but without a job, I'm kinda screwed. Plus, I end up spending all my money on my other hobby, airsoft (dang guns and mags are expensive. $40/pop for a mag, and $400+ for the guns I want).

~Brian

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
In the last 3 months, I've bought a 6P Original, 6P Defender, E1e, A2 Aviator, and C2 Centurion. All of them were very deeply discounted. I didn't pay even close to MSRP for any of them. So yes, I guess I did "stock up". I'm also discovering how great Lumens Factory drop-in lamps are. The EO-E1R took the E1e from a 15 lumen novelty flashlight, to a 60-ish lumen pocket rocket. The tints are better than stock Surefire bulbs, too. I just wish there was a way to run the stock P60 lamps with rechargeable batteries, but again, that's what Lumens Factory lamps are for I guess.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have enough lamps to last me the rest of my life.

Surfire discontinuing most of the Millennium series and the Executive Elites has rendered half of my collection obsolete.

It is interesting to note that Surefire is still selling the E series tailcaps.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have enough lamps to last me the rest of my life.

Surfire discontinuing most of the Millennium series and the Executive Elites has rendered half of my collection obsolete.

It is interesting to note that Surefire is still selling the E series tailcaps.

Actually, Kelmo, they've just recently (last day or two) taken some of the lights off the endangered species list. The 6P and E1e are back, I know that much.

scout24

Flashaholic
As others have stated, not so much stocking up as picking up a few I liked, but never got around to... Bulbs, yes. Stocking up... :)