Surefire E1B Backup (Pics Included)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How does the Surefire E1B compare to the Novatac 120P?

IMHO the two lights you mention are very different maybe too different for a even and fair comparison.
I will give it a shot.

Beams.
Surefire E1B is all narrow hotspot with only a very vague side spill.
Novatec has a much wider beam with a very smooth transition between hotspot and side spill. Beams are very different.
One thing which is interesting to note here is that the NogaTac uses a reflector. The E1B uses a Very high quality TIR optic.

Battery. E1B primary only. Novatac anything goes.
UI.
Novatac has a simple to use complex to setup UI with lots of options. The levels are user set and things like SOS and strobe are available.
Surefire has none of that. Hi and LOW that is it. Low is available only if you click the switch 2x within a couple of seconds.

Brightness.
My E1B is brighter that my Novatac. YMMV.

Size:. They are close.
Clip? TheE1B clip is a masterwork being very versatile allowing the light to be mounted on a baseball cap securely and with ease. The clip works well with bales as well as jeans. The Novatac clip is almost an afterthought. One has to remove an O-ring to install the Novatac clip.

Switch. E1B switch has a nice tactile feel. it has some travel and has good feedback.
The Novatac switch is little more than a slight dimple short throw with little feedback.
Tail standing.
The Novatac does it and the E1B doesn't.

Price.
E1B $110.00
Novatac $189.95

Both lights are made in the USA and are of high quality.
The fit and finish on both lights is typical of High quality USA manufacturing with close attention to detail.

Again these lights are very different. Other than form factor they almost couldn't be more different.

Yaesumofo

Very nice review, pictures, and followup.

I'm curious about this light and the Novatac 120P.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison between these 2 lights from a "best EDC" perspective?

:popcorn:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is completly transparent to the user. If you did not know the light was able to go to a low mode a person could go for a long time without even knowing that the light is able to do this.

Yaesumofo, I more or less agree with you, but not completely. I have had several occasions where I've "bobbled" (for lack of a better word) the switch and unintentionally gone into low. I'm not sure this would be likely in a stress situation because probably the user would "put the pedal to the metal" and latch it in high mode, but if the grip slipped a little, it could happen that you wound up in low when you didn't mean to.

Overall, I give it very high marks. Time will tell whether I get better accustomed to the UI.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
I have had my E1B Backup for about a week now and I really do like this light. As others have noted, the light is very bright for a stated 80 lumens on high. That was the first thing that caught my attention. I agree also that it is a big change from knurled to melted, in regards to handling. One thing I wish that it included, was a good way to attach a lanyard to this nice light. As far as I can tell the best way to carry it, like around my neck, would be to use the super cool dual clip. But I don't want to do that, so for EDC it's either in my pocket, hooked to a belt/pants, or my main carry option is to use a multi-tool pouch with cover flap and a solid webbed-type loop for a belt. I do like this E1B very much and I believe SureFire has crafted another masterpiece IMO, YMMV.

H2Orower

Enlightened
One thing I wish that it included, was a good way to attach a lanyard to this nice light.

You could always get yourself a Z68 tailcap which would provide you with 4 small holes large enough to attach a lanyard ring.

img1152ik5.jpg

chaoss

Enlightened
H2Orower, thanks so much for posting this photo With the Z68 tailcap. I just ordered one for my inbound E1B. The flare-end and knurling along with tailstand ability will make this one nice EDC torch.
It looks like this cap will add a little to the OAL but it's a non issue for my needs. :thanks:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just wondering if you had actually ever used an E1B and experienced it's UI?
I ask because IMHO Surefire really does have a winner. Why? It is easy to be critical of things which are new or if we haven't tried them first hand.
Personally I find it very difficult to fault the E1B's user interface.
It is completly transparent to the user. If you did not know the light was able to go to a low mode a person could go for a long time without even knowing that the light is able to do this. Why because when a person uses a light they turn it on and use it. using only a single click. Low requires 2 clicks within a short period of time.
Unless you want to go to the LOW mode you would almost never even know it is there.
The UI is such that LOW is only activated when you want it to be there.
Otherwise it is not in the way or even noticed.
IMHO this is a HUGE improvement over prior surefire single cell lights with only one level.

The second level is optional.
I think that Surefire worked hard to create a non invasive User Interface to the current range of flashlights. IMHO they have done a fine job.
Of the Current crop of Surefire lights the E1B is the brightest single cell light they make.
The E2D and the E1B look to me to be a perfect pair.

If you haven't tried it first hand I highly recommend that you do. It is absolutely a step in the right direction.
Yaesumofo

Yeasumofo,

Yes, I have owned (but have given away) an E1B. I actually think that it is a great light, and as mentioned, have come to appreciate the high-level-first feature. I do agree that the interface is fairly transparent to the user, but that does not necessarily make it the best UI for me.

If I am looking for a dual stage light, then my favorite is the A2/L1/PD type...slight press for low, then full press for high. I ALWAYS know what level of light I will get based upon how hard I press. I like having immediate access to the different levels without having to guess, or wait for it.

For the E1B, I know that from an off position, I will get the high level first...but only after a set amount of time has passed, and there is no way for me to get directly to low.

In the big picture it is not a big deal, however, I know that the person I gave the light to will enjoy it much more than I did.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There really is a lot to appreciate about the E1B.

I find it interesting that as things like time march along we are given little gems like the E1b.
With this light we are able to see how new technology is implemented in a flashlight like the tir optic and the two stage design of the light.
Funny how just a couple of years ago a flashlight (LED) with more than one level was quite rare and unusual. I get the idea that Surefire designed the E1B to operate just like a single level light. And it does. I think that is pretty darn cool. When the LOW is engaged I find it to be very useful.

I have many lights. I have a number of McGizmo Pd's and others which always come on low first.
Since to me those lights are a basic utility flashlight in a slightly different category than the E1B it is a good thing that they come on low first.
There is no doubt that there are good arguments for both sides of the argument. IMHO treating the E1B as a single cell light which has an auxiliary mode is a good way for me to look at it.
Have fun don't get lost in the dark.
Yaesumofo

Yaesumofo,

Yes, I have owned (but have given away) an E1B. I actually think that it is a great light, and as mentioned, have come to appreciate the high-level-first feature. I do agree that the interface is fairly transparent to the user, but that does not necessarily make it the best UI for me.

If I am looking for a dual stage light, then my favorite is the A2/L1/PD type...slight press for low, then full press for high. I ALWAYS know what level of light I will get based upon how hard I press. I like having immediate access to the different levels without having to guess, or wait for it.

For the E1B, I know that from an off position, I will get the high level first...but only after a set amount of time has passed, and there is no way for me to get directly to low.

In the big picture it is not a big deal, however, I know that the person I gave the light to will enjoy it much more than I did.

H2Orower

Enlightened
H2Orower, thanks so much for posting this photo With the Z68 tailcap. I just ordered one for my inbound E1B. The flare-end and knurling along with tailstand ability will make this one nice EDC torch.
It looks like this cap will add a little to the OAL but it's a non issue for my needs. :thanks:

You're welcome. Glad you like it. I wish I could take credit for thinking of such a great combo, but I got the idea from a couple other members whose posts I saw over in the "flashlight collecting" forum. Enjoy your E1B w/ Z68!:thumbsup:

Speaking of tailstanding, I posted a couple additional pics of my E1B click here over in the collecting forum.

Beautiful!! :thumbsup:

Thanks. It's definitely my favorite, so far.:twothumbs

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I just got one of these for my girlfriend... and I haven't been able to put it down. It's an incredibly tiny little tool that produces an enormous amount of light. It gives my BOG Super Premium Plus Q5 drop-in in a 6PL a run for it's money.

I'm going to have to get one for myself now (and splurge for a Malkoff apparently, I love the beam profile of the optic!).

H2Orower

Enlightened
I love that look! Thanks for the idea....I may have to steal it :sssh:

Go for it. :poke:I stole the idea myself. Besides the look, it really does add to the "useability" of the light. When I first got my E1B, I loved the light except for the fact that it always felt like it was squirting out of my hand when I pressed the clickie. I find that the Z68 flared end along with the little bit of knurling makes a tremendous improvement.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1B won't run on an RCR123? I had (had as in I lost it, I'm an idiot I know) a KL-1 4th gen on a E1e body that did fine. Is this a known fact? i use only li ion 123's now, since I am not as flush anymore with $$. VG

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Go for it. :poke:I stole the idea myself. Besides the look, it really does add to the "useability" of the light. When I first got my E1B, I loved the light except for the fact that it always felt like it was squirting out of my hand when I pressed the clickie. I find that the Z68 flared end along with the little bit of knurling makes a tremendous improvement.

That is an excellent Idea if I do say. I might like to do a set up like that. Well, after around 3 weeks this E1B is truly a nice torch. I must have received (no patent numbers on mine/common?) because I would swear its way past 80 lumens. More like 120+. Yes, it is a different feel from above in your msg in blue. I practice a good deal because it's close partner is next to it some of the views.

http://www.50magnum.com/e1bcarry.htm

blinder switch

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1B won't run on an RCR123? I had (had as in I lost it, I'm an idiot I know) a KL-1 4th gen on a E1e body that did fine. Is this a known fact? i use only li ion 123's now, since I am not as flush anymore with $$. VG

Bump for info on running a RCR123 in the E1B... VG

m3m4

Newly Enlightened
You could always get yourself a Z68 tailcap which would provide you with 4 small holes large enough to attach a lanyard ring.

img1152ik5.jpg

Sorry noob question.
How much longer is the Z68 tailcap to the original tailcap?

Thanks

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me see if I understand...

If I have a Backup, I can use the E2D LED tailclickie, for example ?

No problem if the Backup is 1xCR123 and the E2D LED is 2xCR123 ??

H2Orower

Enlightened
Let me see if I understand...

If I have a Backup, I can use the E2D LED tailclickie, for example ?

No problem if the Backup is 1xCR123 and the E2D LED is 2xCR123 ??

That's right! :thumbsup: Any Surefire E-series tailcap will work, regardless of whether it's from a one cell light or two (that includes an E2D defender, original or LED). I tried my E2DL cap on my E1B and it looks and works great. It was a very similar appearance to the Z68 that I have on here now.

Latest posts