SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It feels like they made a mistake and made the groove too wide on this batch, so they had to add an extra flat ring to keep the main ring from wobbling and working well. We need to look at this place after some time and after several batches of lanterns. While it's unlikely they'll change the blueprint, it's cheaper to just add a ring each time
Unfortunately, I think you're right.
Definitely made the right decision when I decided to wait until just after New Year's before picking one of these up.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two o rings on mine as well. The flat ring arrived twisted up, but I was able to flatten it out. While not bone dry, the threads and o rings were somewhat under greased.

IMG_1706.jpeg

Surefire battery arrived at 3.66 volts. With a freshly charged Keepower 3500, my very cheap meter reads 2.88 amps at the tail cap on high and 0.05 on low.

On a white wall my sample has no noticeable green in the hotspot, corona or spill. The tint is pleasant for a cool white light. The corona does have a kind of pinwheel shape that is not noticeable in normal use. Low mode appears dimmer than 25 lumens.

Outdoors, this light has excellent reach and the spill is bright enough and very usable.

IMG_1707.jpeg

Werkz Holsters has a good video review on YouTube of the Turbo Scout lights which have identical specs to the EDC1 & 2. At around two minutes, their graph shows a drop to 470 lumens on the 18650 model and 385 lumens on the 18350 model.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
1695975653760.png

This is Modlight from their website, I only see 1 ring. The thread is compatible with SF. Does anyone have current SF DF Scout models for weapons? I found a photo from one of the reviews on the net, it seems there is 1 ring

1695976077382.png

ColeLLD

Newly Enlightened
View attachment 49873

This is Modlight from their website, I only see 1 ring. The thread is compatible with SF. Does anyone have current SF DF Scout models for weapons? I found a photo from one of the reviews on the net, it seems there is 1 ring

View attachment 49875
I have a relatively recent Scout Light Pro. Only one O-ring, just like the one in the photo you found.

I also have a Weltool BB3 body, which is compatible with the 600DF threads. Only one O-ring.

EDIT: Same with my Modlite 18350 handheld.

Personally I doubt SureFire would make such a silly mistake across a huge batch of lights. CNC machining a groove for an O-ring is a very simple operation. Unless you guys have seen them make similar mistakes in the past?

I have had O-rings fail on handhelds. To be fair, I swap out batteries daily. Perhaps the double O-ring allows for greater longevity, or it's redundancy in case one fails.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a relatively recent Scout Light Pro. Only one O-ring, just like the one in the photo you found.

I also have a Weltool BB3 body, which is compatible with the 600DF threads. Only one O-ring.

EDIT: Same with my Modlite 18350 handheld.

Personally I doubt SureFire would make such a silly mistake across a huge batch of lights. CNC machining a groove for an O-ring is a very simple operation. Unless you guys have seen them make similar mistakes in the past?

I have had O-rings fail on handhelds. To be fair, I swap out batteries daily. Perhaps the double O-ring allows for greater longevity, or it's redundancy in case one fails.
You may be right, but scout lights only have 1 mode, that is, the batteries will be depleted faster than on a flashlight with 2 modes, and you need to change them more often, that is, the wear on the ring should be greater. But this is all speculation until SF officially clarifies this

Enlightened
I have noticed that on older e series lights, the O-ring can get damaged where the pocket clip slots into the body, even with the little plastic insert behidn the pocket clip.

I wonder if the gasket is to stop this from happening and to provide a flat surface for the oring to sit on.

In a (expensive) flurry of trying out the EDC2-DFT, and Modlite PLHv2 and OKW, my favorite configuration is the EDC2-DFT head on the 18350 Modlite body with the Thyrm LPC clip. While the Modlite heads are nothing to sneeze at, the single mode makes it slightly less useful for me. In a side by side comparison, the hotspot of the SureFire is an absolute lightsaber over the OKW beam. Spill is quite useful too.

QMT93

Enlightened
In a (expensive) flurry of trying out the EDC2-DFT, and Modlite PLHv2 and OKW, my favorite configuration is the EDC2-DFT head on the 18350 Modlite body with the Thyrm LPC clip. While the Modlite heads are nothing to sneeze at, the single mode makes it slightly less useful for me. In a side by side comparison, the hotspot of the SureFire is an absolute lightsaber over the OKW beam. Spill is quite useful too.
Can you take a photo of that configuration?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to get my hands on an EDC2 but it'll be a good while before I can easily access one over here.

ColeLLD

Newly Enlightened
We have two of these lights in-house.

One thing I've noticed with high-candela lights is that you can't eyeball the intensity of the hotspot indoors or at close distances (or even through beamshots). You have to use it for a couple days, out in the dark, illuminating objects at long distances and punching through the window tint on cars. This goes for all current market offerings in my experience.

After living with the SureFire a few days, I can testify to its quality, fit and finish. While it's fairly long, it's very slim, which makes it nice to carry. For tactical use, the light is totally blinding at medium range.

I know a lot of guys like the floodier, higher-lumen, higher CRI lights. This light isn't for those guys.

I myself always want more candela while maintaining enough spill for situational awareness. Candela is an extremely useful tool and I feel hamstrung without it. I want to be able to identify potential threats and avoid them while they are still far away. Without candela, I can't do that. For my purposes, then, the new SureFire is an industry-leading option from a solid company. If I do need to do admin work around the shop, then the SureFire has a low mode. Best of both worlds.

My preferences aside, it's nice to see an offering from SureFire that's competitive on price, quality and specs. Feels like the first time in a while.

@Monocrom @tango44 is there another high-candela offering on the market that you guys prefer over the SureFire? What's your preferred high-candela EDC?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The 100,000 candela rating is so absurd (in a good way). I'd love to see the beam in person. It should blow away my x300 turbo, which is impressive itself.

The high/low click switch is really a bummer though. If it had a tactician style interface or gas pedal switch I would definitely buy one. As it is I'm not sure.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I finally got one. It is smaller than a 6P and gives really good throw. It also cuts through car tint like nothing with no major flash back. I also used it to check under seats of a car and noticed even though there is a single small hot spot it does work well for car searches.

16983610150412411794696500593090.jpg