SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yikes, it came with a magnet? Sounds like a potential pocket bomb. Don't drop it.
Some flashlights won't work without a nipple on the rechargeable lithium-ion battery. If you have batts. that lack the nipple, a magnet solves that issue. Personally, I'm not a fan of using them. A light should be used with the proper battery installed.

Shooter4321

Newly Enlightened
They look like good batteries.
I don't have an EDC1 one, but depending on the springs in the light (I'm assuming they have a head and tail spring) there may be contact issues.
The supplied Surefire battery is 40mm long whilst the Keeppower one you mentioned is 35mm long (the Surefire battery has USB charging and protection while the Keeppower is unprotected).
I'm not a fan of using magnets but they may be a reasonable option, particularly if they came with the battery.
One thing to consider is battery voltage when using an unprotected battery depending on the light's low voltage circuitry.
Thank you, I'm not going to risk it lol. I'll order another surefire battery instead .

akula88

Enlightened
Thanks for checking that. Is that the internal length? (Battery cavity).
That sounds a bit long. I'm after the inside measurement from the end of the head threads to the back of the inside of the body.

I think I rounded it off too much :) Anyway, a plastic caliper does comes in handy with our hobby, (especially with batteries).

20231230_152301.jpg

I've tested these batteries (just 'flash' testing), both button and flat top.
All would work with the EDC1, though you need to be careful for those which have lesser CDRs.
20231230_153323.jpg

The three Vapcells on the right are all unprotected 18350s, while the white VC 16340 is also unprotected. EDC1-DFT is relatively forgiving in terms of the height/length of the battery. The CR123 is the shorted, while the packaged SF18350 is tall because of the on-board charging circuitry. Springs on the head and tailcap seems to take care of the wide differentials.

Attachments

• 20231230_153351.jpg
    20231230_153351.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 48

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your efforts akula.
The measurement I was after needs to be measured from the inside of the battery tube (cavity). I measured mine with a wooden chop stick on the inside edge of the battery tube (positioned as far as a battery could sit back in the tube) and marked the stick with a pen at the end of the head threads. This measurement was about 42mm.
I'm guessing the EDC1 would be about the same?
I didn't get the calipers out to measure the over all length but I got about the same eye balling against a ruler, around 55mm.
It's looking like the body I have should work with an EDC2 head.

tango44

Enlightened
Quick question, wife bought me the EDC1 DFT but she also purchased keeppower [UH1835P. They came with a magnet to make them a button top. Would these be a no no with this light?
A magnet? What do you mean? I have several of those batts and none of them has a magnet in them!
Can you post pics of the "Magnet" please?
Thank you.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A magnet? What do you mean? I have several of those batts and none of them has a magnet in them!
Can you post pics of the "Magnet" please?
Thank you.
The magnet isn't inside the battery. You put one on the positive end of a flat-top battery so that it'll work properly with certain flashlight models.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
On some the "+" pad of batteries is made of non-magnetic material, so the magnet will move and be attracted to the iron wall of the battery. It is best to wrap the side of the magnet with electrical tape so as not to accidentally short-circuit something

1704016493750.png

I solder a piece of copper on top, it works great, except for flashlights that take more than 10 amperes from the battery - the solder starts to melt

1704016663203.png

Electronics repair companies offer a service for spot welding battery terminals. You can weld a cylindrical piece of metal to the "+" contact for little money and everything will be fine. Although in some places the cost of the service may be comparable to purchasing a battery with nipple

1704016998083.png

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the sounds of it Shooter should be able to run his Keeppower batteries just fine in his EDC1, no magnet required, from what akula has posted.
With springs each end of the EDC1, the Keeppower should be fine with its flat top. Being a bit shorter it'll be compressing the springs less while the Surefire battery at 40mm would be compressing the springs quite at bit.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just keep in mind the lack of low voltage shut off (protection) on that particular Keeppower battery.

tango44

Enlightened
I use KeepPower 18350´s all the time on my EDC1 and no needs for those magnets...
Surefire 18350's batts are better option, better runtime and easier to recharge...

Goguy08

Newly Enlightened
I am somehow disappointed in purchasing this flashlight, but I will give credit where credit is due. While the build quality is fantastic, as predicted per Surefire, the finish of their products is degraded because the light I bought came with surface blemishes, roll marks, and signs of what I assume to be prior usage. Perhaps these marks were from the manufacturing process, or it was simply a re-packed customer-returned specimen since these lights are in high demand. The threads were bone dry as I received it, with no lube.

The beam pattern of this light is awful. At close-up, due to the misaligned emitter and reflector, the corona resembles the silhouette of a flower; however, the beam pattern is acceptable at a distance(you wouldn't be able to tell anyway.)

Let's talk about the bezel, and this thing is freaking huge(I know, the specs are clearly written on their product webpage, and I was hot-headed when I decided to buy this light!) The bezel diameter is as big as the G2X! If I want to carry a big chunk of metal in my pocket, I won't prioritize this light that costs nearly 300 USD. In my opinion, these newer-generation E-series lights have lost their identities of being "compact and elite."

This light uses a Surefire Dual Fuel Thread Pattern, meaning you won't be able to use the body to pair with the other older-gen E-series light heads. I suspect that Surefire will phase out the traditional E-series thread pattern, as many of those lights are being discontinued and replaced with the dual fuel thread pattern "E-series" lights.

A beam shot of the EDC1-DFT is on the left, and the G2X is on the right.

Attachments

• DSC07033 PS.jpg
    DSC07033 PS.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC07034 PS.jpg
    DSC07034 PS.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 84

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Where did you buy yours from?
Unfortunately SureFire flashlights tend to be the most faked out there.

Goguy08

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully, it wouldn't be the case, or maybe I am unlucky and got a bad example from Surefire. I bought it from a major authorized retailer on the East Coast, which I have used for years.

Attachments

• DSC07035.JPG
    DSC07035.JPG
    617.6 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC07036.JPG
    DSC07036.JPG
    573.3 KB · Views: 102

Hopefully, it wouldn't be the case, or maybe I am unlucky and got a bad example from Surefire. I bought it from a major authorized retailer on the East Coast, which I have used for years.

Just my observation on the possibility of fake items (including lights and knives). Usually for clones to appear, the item has to be high value, high demand, and been released for a period of time.

While the EDC2-DFT has been out long enough for cloning factories to set up tooling to make the item, I believe the price point ($200-ish) and demand doesn't currently drive an incentive for them to do so. Many of the cloned lights I've seen are in excess of $300 and there's a huge demand over supply for them. One of many examples is Barrel flashlights being cloned by Maeerxu; also Hankos are commonly cloned.

A quick search of the availability of a clone for this light didn't show anyone buying one or finding them on Chinese sale sites (yet).

I would say you likely have a genuine item, but maybe just a bad example.