Surefire M4

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he really needs is an M6 with a AW Bi Pin holder, 3 x17670 holder and some WA 1185 and he'll be annoying/scaring the neighbors for some time to come.

oh yeah... thats what i run on my m6 and now my neighbor REALLY does not like me.:crackup::crackup:
not sure how i want to set up my m4 yet. i would love for it to keep up with the m6. how about some ideas? :thumbsup:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new family member:

4917422221_22818aaf4f_b_d.jpg

*tenderly strokes the computer screen* I miss youuuuu. ;) Now you need to edit your signature!

computernut

Enlightened
I just ordered an HO-M3T and a couple of AW17670's. I've been really enjoying the HO-M4A so I'm hoping the drop in lumens (550 to 380) isn't a big difference. The EO-M3T was out of stock but I'll probably pick one up eventually.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M4 is actually on the way right now, ok, actually not an M4 but a 9P with A19 extender to go with my KT2 turbohead. I am very excited to see the increase in beam quality and output with the MN60 compaired to the MN15 I've been using with a G3, double the lumens, 125 vs 225 plus I hear the beam on the MN60 is very good.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run that setup and it is quite pleasing!

Ever had a chance to compair it to a real M4? I've heard that the 9P setup has slightly less brillance due to resistance of the A19 but I've also heard the KT4 looses about 20% more light OTF compaired to the KT2, so I'm curious how they would compair to each other.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I just ordered an HO-M3T and a couple of AW17670's. I've been really enjoying the HO-M4A so I'm hoping the drop in lumens (550 to 380) isn't a big difference. The EO-M3T was out of stock but I'll probably pick one up eventually.

Don't worry about not being able to snag some EO-M3Ts. The HO-M3T is actually a better match for the 17670s anyways and the overall output would not be noticeable unless the EO was driven with bigger cells. If you like tight throw, the HO-M3T is in many ways better than the EO-M3T anyways.

Congrats on your new flashlight!

Eric

computernut

Enlightened
I was out walking the dog tonight and decided to take just the stock MN60 bulb. It was pretty nice to walk around with. Not too bright, and the hotspot seemed pretty wide. Bonus is that it lasts 3x longer than the MN61 ;) Tomorrow night I'll have to give the MN61 a good trial.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also a big fan of the M4.

I really like everything about it, as well as its ability to use 18650 cells once you have it bored out as I've done with mine. It remains one of my favorites and one of my main lights I use for work.

It also provides good company for my 10X, M6, Milky-M3, Milky-M1, and both Megalenniums, one with the Megalennium 3'' head/WA1185 and one with a very special Milky KT4 turbohead!:naughty:

BSBG

Enlightened
The M4 does not get much love, even from SF fans. I find it quite a nice platform, either with 2x Li Ion and an LF bulb or the MN60. I love the MN61, but in the M4 it does not give enough additional output IMO to warrant 1/3 the run time. With the PhD M6 it's a different story :eek:.

jimbo@stn23

Newly Enlightened
The M4 does not get much love, even from SF fans. I find it quite a nice platform, either with 2x Li Ion and an LF bulb or the MN60. I love the MN61, but in the M4 it does not give enough additional output IMO to warrant 1/3 the run time. With the PhD M6 it's a different story :eek:.

Well said. I too like the M4 with the MN60 instead of the 61. I could have gotten the M6 for the same price but it seemed to be marginal increase in output for 6 cells versus the M4's 4 cells. The name doesn't hurt either. :twothumbs

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said. I too like the M4 with the MN60 instead of the 61. I could have gotten the M6 for the same price but it seemed to be marginal increase in output for 6 cells versus the M4's 4 cells. The name doesn't hurt either. :twothumbs

Plus 3...the oblong beams of the MN15/20, etc. really turn me off of any light that uses them ...guess I'm just getting harder to please. Love me some MN60 throw! Does it out throw the M6 on paper (has anyone taken lux readings out that far???)? I know my M4 will out-throw my M6...that's good enoug for me....

And yes, the name :rock:'s!!!!!

Brigadier

Enlightened
Can anyone guesstimate how far the 225 lumen LA[MN60?] in the M4 throws?

computernut

Enlightened
I think I might know why the HO-M3T isn't all that impressive, the filament seems crooked. The brightest part of the hotspot was over to one side so I took out the LA and the filament doesn't seem to be straight in relation to assembly. I'll have to call Lighthound and see what they say.

computernut

Enlightened
I think I might know why the HO-M3T isn't all that impressive, the filament seems crooked. The brightest part of the hotspot was over to one side so I took out the LA and the filament doesn't seem to be straight in relation to assembly. I'll have to call Lighthound and see what they say.

I took the HO-M3T out again last night and I'm not loving the beam, instead of an oval it's more of a jagged blotch with the hotspot on one side. If you pointed it up in the air and rotated the light you could see the bright part of the beam swirl around. I called Lighthound and they are fixing me up with a new lamp. Great service!

Brigadier

Enlightened
I took the HO-M3T out again last night and I'm not loving the beam, instead of an oval it's more of a jagged blotch with the hotspot on one side. If you pointed it up in the air and rotated the light you could see the bright part of the beam swirl around. I called Lighthound and they are fixing me up with a new lamp. Great service!

Yeah, that is the only way to tell for sure. I have several LF lamps where the bulb itself is off center, but the filament and the beam are dead nuts on center.

And Lighthound rocks!