Surefire M4

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been enjoyng my new MN60 lamp for the past couple weeks. It has the most wonderful beam I've seen on any surefire incandescent. So nice and round, ok, so not perfectly round but much better than any other lamp assembly I have. After using an MN15 for so long the Mn60 is just so plesant to use. The MN60 is, without a doubt, my favorite lamp assembley so far.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been enjoyng my new MN60 lamp for the past couple weeks. It has the most wonderful beam I've seen on any surefire incandescent. So nice and round, ok, so not perfectly round but much better than any other lamp assembly I have. After using an MN15 for so long the Mn60 is just so plesant to use. The MN60 is, without a doubt, my favorite lamp assembley so far.

Isn't it though :whistle:

computernut

Enlightened

The MN60 is a very nice lamp. Amazing what 225 lumens can look like. I received the MN60, MN61, and HO-M4A lamps with my m4 and at first I didn't even try the MN60 but I've come to realize it has a decent runtime coupled with a big throwy hotspot. I put the HO-M4A in to show off to friends though as it has a very bright hotspot that really throws. I haven't learned to love the MN61 yet, 20 minutes of runtime is a bit too short for my liking on 4x123's.

325addict

Enlightened
If it weren't for the problems with a good rechargeable setup without boring it, I would have had an M4 also :thumbsup:

I ended up with an M3 and an M6 instead... M3 loaded with 2X 17500s and M6 preferably loaded with 2X 18650s.

When I want to use THREE times 18650s I take my 3X 18650 Megalennium...

In here, I can use the WA1185 without overloading the 17670s that I would otherwise have to use in the M6. Okay, I actually DO have two of those fine 3X 17670 holders by FM, but I limit the use of them in the M6 to lamps that don't draw excessive currents (like the WA1166, 1.97 Amps or the HO-M6R).

Timmo.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If it weren't for the problems with a good rechargeable setup without boring it, I would have had an M4 also :thumbsup:

Must admit, I really love my Leef-bodied M4. It's so sweet. :)

Okay, I actually DO have two of those fine 3x17670 holders by FM, but I limit the use of them in the M6 to lamps that don't draw excessive currents (like the WA1166, 1.97 Amps or the HO-M6R).

Timmo.

Have a 3x17670 holder by mdocod. Actually have a couple of them. Also have a HO-M6R as well. Actually, have a couple of those too. lovecpf

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Good idea! . . . Looks like I'm gonna have to order a couple more of those. :huh:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 The M4 is a sweet light no matter what batteries & bulb you choose. There is *one* more way to enhance the M4 experience. Add a SW01! Even sweeter!:devil:

lasermax

Newly Enlightened
I would have to say i have the m4 and m6 but not the m3. Its going to take me time to save up after buying lights WOW

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but my new/old stock M4 is set to arrive tomorrow. I'm excited -- looking forward to using 2x17670 initially with M3T-compatible bulbs, and running the MN60 for a bit to enjoy it's wicked brightness on primaries.

Does anyone know who can bore an M4 body to accept 18650? Seems the two folks in the forum who offer boring services do not accept the M4 body. A good friend has a lathe in his shop, but I'm not sure what kind of tooling we'd need to bore such a long body, or if it is even possible.

beach honda

Enlightened
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but my new/old stock M4 is set to arrive tomorrow. I'm excited -- looking forward to using 2x17670 initially with M3T-compatible bulbs, and running the MN60 for a bit to enjoy it's wicked brightness on primaries.

Does anyone know who can bore an M4 body to accept 18650? Seems the two folks in the forum who offer boring services do not accept the M4 body. A good friend has a lathe in his shop, but I'm not sure what kind of tooling we'd need to bore such a long body, or if it is even possible.

Chris,

I am excited for you to get the M4! I currently own an M3 and it's the bees knees! Please post pictures and opinions of the light. As far as boring the light for 18mm cells, I'd recommend the same man that Will mentioned...Barry Milton of precision works. He is a perfectionist and does extremely clean work...I speak from experience :thumbsup:

I can't seem to bring myself to have my dear M3 bored out. MAYBE if I had a backup.
So yeah, post some pictures of your M4 so I can be "enabled" to lust after one!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendation of Barry @ PW -- I'll be sure to reach out when the newness has worn off and I'll be ok with not having the M4 for a few weeks.

I currently have a M3 with Malkoff MD10, a M3T with MN15, and I'm planning on confirming I'm happy with the M4 before unloading the M3T. In my opinion it just doesn't serve a purpose that the M4/M3 combo can't fulfill.

I'll be sure to take some pics this weekend and report back on the output with the MN60 & MN61 lamps. I'm planning on running rechargeables primarily, with the 12 volt lamps on standby in case I want to show off or need the extra output.

The major thing that drove me to the M4 from the M3T is the thickness of the body, the extra knurling, and the compatibility with larger capacity li-ions. I think it will be perfect as my only incan light.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just unboxed it and I have to say that along with my E2DL, this is one of the top two quality built flashlights I think I've ever laid hands on. The knurling almost sticks to your palm, the anodizing seems nice and thick, and the orange peel on the reflector just looks flawless. It was an expensive purchase, but thankfully I was able to unload some other items I hadn't been using to raise the funds.

I'm running an MN16 on 2x17670, but at some point I'll send it to PW for 18650 boring. I have plenty of LED based lights, but after seeing the performance of the MN16 versus my two "thrower" LED lights I knew that the incan serves a purpose despite the inherent shortcomings (runtime and durability to name two).

Can't wait to get the Lumens Factory EO-M3T at some point. From what I hear it has a very concentrated hot spot that throws extremely well.

Clickable thumbnail pics:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides throw and color rendition it is also nice to carry. It feels like a *flashlight.*

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing will work like WA1111 in bored out M4 with 2 new protected 18650 (3100mAh)

Beautiful color temperature, Acceptable run time safe and good bulb life.

Please note:

All MN G4 bi-pin sockets are gone and no more left also no plan for another run. So, enjoy it if you already have one.

Last edited:

cenz

Enlightened
Nothing will work like WA1111 in bored out M4 with 2 new protected 18650 (3100mAh)

Beautiful color temperature, Acceptable run time safe and good bulb life.

Please note:

All MN G4 bi-pin sockets are gone and no more left also no plan for another run. So, enjoy it if you already have one.

Will it be brighter from Unprotected 2x18650(Pana 3100mah)?

...Sorry to hear that MN Socket.

Last edited:

Latest posts